BM-03: Shinji Ikari??

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Memories Of Shinji: Months Of Good Vs A Decade of Bad

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:08 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:The BM-01/02 thing I found to be quite interesting and it was only on the third time I watched 3.33 I really noticed and started to think about the significance of it. It is something I'll be coming back to when I write the sequel to Hand.Cannot.Erase. I kinda of assumed the BM stood for something like Biomass, so an implication that whatever 01/02 was it was supposed to be some sort of living being.

My idea was that the BM01/02 didn't cause Actual Third Impact but did pose a threat in some fashion so they were very wary when BM03 appeared and it turned out to look like Shinji.

Since I'm a firm believer in the sequel theory, I think it was called BM because it was a Bio-Organic Manipulation, kinda like when Shinji was viewing himself in those alternate realities with Lilith. Like the "real" Shinji wasn't there and something that was similar to him was, and Lilith thinking it was Shinji granted him his desire, which was most likely implanted into it by Gendo.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: BM-03: Shinji Ikari??

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:17 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'm fairly certain that BM stands for BioMetric, and 03 is a reference to Shinji Ikari himself. The fact that there is a BM-03 in no way necessitates an existence of a BM-01, or BM-02, although if they felt like assigning those values to anybody, according to my belief in what it all stands for, they would be designating Rei Ayanami and Asuka Shikinami respectively. I had to do a lot of stuff when I entered the military (no longer in the military now for anyone's information), I had to give extremely detailed hand and finger prints and various other things that were used to biometrically identify me. Because of this, I could give things my biometric signature too.

A quick search on google gives this definition for biometrics:
Biometric verification is any means by which a person can be uniquely identified by evaluating one or more distinguishing biological traits. Unique identifiers include fingerprints, hand geometry, earlobe geometry, retina and iris patterns, voice waves, DNA, and signatures.

Other than the nature of biometrics itself being related to Shinji's identification, the fact that the DSS Choker's remote detonator says "Biometrics verified" confirmed the idea for me (as the most plausible explanation, not an absolute confirmation). As for what verified the "03": not only is it well known that Shinji is the Third Child, but in the same scene they refer to him as "the Code No. 3 boy". Hence, BM-03 would be short hand for being otherwise identified Biometrically as the Code No. 3 boy, and the S. Ikari?? comes from not being totally sure he is Shinji Ikari yet, despite a quick biometric verification test checking out.

SPOILER: Show

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Anno's not gonna pull a 'Tomato In The Mirror' reveal where Shinji finds out he's not really Shinji. They've already got enough plotthreads to tie down in Final we don't need another.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Nah. At most we'll find out that he and the other Children were never really Lilin in the first place.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 am

BM is an acronym for biomaterial.
Wikipedia defines a biomaterial as "any substance that has been engineered to interact with biological systems for a medical purpose - either a therapeutic (treat, augment, repair or replace a tissue function of the body) or a diagnostic one."
"BM-xx" is mainly used in labs and scientific papers (here some examples: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3124976/).
I think it's safe to presume that Anno used his typical modus operandi and used the term biomaterial in a loose way and not in a strictly scientific way, so the definition of BM could be modified a bit to identify Shinji as biomaterial in the sense the he "interact with biological systems" (Eva-01 is a biological system).
On what the "-03" really means I'm not so sure: it could be a simple reference to Shinji being the third children or maybe he is the third biomaterial that came out of Eva-01 (the SDAT wouldn't count). I tend to believe it's the first option since it's the simpler one.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”