Evangelion in the New Year

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Evangelion in the New Year

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:23 pm

Starting December 28th, I started what's going to be a tradition to me: rewatching Evangelion and finishing it up with EoE on New Year's Eve. It's more then getting me more into anime, but to represent how much this series helped me with my depression with it's characters and the messages.

So, in honor of what has been the Year of Evangelion for me, I'm using what I got from it for my New Year's resolution...no it's not get away copying Shinji in for what he did in the hospital or making a clone akin to Rei...it's the specific message that Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. If you'd told me that before I watched Eva, I would've laughed you off as being corny, but from seeing how it's portrayed here, I'm going to do my best to be happy. Even with the prospect of me going to college soon; even with my pessimism with the fact that America is going to be led by a sociopathic internet troll, I'm using that message to keep confidence and live my life.

Does anyone have or used to have a New Years Resolution based on Evangelion?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Evangelion in the New Year

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:30 pm

Well, to continue writing my fanfic until it's finished, come hell or high water.

Also, not to drink Tang, as it may contain multiple human consciousnesses -o-;

Pretty good New Year's tradition however. Great way to ring in the new year while watching the previous one collapse into a sea of LCL
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

(Not)
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 am

I have a very interesting little NGE fan-project I'm working on, and I hope to at least finish phase one of it in 2017; hopefully phase two also. More details when I actually have presentable work. :)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:25 am

My resolution is to actually finish the damned bloody chapters of Crying Man that I've spent the past year either ignoring or struggling under self-imposed duress to get out. I'll worry about additional chapters after that.

I do need to sit down with my boyfriend and watch the series together for the first time (we've seen it separately, but never together), but there's no real hurry. It'll happen when the right mood hits us.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:58 am

I haven't watched the whole series since the summer of 2014, and I'm thinking waiting for the blu ray to be licensed for western release is a futile exercise, so probably in the summer I'll give the show another watch.

Also this will be the first time I've watched it in Japanese. I originally experienced Eva in its English dub and I've become used to those voices. However, with the years I've spent on this site, watching YouTube videos on the subject, it's finally clicking in on just how badly they fucked up and even showing a lack of respect for the work, EoE especially. From the bits of the Japanese dub I've seen, I can already tell it's a superior production. So while I still can't hate the English dub as it is what brought me into this anime, but now I'm excited to experience Evangelion in its original form!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

(Not)
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:10 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I haven't watched the whole series since the summer of 2014, and I'm thinking waiting for the blu ray to be licensed for western release is a futile exercise, so probably in the summer I'll give the show another watch.

Also this will be the first time I've watched it in Japanese. I originally experienced Eva in its English dub and I've become used to those voices. However, with the years I've spent on this site, watching YouTube videos on the subject, it's finally clicking in on just how badly they fucked up and even showing a lack of respect for the work, EoE especially. From the bits of the Japanese dub I've seen, I can already tell it's a superior production. So while I still can't hate the English dub as it is what brought me into this anime, but now I'm excited to experience Evangelion in its original form!

I'm the opposite. I got into NGE through the sub, and I know that the dub was fucked up very badly, but I'm still curious to watch it, and hope to do so this year.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I do need to sit down with my boyfriend and watch the series together for the first time (we've seen it separately, but never together), but there's no real hurry. It'll happen when the right mood hits us.

Watching Eva is best when you find someone who shares the love for it together.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I'll watch Revival of Evangelion (Death(true)² and EoE) with some AMVs until 2016 is over.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:57 pm

I've started my approximately every 4 year rewatch of the series (last done in the aftermath of the release of Q in theatre in Japan), currently up to episode 6. The material is familiar, but with enough time passing, the details blur into summary, so I can watch with as near new eyes as I can ever manage -- for example, this time around I actually noticed and WTF'd at the blooper (noted on the commentary already, thankfully) about Misato's arrival at the station in episode 4. For the first time I'm watching the Platinum version, rather than the original OA DVDs, which gives the occasional WTF just in itself (the changes in the episode titles, mainly).

In other bits of tidying up around the house, I unearthed the disk with Rebuild 1.01 on, that had gone walkabout since sometime around 2009, and the notepad that has the rough jottings of the next chapter of my long-stagnant multi-crossover Eva fic, so I might get around to updating and typing that up too. I might take a sidestep, with the equivalent original take fresh in mind, to rewatch 1.01 at this point, too. New Year's Day is forecast to be wet, so I might well not stir much from bed and just do those things.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:39 am

Here's my New Years Revolution that's related to Evangelion:

This year, I want to make a better sandwich than I have in years past. And I will do this following one simple rule--
If you put a certain amount of peanut butter on one slice of bread, then you must put evangelion the other slice.

:gunmouth:
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:39 am

We had quite a decent Instrumentality thread on /a/ last night, the sort of thing that hasn't happened here in years. The response to my post quoting Sartre went in directions I hadn't seem before, at least that I could recall.

And talking of recollection, rewatching 1.01, it was indeed a rather more downbeat take on the same material as episodes 1-6, and it wasn't just that the gloomy lighting balance in that version had stuck in my memory -- not only was Re!Shinji more of an introspective misery-guts than the original, even getting in an early hell-train ride, but so were practically everyone else.

Onwards now to Jet Alone!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:06 pm

Taking a step laterally, Evangelion timeliners assure us that today is (probably) the sacred day of Tangification!

So my New Years resolution is probably signing up to be a wiki custodian or whatever because did you guys know you have TWO timelines?

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_E ... n_Timeline
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Complete_Evangelion_Timeline

Or maybe do do the commentary for episode 7. It's up next and nobody likes it but ME.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:46 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:So my New Years resolution is probably signing up to be a wiki custodian or whatever because did you guys know you have TWO timelines?

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_E ... n_Timeline
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Complete_Evangelion_Timeline

Or maybe do do the commentary for episode 7. It's up next and nobody likes it but ME.

Thanks for reminding me to stop being such a lazy ass and becoming a lazy ass contributing to an entire website about an anime.

Seriously though, I mean it :sweatdrop:

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am

So Third Impact is now officially over a year overdue.

As Shinji is obviously long past the "Nobody wants me, so everyone can just die" phase and into "You know what, I just don't give a shit anymore" mode, my belated new year's resolution is to do Shinji's job for him, bring about Third Impact and ruin everything.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Cobadome
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am

Hey this is my first post here in the forum. Want to say hello to everyone :-)In 2016 im with my girlfriend 7 years together and for the first time we watched Eva the whole series with Movies and the Rebuilds. And she loved it after 3 episodes she was addict ;-) And im so happy that we share this together. And another great thing we visit the Evangelion Tokyo 01 Store in Ikebukuro ;-) 2016 was awesome and i hope that for the new year. sorry for my bad english :uhh:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

The last couple of months have been quite hectic -- I'd gotten up to episode 16 in the first few days of the year, and then suddenly work on all sorts of stupid timescales. So it wasn't until last night I broke my total anime drought and watched episode 17.

Now, following some of the analysis done in years past, I'd filed that as "the episode everyone talks about food" (you know, like Lucky Star episode 1); and I was amazed at quite how much content there actually was packed into the one episode, including scenes I was sure were in episode 18. None of the other previous episodes have done that quite so much.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”