Obscure technical questions - For writing research

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Markal
Embryo

Obscure technical questions - For writing research

•      
  •      

Postby Markal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:21 am

Hey there, everyone. First time on the Evageeks forum, so I'll also say my hellos here. Anyways, I'm working on a piece of fiction for Eva, so I'm in need of everyone's knowledge. I personally haven't watched episodes from the original NGE series for years, so my memory/knowledge are currently spotty. I may therefore have missed some stuff while rehashing.

Thus, I have some questions regarding some obscure details that I would very much appreciate assistance with:

- Is Unit-02 the only Eva capable of using Type-D (magma diving) equipment? From what I can recall, Unit-00 wasn't capable of doing so, but I'm trying to remember if Unit-01 had a similar inability to use the diving suit. - ANSWERED

- Who originally requested/sanctioned/ordered Asuka/Unit-02's transfer from Europe over to Japan? My memory is still a little fuzzy about whether it was SEELE or Gendou or someone else entirely...

- If an Eva is resting in its cage, is it actually possible for it to freely move about unaided if the soul inside is motivated to do so? Can it only make certain movements under extreme duress (Such as the movements made by Unit-01)? Or is it strictly dependent upon power/activation status? - ANSWERED

Once again, your assistance is very much appreciated. If any other questions come to mind, I'll re-edit and post on this message here.
Last edited by Markal on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Obscure technical questions - For writing research

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:40 pm

View Original PostMarkal#854129 wrote:If an Eva is resting in its cage, is it actually possible for it to freely move about unaided if the soul inside is motivated to do so? Can it only make certain movements under extreme duress (Such as the movements made by Unit-01)? Or is it strictly dependent upon power/activation status?

Nerv seem to regard it as a possibility against which precautions must be taken, whatever that is worth.

Consider: They make use of a special plug called a "stop signal plug" (yeah, same "stop signal" as traffic lights); it's that black one with the cross on the top you get a good look at when Eva-00 is being excavated from bakalite. The name of the device implies that it emits something that helps keep the Eva "stopped", that is, from activating. Since the object resides in the same artificial gap within the spinal column that the entry plug uses, it's likely that it's creating some sort of neuronal interference which, along with its function as a physical blockade, would help prevent the Eva from circumventing that gap in some way and completing the circuit of their central nervous system.

Eva-01's brief movement in episode #01 is accomplished in spite of having a stop signal plug inserted. Whether this represents the full extent of the movement possible under such circumstances, it's impossible to say. Since you are writing fanfic, you have an opportunity to explore how these mechanics work in much greater detail and cohesion than was possible in the original work.

As for the D-Type equipment, Eva-01's compatibility isn't even brought up. If she was compatible, Gendo would have immediately ruled out using her anyway. Eva-01's hardware is more advanced than 00's, so 01 using the D-Type could well be possible.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Markal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Markal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Nerv seem to regard it as a possibility against which precautions must be taken, whatever that is worth.

As for the D-Type equipment, Eva-01's compatibility isn't even brought up. If she was compatible, Gendo would have immediately ruled out using her anyway. Eva-01's hardware is more advanced than 00's, so 01 using the D-Type could well be possible.

Ah. So in other words, much of this has fanwank leeway. Thank you very much for your insightful responses! Now to continue on with research and see if I can find out if it was Gendou or SEELE who passed authority to have Asuka transferred to Tokyo-3...
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:16 am

View Original PostMarkal wrote:Gendou or SEELE who passed authority to have Asuka transferred to Tokyo-3...

The only tidbit I can find on the matter is that Eva-02 was entrusted to the UN's Pacific fleet by the Second Branch.

Gendo's authority is over Nerv Headquarters itself, so I wouldn't think he was responsible. He is able to achieve some measure of even deeper influence via his relationship with Kiel and tenuous role in the committee -- but, as we see when the MP Evas are covertly constructed around the world and when other Magi systems are used to hack into Nerv HQ, this does not extend to oversight and command over other Nerv branches. Seele probably provide clearance to send Eva-02 to Japan after enough Angels have attacked to establish that they're targeting Lilith alone, rather than the pieces of Adam (embryo and Kaworu) housed in Germany; thus they felt secure in letting Eva-02 help beef up security in Tokyo-3.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”