Neon Genesis IMPACTS ( A short video )

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

Neon Genesis IMPACTS ( A short video )

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv5qc0RpBk0
I found this short film online that ties into the rebuilds, I was wondering if this is canon or not.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Neon Genesis IMPACTS ( A short video )

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:04 pm

It's #32 of the series of shorts produced by Khara under the general direction of Anno with the title "Japan Animator Expo". It is not canon as part of any Evangelion series as far as is known; there are a couple of others that have close connections to Evangelion, though, including one with animation supposedly taken from the removed last section of Evangelion 3.33 "Q".

There's a big thread on the whole series here, and this video is discussed starting from this page here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:07 am

It's weird because the animation style is so different but the uniforms & setting seem to be Tokyo-3 ish complete with students leaving all the time.
The girls seem younger than the Children too, or maybe it's just the art. Or they're in a parallel class, the kids aren't referenced but

It seems like something of a 'lower decks episode', or a gene shift like a super cute music anime but the sitting is still itself.

Are we to understand that she's crushed by a falling EVA in the end or that these are the events at the end of 2.22? I think I heard something like the lance piercing sounds.

Them talking about a future that will never come sure drives the horror home.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Not a fan of this Animator Expo short in the least. I found the song atrociously bland, the animation ugly (background art is stellar though & truly deserving of praise), the story lacking in emotion & the three main characters unbearably annoying. All in all I felt it was one of the weakest entries in the otherwise wonderful Animator Expo from Studio Khara.

Of course, I did like it when the lead squeaky girl died in the end.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 am

I'm not against the whole idea of shorts and I think this is a good one saying that though the tone feels far to happy to carefree I'm not saying that the kids wouldn't have fun but I think if the angels were coming and impacts were a thing I see there being a real sense of foreboding since your world could end in a heartbeat.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:27 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Are we to understand that she's crushed by a falling EVA in the end or that these are the events at the end of 2.22? I think I heard something like the lance piercing sounds.

Yes, the sound effects are taken directly from the fight with the 10th Angel. Whether or not she is crushed is up to the viewer, I think; it does seem to be implied, but Shinji wasn't squished when Unit 02's head breached his shelter, so . . . :shrug:

Of course, 3I happened right after this, so who knows? The way I see it everything's up in the air. The cut of that final shot makes it look like a bad end, but OTOH Misato and a bunch of others clearly got out so maybe our not-so-intrepid heroine did as well. I would laugh if we get an act from the Impacts in Final!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Apox
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apox » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:04 pm

So this supposedly happens in 2015, however in the rebuilds there is evidence pointing that the series takes place in 2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:19 pm

That is a common conclusion (and the one I used in dating my related fic), but I don't think it's entirely unambiguous. And if the animators of the short got it wrong, so what, really? Even if they'd worked on Rebuild, on a few people would even need to know dates in detail.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:30 pm

What evidence is there that the Rebuilds take place in 2017?
Unless there are things I've missed over the past decade I thought the Rebuilds went out of their way to not set the story in a given year.
Am I wrong?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:42 pm

This link refers back to this one - there's a calendar shown whose day/date combinations only work in 2017 (for 1.11, placing 2.22 in 2018). There's also this discussion. But honestly it's as likely that someone just didn't think to check the calendar, so the date could really remain vague.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Huh. I had no idea. Very interesting...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”