Undertale

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:12 am

The metascore is not really a quality indicator as much as a percentage of positive reviews.
Not sure undertale brings something new but it includes a VN minigame within the combat, so you play with emotions and anime archetypes like Idk the tsunderplain. Or the guy who flexes a lot. It's great because it's nonlethal and spares you the rpg combat bullshit.
About portal, the gun is not the new thing and has little reason to be called gun to begin with according to fps design, story wise it's about perspective (dethroning glados to replace her another eye and such) while design wise it experiments how much freedom a player gets in cinematic shooters like half life in that you never lose control but you are always bound to come back into the same space.
So portal 2> portal but if you want the real game p2 co op's is the real choice;0

edit so I'm finally fighting the king but I have nothing to heal. Guess I'll just try till perfection. If I have to kill it.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 am

This game broke my heart. My poor, fragile heart.

I'll be honest, this is just one of those things you really just sort of have to play in order to really get a feel for. Its just hard to talk about anything without getting into spoilers. I found some of the dialogue to be kind of wanting, but the characters are both endearing and entertaining, the enemies can be strangely hilarious, the plot is much better then you'd expect, so on and so forth.

Really, I haven't felt something for a game like this in a loooooong time. That by itself was a treat.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Undertale, found a secret path. Little did I know.....got myself some temmie flakes so they can fuck off.
Also I managed not to kill Undyne and for some reason I ended up at her home and it's full of anime awkwardness.
*how will you put the noodles?
>Fiercely
*house burns*

Godamnit she challenged me and I have no healings why.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:19 am

So im noticing a lot of people who play this game cant seem to get over an intense hate-boner for alphys, despite her being arguably the most developed character in the game.
Another thing I've noticed is those people tend to be the exact same type of person she is so im seeing a lot of the Shinji effect in play here....
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:32 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:So im noticing a lot of people who play this game cant seem to get over an intense hate-boner for alphys...

Where? I haven't really seen any signs that there's any that has their own little hatedom. Not even Chara.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:44 pm

99% of it is either lets players or some people on the subreddit, I classify it as "a lot" but the number is probably quite small its just the people i have seen moan about her were super loud and wouldn't shut up.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Which is true but it's them not seeing what's going on until mettaton spells it out.

oh... you meant people.:p

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 pm

I have seen some negative opinions about Alphys on the SomethingAwful forum thread. But, well, she is a bit goony, and, as the old saying goes, there is nothing goons dislikes more than other goons.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Actually I can buy some people will just be cruel on some characters like they do on real people. No need to be a goon. But in this case Alphys is like an embodiment of what anime writers think of the anime audience, which is annoying assholes who are given better people than them (Rei/Asuka/Misato etc to Shinji, you/mettaton and undyne to alphys). What you do through the whole alphys related thing is destroying the fantasy she is familiar with while still giving her your number and building a small relationship. Ultimately she won't let mettaton go but she may get out of her shell a bit after realizing things in retrospective from the end result, also you are still friends so there's some hope despite the downer farewell. Kind of good feels with no shmalz, I feel people hating on her do it on impulse thinking whoever came up with such character must think of the fans as annoying or something. No need to make a big deal out of it.

blech I want to go back to ramiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Undertale

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 pm

2015 retro GoTY alongside Phantom Pain's modern GoTY.

Soooo glad our gameplay worked out right on first/only playthrough (and we went in blind!) and so much for recommending this to any kids we know because of that
SPOILER: Show
damn creepypasta style of Genocide route/ending. And it affects later pacifist runs! (Why Chara why) Definitely a "punishment" to show you "You want to see how far you get by murdering everyone?", IMO.

Now, the 2 boss fights of Undyne and sans are wicked awesome, but besides that, nope. Can't watch it all. :crybaby: I'll take my True End Pacifist run, thank you!

Reading up on Genocide route certainly makes you appreciate True Pacifist route all the more, I think!

We tried both "Go home" options for the True End final credits--an Easter Egg with sans earlier on implies Frisk returning home is the canon of the credits variations. And apparently sans is a time-traveler too, not just an awesome goofball :tongue: The picture you find of sans and company is the one from the end of the return home option.

Very cool the creator was a famous Earthbound hacker--Zap wondered why he knew the name before!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:39 am

My brother tried to play this game and stopped an hour in. Wanted to roleplay as a tough black guy character and his sprite was white... :huh:
Other than that, is the game any good?
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Yes, very much so.
Also the PC isn't white, he/she is yellow.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 pm

To be honest,I will give Undertale a 6/10
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

rarzilla
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rarzilla » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:22 pm

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 am

Oh boy, this game. This fucking game.

I have the game and I want to play it, but the fanbase is so unspeakably retarded that I feel ashamed even owning it, and I really don't want the stupid to rub off on me.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Soon...after begs from two of my friends, I will see what this hype is about (And finally see Megalovania in action).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 am

Well...the hype is definitely deserved. Makes me remember how much of a video game addict I was as kid.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”