Buildings in Live Action sequence in The End of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Buildings in Live Action sequence in The End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Of course, it also helps that that entire shot is hazy as fuck, so it helps disguise whether it's a miniature or not.

In all honesty, the cinematography for the entire live action sequence is amateurish at best and outright terrible at worst. It's like they didn't even bother hiring a DP or renting the most basic Lowel kit.

Well, if those buildings were a miniature set, then someone must have had to have rented lights at some point during the production. Also, I don't know if a lack of a light kit during principle photography is inherently a bad thing. Much of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining was all shot using the available lighting in the hotel, and little to no light kits for the movie, it it looked fantastic. But I do see what you're saying about the amateurish aesthetic of the scene. But seeing as how that amateurish aesthetic was painstakingly carried over into a very carefully choreographed special effects shot involving futuristic sci-fi buildings, I think that the lo-fi look was entirely intentional. And its use reminds me more of Jean Luc Goddard's Frech New Wave film Breathless, which makes sense seeing as how we've discussed in the past that genre's influence on Evangelion's storytelling and shot choices in general. So in the end, I can't say that it was bad, or that I didn't even enjoy it. The LA scene made me very happy, including in its carefully orchestrated lo-fi, French New Wave styles.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:47 pm

So, I was watching my Manga Entertainment copy of EoE the other night and noticed another of the fake skylines during the live action portion that's shown before Episode 25'. Which brought me to EvaMonkeys page on the alternate live action sequence;http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate-live-action-sequence/. Then I checked out the translated script on Eva Otaku to see if there was any mentions of the buildings and would ya know it, there were!

It refers to them as "mat and CG composition" at one point and "CG composition" at another.

So, it seems if the transcript is indeed legit we have an answer. :kawaii:
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 am

Yep, it's there in the original Japanese text (cf. Renewal box set's Data of Evangelion booklet).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 am

God damn, that some impressive CGI composite for a low-budget live-action production work in 1997.

EDIT: Wait, is the matte composite being done using computer graphics, or did they simply building a whole sky-line in virtual 3-D and matte it into a live-action shot?

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:24 pm

They probably are CG or miniatures after all the live action shots were supposed to take place in a reality were Shinji didn't existed in 2015-16, i mean of course that doesn't look like todays Japan but in those days you could only think on what the future was going to look like.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:51 am

I always thought the live-action sequence was supposed to be set in the real world, at an actual showing of The End of Evangelion. If there are buildings in it that don't exist in real life, that might poke a hole in my interpretation?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:08 pm

It sounds like you're talking about that one scene filmed at a showing of Death & Rebirth. The subject of the thread is a remnant of the originally planned sequence, which depicts a world where Shinji never existed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It sounds like you're talking about that one scene filmed at a showing if Death & Rebirth. The subject if the thread is a remnant of the originally planned sequence, which depicts a world where Shinji never existed.

They aren't in in the same? I always thought that the entire live-action sequence was used to show that world, and that filming the screening for D&R was simply a way to get footage for that sequence. (It's not like the movie marks that the outdoor scenes are for a sans-Shinji reality, while the indoor theater scenes are for something else entirely.)

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It sounds like you're talking about that one scene filmed at a showing if Death & Rebirth. The subject if the thread is a remnant of the originally planned sequence, which depicts a world where Shinji never existed.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”