What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:28 am

Paul this is a brand new production, not the one made a few years ago.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:40 am

Oh? So much for making assumptions! I must check that out, then. Curious that there should be a new one under the BBC label again so soon.

Also:
View Original PostNemZ wrote:I guess the Dr. Who vibe is there as well.

As it should be:
Wikipedia wrote:The novel Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has its origins in the incomplete 1979 Doctor Who television serial Shada, featuring Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. Location filming in Cambridge had been completed, but a studio technicians' dispute at the BBC meant that studio segments were not completed, and the serial was never transmitted.[8]

As a result of the serial's cancellation, Adams reused a number of ideas from this script and his other Doctor Who scripts as the basis for a new novel, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, published in 1987.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Just finished Amazon's GOLIATH with Billy Bob Thorton, William Hurt & Maria Bello.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lFfb9mXmOU
Great stuff.
Hurt is a outright super villain without going over the top performance wise even while the theatrics around him is over the top. He is just so natural at anything he plays.
Loved the use of Molly Parker (house of cards) & Olivia Thrilby (dredd) here, both really strong actresses.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Caught up on season 3 of Black Mirror today. Damn good stuff.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Finally got around to watching the first episode of Jessica Jones today. Hope I can have time to watch it over Christmas break. Also a coincidence that I get to the series when the second season is coming out in little over a month.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:22 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Caught up on season 3 of Black Mirror today. Damn good stuff.

I've been meaning to check out this show for the longest time. One description that called it a British modern-day version of The Twilight Zone was enough to sell me.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Started watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I didn't find the original Douglas Adams novel that interesting, but we'll see if the series is more captivating.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 am

I just watched the finale last night. Really enjoyable weirdness all the way through!

Director Black wrote:British modern-day version of The Twilight Zone

...Pretty accurate. Much more focused on speculative technology and social trends than just crazy twists, but similar 'the world you know but not as you know it' kind of vibe. Scarily accurate in some cases already.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:19 pm

I haven't seen it yet but the person who recommended it to me said Outer Limits, not Twilight Zone. Any truth to that?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I haven't seen it yet but the person who recommended it to me said Outer Limits, not Twilight Zone. Any truth to that?

Some parts of it are reminiscent of the Twilight Zone, although it tends to be a bit more grounded in reality and based solely around digital media, whereas TZ explored a wide range of supernatural phenomena like ghosts and such. Some episodes are set in environments very close to the modern day aside from a few technological advancements, whereas others are clearly meant to be further forward. I've never watched Outer Limits, although from what I can tell its sci-fi based premise might be a bit closer to what Black Mirror offers.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 pm

I don't know, I tend to get Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Night Gallery stuff all dumped in the same mental folder.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:20 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Some parts of it are reminiscent of the Twilight Zone, although it tends to be a bit more grounded in reality and based solely around digital media, whereas TZ explored a wide range of supernatural phenomena like ghosts and such. Some episodes are set in environments very close to the modern day aside from a few technological advancements, whereas others are clearly meant to be further forward. I've never watched Outer Limits, although from what I can tell its sci-fi based premise might be a bit closer to what Black Mirror offers.

If you enjoy this type of anthology show you need to see the original and the reboot of the Outer Limits.

It was all sci fi and Outer Limits is more noteworthy for being grim in tone and having even more frequent and nastier twist endings than Twilight Zone did.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:50 am

Just finished an all nighter watching The Man in the High Castle Season 2.

It really delivers. Amazing show.

SPOILER: Show
I hope at some point they explain where the films are coming from. We see one cross over this season but there's no explanation for where they all came from (why do they need to be *taken* to the Man in the High Castle if he knows how to cross dimensions?) or how Hitler originally got his hands on them (a whole room full of them even...)

Presumably Hitler learned about various attacks from the films that prevented the development of the Nazi nuclear program and developed the bomb. Some of their tech probably comes from the films too, like nuclear missile submarines.
the prophecy is true

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Man in the High Castle, season 2.

In between some large grimdark portions of the story does Trade Minister Tagomi get into certain hilarious scenes.

Eating Twinkies, picking up Nabokov's book... :lol: But, oh, boy he gets served with divorce papers.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:06 pm

^

I had to rewind I was laughing so hard after the twinkie scene.

Everything with Tagomi is gold, it's my favorite storyline.
the prophecy is true

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Halfway through Jessica Jones. Weird how this is my first Marvel TV show considering I've never been into comics or the movies...maybe it's the noir or compelling story. I'm definitely checking out Daredevil and Luke Cuge after this.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:26 am

Sherlock S4E1

Amanda Abbington is just awesome and lovely as she was last season.
She gets this utterly priceless "how the fuck" reaction moment.

Also... I UNDERSTAND NOW... MAJOR SPOILERS...
People who get upset with the "women in refrigerators" trope, It has rarely ever bothered me before, I am pissed as fuck now.
Fuck Watson for cheating, fuck Sherlock for insulting the old lady into shooting him out of spite which Mary blatantly warned him against.
FUCK EVERYTHING!

Edit........
Watson cheating is the single most out of character action I have witnessed in 25 years of absorbing entertainment, what the actual fuck.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 am

Taboo episode one

Well, as a Tom Hardy fanboy I was already obligated to watch this series, but MAN I am enjoying it immensely already. I am really excited to find out about his character's backstory, he seems the perfect blend of likeable anti-hero and incorrigible bastard.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Taboo episode one

Well, as a Tom Hardy fanboy I was already obligated to watch this series, but MAN I am enjoying it immensely already. I am really excited to find out about his character's backstory, he seems the perfect blend of likeable anti-hero and incorrigible bastard.

Oh dear gods, it's Tom Hardy at his Tom Hardiest. I don't think you can get any Tom Hardier than he was in this show, and I will be absolutely devouring it from start to finish.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 am

Sherlock... I thought they were losing it in the second episode of this season, but the last one just went completely crazy. Oh, the players acted their characters just fine, but - well, the whole thing was just so stupid I can't call it anything other than a complete waste of time. What a way to wreck a franchise!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Film and Video”