Impact trigger discrepancy

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Impact trigger disrepancy

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:That's the problem I have with this movie. Everyone makes mistakes but only Shinji is held accounatble and blamed.

Who is Wille shooting at again? Oh yeah, Gendo.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Wille was created soley to make Nerv accountable for their actions. Sure, Shinji needs to be kept in check, but Nerv is the main goal.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Plus Nerv was on the business end of some military action in the past. Wille knows Seele and Gendo are the true culprits and Misato is hellbent to destroy them.

CyberXIII wrote:Kaworu probably was being fed a line of bullshit and didn't realize it until it was too late. Again, what benefit does he get from lying to Shinji? He needs Shinji to trust him and explicitly does not want to cause 4th Impact. Now some people would take this too far in the other direction and claim he was in love with Shinji (developer commentary does not help here) but he clearly is more worried about Shinji than, say, Misato or Asuka.

Basically what Sachi said. Kaworu and Seele both thought everything was going according to plan until it was too late. Seele didn't even realize Gendo had played them for fools before he eliminated them and by the time Kaworu caught on to what was happening, Shinji was too desperate to pull back.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Who is Wille shooting at again? Oh yeah, Gendo.

Well... From what we were shown, guns were pointed at Shinji, bomb collar placed on him, and all the forces of Wille were gunning for him once he shown up in Eva 13, and they got nowhere near Gendo. :P

So yes, while realistically Nerv and Gendo are mankinds enemy, Shinji is the one the narrative points the condemning finger at.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 am

The guns and collar were placed on Shinji as a precautionary method as up until a particular point they weren't even completely sure that it was him. Misato asks during the cell sequence whether or not they are sure it is definitely Shinji and it isn't long after that is confirmed that the Wunder is attacked by Rei. There is no opportunity for them to have proper dialogue or for the collar to be removed.

As for the other point, of course they were gunning for him when he was in Evangelion Unit 13. He was about to do a very stupid thing and actually trigger the Fourth Impact. They had to stop him.

The narrative is blurred as to who is actually to blame. Kaworu does the bulk of putting the blame on Shinji but it's fairly cryptic. Misato/Ritsuko never actually blame him for it. Asuka mentions that Shinji has triggered one Impact and is about to trigger another but we don't exactly how much she does/doesn't know at that point.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 am

I never said that thay didn't had a good reason to assault him when he piloted 13. I just pointed out that all their efforts were focused on him and nowhere near Gendo :P
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:35 am

Precautions such as bomb collar are explained by the bloody movie and entirely logical for reasons explained ad infinitum. No one is in any position to claim similar precautions weren't first taken with Asuka and Mari, either. Remember that information myopia I talked about...?

Wille targeted Eva-13 long before they knew Shinji was inside it. Because why? Because it was a never before seen type of Eva that could only have been deployed by ... guess who. Asuka is surprised to find Shinji piloting the damn thing but he made a (bad) choice and she has a job to do. Stop Gendo's "executor", stop whatever shit he's planning. One can wonder why Wille waits for Gendo to make a move before they do, but targeting 13 had nothing to do with a perceived anti-Shinji narrative and everything to do with not letting the Big Bad have his way.

Come on, Stillborn. You're not even trying anymore.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:I never said that thay didn't had a good reason to assault him when he piloted 13. I just pointed out that all their efforts were focused on him and nowhere near Gendo

That was simply dealing with the immediate threat, which was indeed one of Gendou's moves in any case.

Reichu wrote:One can wonder why Wille waits for Gendo to make a move before they do,

Because they didn't previously have adequate power for the Wunder to undertake such a move; and once they have (in the form of Unit-01) presumably they were preparing when Eva 13 appeared (which they were indeed monitoring for in some way).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Come on, Stillborn. You're not even trying anymore.

You can tell, huh? Well it's not worth trying anymore. And I can't explain and convey the complexicity the way it's tangled in my head.
Another jaded man.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:54 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:You can tell, huh? Well it's not worth trying anymore. And I can't explain and convey the complexicity the way it's tangled in my head.

It's not really complex, though. Gendo's the enemy, and Shinji went and agreed to work for him even though everyone he knew told him not to get into the freakin' robot. Shinji's not a scapegoat at that point, just a confused idiot working for the bad guy. Claiming he's the only one held accountable for his actions just isn't true.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's not really complex, though. Gendo's the enemy, and Shinji went and agreed to work for him even though everyone he knew told him not to get into the freakin' robot.

Incomprehensible lookalikes of everyone he knew. From his perspective it's quite a difference.
Another jaded man.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 am

Stop moving the goal posts, please.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am

Huh? I didn't noticed I moved something. I just answer what I can. But whatever. I'll just get stressed more if I keep this up. I shouldn't even got involved. Everyone's opinions are already set.
Another jaded man.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 am

I used the wrong term to describe what you're doing, so my bad there. I was pointing out how you abruptly shifted focus from your whole "Everyone makes mistakes but only Shinji is held accounatble and blame" tract. Multiple debunks were provided, and rather than respond in a way that indicates you're interested in an evidence-based exchange of ideas, you ultimately resort to dangling an only tangentially related assumption you probably know from experience will get bites. Naturally, if you keep people busy chasing after an endless string of diversions, you won't be forced to actually defend your own position (as by debunking the arguments others have made) in any appreciable way. You're not really in any position to complain about the rigidity of others when your own participation is so one-sided.

Anyway, topic...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 am

Is that so... Sorry then. I have tropuble keeping track of my own toughts and directions they follow. But yes, I'm done derailing.
Another jaded man.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:One can wonder why Wille waits for Gendo to make a move before they do

Yeah, this is a big issue. Nerv is practically wide open, they have at least a match for them in terms of evas, and can apparently enter their airspace with impunity now so really what the hell were they waiting for? What's more, why do they just leave at the end when all the evas and angels are out of the picture? None of this makes any damn sense.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:39 pm

What are they supposed to do at that point? There's no one left to attack.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Bagheera wrote:What are they supposed to do at that point? There's no one left to attack.

Well they could level the place and kill the mastermind and his man servant, I mean, they are literally right above the hole where NERV HQ is... seems like a missed opportunity, or a colossal fuck up on Misato's part which goes back to everyone's focus seems to be on Shinji instead of the real culprits here, Gendo, NERV and SEELE. But she is blinded by that Shinji hate, and doesn't see NERV as a threat without an EVA, which logic dictates that at this point leaving the enemy intact while they are defenseless is the dumbest thing ever.

Yes, yes, Shinji fucked up big time pulling out those Spears when he did, but so far in 3.33 he's just had a whole bunch of people tell him nothing of consequence other than don't get in an EVA even though he can no longer pilot an EVA (WILLE) to NERV where dear daddy tells him to get in the giant robot again, fuytuski tells him Rei is a clone of his mommy, Kaworu goes and tells him he caused all this and then he's told that to fix it all we go grab these two pointy bits out from the dead thing in dad's basement, then at the last second Kaworu realizes he's been duped and says "don't" and to be fair, Shinji's been getting fragments of a story since he was brought back, so anything he does without the full picture is going to fuck something up more than it already is.

So really the blame is on everyone around him (including the two adults in kids bodies) for not explaining why he shouldn't do anything and just stay out of the way, but their hate clouds that and all they see is the destroyer of Earth, Shinji Ikari. And Kaworu of course took all that time to convince Shinji this was the right thing to do and can't undo his convincing in time, and boom, another Angel appears and 4I starts.

Shinji may be triggering all his, but the inactions of others are giving him a wide birth to do so.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Yeah, this is a big issue. Nerv is practically wide open, they have at least a match for them in terms of evas, and can apparently enter their airspace with impunity now so really what the hell were they waiting for?

The Wunder was a match for the Mk IVs once it had Unit-01 installed, but before that it couldn't even fly! Once they had power, they would doubtless have planned an attack, but the crisis came first.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:57 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Yeah, this is a big issue. Nerv is practically wide open, they have at least a match for them in terms of evas, and can apparently enter their airspace with impunity now so really what the hell were they waiting for? What's more, why do they just leave at the end when all the evas and angels are out of the picture? None of this makes any damn sense.

I would have thought that Wille, being a fleet made up of only sea-fairing ships and one water-logged AAA Wunder, was limited in their abilities to travel over land to fight Nerv. It's not like they had any land vehicles large enough to transport enough batteries for two whole Evangelion units during an elongated Eva battle between them and Nerv, never mind powering the Evas as they traveled by foot over land however many miles are between the oceans and the Nerv Base. And they only other air vehicles we see in Wille's possession were helicopters, which aren't of the proper size and don't have the adequate power needed to transport Evas by air.

I think this would mean that Wille was water-logged until they could get Unit 01 and its S2 Engine to power the flying features of their AAA Wunder. Being water-logged would mean not being able to attack the land-dwelling Nerv Base until they acquired another mode of transportation. Nerv having more advanced Eva technology that can travel across multiple tundras places them in a position to attack Wille while they're water-logged, placing Wille in a mostly defensive position until they could acquire the S2 Engine-ladened Eva Unit 01. But when they finally captured the S2 Engine, allowing them to travel by air over land, they could finally start planning their attack on the land-dwelling Nerv Base itself, as we saw towards the end of Eva Q after they were able to prove their flying capabilities in a defensive measure for the first time at the start of the film.

Now, how Wille managed to get the Evas to the oceans to begin with is the real aspect of the narrative that doesn't make sense. But it's a minimal complaint, and, out of everything that needs answering in Shin Eva, how Evas were initially transported from land to sea is the least of NTE's concerns. All that matters is that they got to the oceans somehow, and can't go back on land until they've regrouped and rebuilt their technology.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”