Audio Comparison: Pleasure Principle & Troops March on

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kamon-san
Adam

Audio Comparison: Pleasure Principle & Troops March on

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I began a small project yesterday that requires me to rewatch the entire series slowly, pausing VERY VERY often and doing quite a bit of image editing. It's a thorough and fun little project that I will be happy to share it with you guys once it's done. (I'm currently at episode 16).

While I was watching episode 13 ''Lilliputian Hitcher'', I noticed something. At 18:35, when Balthasar gets completely overtaken by the Angel and the selfdestruction sequence is activated, the BGM that plays in the background really reminded me of another tune I had heard recently.

The BGM in question is ''Pleasure Principle'' by Shiro Sagisu, which is track 15 on the second NGE OST.

I realized it sounded quite a bit like a tune I had heard in Final Fantasy VI, which a friend and I are currently finishing too; it sounds like ''Troops March On'', by Nobuo Uematsu.

To show you guys (or rather to allow you to listen to the comparison), I quickly made this video:

http://youtu.be/jd5GCuN7RUs

I thought it was fun. =) Back to editing!

Alpatron
Embryo

Re: Audio Comparison: Pleasure Principle & Troops March on

•      
  •      

Postby Alpatron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Hey and I thought I was the only one who noticed. I've actually made a comparison video of my own. (https://youtu.be/ZqH5ypXd_pA)
Oh very well. Did you post this somewhere on the Eva reddits? 'Twas and 'tis my intent to do so.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm

It just so turns out, Sagisu (along with fellow anime music composer Tsuneyoshi Saito) is credited for arrangement on the Final Fantasy VI orchestral arrange album Grand Finale, which came out in May 1994. "Troops March On" is one of the selections.

Kamon-san, I'm getting a "video not found". Alpatron's works, though. Hearing them like that, the similarity is pretty obvious. I honestly feel dumb for having never noticed on my own.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alpatron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alpatron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Incidentally, Sagisu (along with fellow anime music composer Tsuneyoshi Saito)
is credited for arrangement on the Final Fantasy VI orchestral arrange album Hrand Finale, which came out in May 1994. "Troops March On" is one of the selections.

Kamon-san, I'm getting a "video not found".

Very intriguing, I must say. I actually forgot about that album, I shall listen to it and maybe even acquire it, thanks for the reminder. At last we know where the inspiration may have stemmed from. In relation to the lost video, you can check my version as it is up.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”