Forum Theme Issues - reporting and discussion

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Forum Theme Issues - reporting and discussion

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

It's like I've died and gone to 1995.

This transparency level does make it easier to see the menu text. That light blue text color kinda blends in.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:25 pm

The transparency just makes everything harder for me.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Yeah, I don't like it myself. The thing was to try to give a bit more sense of how this current banner worked - it's rather spoiled when you can't see what the images actually show!

It is the essence of experiments that they can fail!

[hr]

Gone!

EDIT:

[hr] <-- I hate it when BBCode has different syntax in different forums...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Oh good, it's gone. Still not a fan of the banner -- the text everywhere makes navigation needlessly confusing IMO -- but at least I can get at the links I need without puzzling out where they actually are!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:15 am

I actually liked the transparency, the links were clear enough to me, but I can see how it could be harder for others to see. Maybe it could become a customization option in the future?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:21 pm

I'll see if that's practical, then. I'll finally finish work in two weeks, so I'll have more time for these side pursuits.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I've recently skimmed the forums a bit after getting a rekindled interest in Eva, and I noticed (maybe it's related to not being logged in?) that URL links within posts aren't clickable anymore? As in, you have to copy/paste the link and enter it into your browser. I don't believe this is an issue of mobile vs PC, either.

Also, I'm lowkey hoping they'll be an eventual return of the Thread list that we had near the banner. It was a super helpful resource (especially since as far as I can tell, the search feature for threads/whatever else is still a bit broken).

If these issues were previously addressed, then don't mind me :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 pm

There is certainly interest in re-implementing the thread list (because it would need writing from scratch), but there's certainly no timetable for it.

As for clicking links in posts - I do it all the time (in multiple desktop browsers, and on my mobile)... I'm sure if it didn't work in general there would be many, many complaints about it! Do you get any message? What happens if you try it in a browser that you do not normally use?

(I also tried when logged out, and it still worked fine)
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:URL links within posts aren't clickable anymore
Some, but not all of them, lost the actual linkage when we moved across forum versions just over a year ago, and there are other places where BBCode markup is left literal rather than being interpreted. I'm gradually applying manual fixes (open post for edit, save it) to affected posts, but it's slow going.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Tines: I see, thanks for clarifying!

As an example from the Rebuild Image Scans thread, things like this (from the second to last page, I think): https://imgur.com/a/rVit0

Might be a mobile vs PC issue but I believe it's still wonky on my PC. Occasionally, thread formatting looks strange (all posts usually on an "opening" thread page are simply italics or indented, the next page is fine), too—but maybe that's been recently resolved?

Hope that helps with diagnosing! :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 am

The image shows a classic example of the lost-in-translation problem -- uppercased URL tags not being processed, as well as the bare URL above them just being plain text. One of the staff (or the original poster) opening for edit and resaving that post unchanged will fix it.

Having practised on the Anime subforum, I'm slowly working through Discussion, from the beginning towards now -- it takes time because while scanning for broken BBCode (and encoding issues from before the 2007 move), I often end up reading the threads as well.

Occasionally, thread formatting looks strange (all posts usually on an "opening" thread page are simply italics or indented, the next page is fine), too
I found (and fixed) one user from long ago whose signature was just an opening [ı] tag, which broke the rest of the page after their posts, but there may be others.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 am

So, I just blitzed through thread/6529/Rebuild-image-scans-thread/ and should have fixed up most of the BBCode failures there. I'm still in Spring 2005 in the Discussion forum, though.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”