Evangelion: Illustrious Thesis

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

Evangelion: Illustrious Thesis

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:58 am

Illustrious Thesis wrote:When Yui Ikari is swallowed up by Unit-01, Shinji is sent off by his father- but not to his teacher, or his aunt and uncle. No, Shinji is taken in by his godmother; Mari Makinami, one of his mother's old colleagues who lives in England. With a brand new family, things turn out... different. But how far gone is the Scenario, and what will happen when the mysterious Angels appear?

Link to the story on Fanfiction.Net: Evangelion: Illustrious Thesis

Hello there, everyone! Fyrstorm here again, with another story I've been working on! This one takes place in an alternative version of the NGE Manga timeline-- one in which Mari doesn't end up cutting ties with Yui, earning her a godson.

That's right; Mari gets to be Shinji's godmother here. And that means snarky British Shinji fun times.

To sum up my initial thoughts behind this:
In which Mari attempts to be a functional godparent  SPOILER: Show
- After Shinji is born, Yui decides that he needs a godparent, just in case something happens to her or Gendo. Fortunately, there’s an old colleague from her college days to be there.

- Mari’s been busy at Saintford University, struggling with the aftermath of Second Impact. England wasn’t hit as hard as the lower hemisphere was, but it’s still in a bit of chaos. The young lady gets a phone call from Yui, much to her surprise. She’s even more surprised when Yui reveals that she has a son-- and that she wants Mari to be his godmother. Caught by wildly conflicting emotions, Mari decides to accept-- after all, it’s not like Yui’s going anywhere, is she?

- Predictably, Yui is absorbed in the Contact Experiment with Unit-01, and Gendo abandons Shinji a few days later. Thus, Mari, instead of Shinji’s teacher/ aunt and uncle picking him up, it’s Mari.

- Things go… different from there.

- There’s tension and trouble on both sides; Shinji has to grow up with a woman who isn’t his mother and isn’t even related to him; Mari has to deal with figuring out how to be a functional adult who can raise a child properly.

- By the time Gendo sends for Shinji, the boy’s a little less withdrawn, a little more inquisitive and sassy, and can actually speak (proper) English with a good deal of fluency.

- Mari accompanies Shinji to Tokyo-3 because he’s been called there by Gendo, and Gendo abandoned his own son after Yui died. Mari feels that her trust (and blessing for Yui) has been squandered, and she’s not about to let the man fuck everything up a second time.

- As Mari’s a full-fledged scientist, trained in the fields that are useful for the Evas, she even has a valid reason to stay there.

This is the result.

Please read, enjoy, and review! :asuka_thumbsup:
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Evangelion: Illustrious Thesis

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:44 am

Already left reviews for this on FFN but I'm really enjoying what I've seen of this so far. Really find the relationship so far between Mari and Shinji to be cute, and I like the way you've described her coming to terms with the changes in her life in having to suddenly become a mother to him.

Really looking forward to seeing more.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:33 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Already left reviews for this on FFN but I'm really enjoying what I've seen of this so far. Really find the relationship so far between Mari and Shinji to be cute, and I like the way you've described her coming to terms with the changes in her life in having to suddenly become a mother to him.

Really looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks! It's not exactly something I'm used to, but writing this stuff is pretty fun-- not to mention useful in developing my ability to write normal, familial relationships, and a good opportunity for a different take on some characters.

I did think, overall, that the actual premise of the story would be one of the more realistic ways of getting a Shinji who's in a better mindset, as well as fairly plausible to occur.

We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:23 am

Another thing; with chapter 3 coming up, we're going to get a few more things showing up. Don't worry, the focus is still on the people-- but that doesn't mean that the Angels and Evas won't be giving it their all!

(Also, I've recently seen Shin Godzilla, so that's probably going to influence how I write the JSSDF here. A competent defense force is always better than one firing in an area where there are, you know, civilians running around.)

What? She's 28 now.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Have a preview of the upcoming Chapter 3: Hellfire

In which the Shin Goji influence shows through a little  SPOILER: Show
“There’s what?!” the general demanded into the phone. Beside him, the other two glanced over, looks of concern on their faces.
“Civilians, sir!” reported the pilot on the other end. “Two of them; woman and child, down at the train station.”
The man grimaced.
“What are they doing there? We sounded the alarm; everyone should be in a shelter by now.”
Another one of the three sighed.
“This Angel-thing’s moving faster than we’d expected. Even with our preparations, it’s barely been slowed down,” he grumbled. “Not to mention that nothing’s had any effect on it beyond provoking retaliation so far.”
“Sir, number three’s shrapnel nearly hit them,” the pilot interrupted. “If we keep shooting, there’s a risk of collateral-- be it ricochets or the target taking one of us down again. How do we respond?”
The first general groaned. First the loss of the initial defense line, then the Angel’s near-invulnerability, and now civilians to deal with. This was turning into a disaster.
“General, if I may…” someone spoke up, their voice cold as the Arctic. The man scowled, and turned.
“What is it now, Ikari?”
Elevated behind them, a dark-haired man glared down, his eyes obscured by reflective amber spectacles.
“Bring the pilot’s camera feed up on the main monitor. I need to confirm something,” the man said.
“...fine.”
The massive holographic screen blinked, switching its views to that of the pilot currently calling in. As he’d reported, there were two figures at the train station behind the Angel. Behind his glasses, the man narrowed his eyes, focusing.
The boy… brown hair, a slightly stringy body…
The woman… twin-tailed hairstyle, glasses...
“You will not open fire,” Ikari stated. “To say nothing of how collateral would undoubtedly damage your reputation, generals, those two are extremely important to Nerv. Should they come to harm from the actions of your forces…” The sentence wasn’t finished, but the threat was clear-- not to mention unnecessary, the general thought.
“Stand down,” the man said into the transmitter, glaring at Ikari. “Do not continue the assault until the civilians are no longer within the line of fire.”
His eyes narrowed.
“After that, give it hell!”
“Yes, sir!”

What? She's 28 now.

Strypgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strypgia » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:15 am

Mari, I know you're brave, but why aren't you and Shinji running like Hell for a shelter? You're not bulletproof!
Getting blown up is less fun than it sounds like. So I wrote Evangelion WAFF: Advice and Trust And now more: A Crown Of Stars
"Speaking of game material, thanks for indirectly reminding me to check the progress on that moe genderbent Hitler dating sim." --Arkalest
"Dabuhbahgahnehvuh!" --Aleph, 18MAY14 "I am a very charming soup" -- LordSquishy, 23FEB15
"If my grandma is stalking me through a forest I'll stop doing peyote." -- Shinanobi, 31AUG14

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:28 pm

View Original PostStrypgia wrote:Mari, I know you're brave, but why aren't you and Shinji running like Hell for a shelter? You're not bulletproof!

I agree. :D

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:29 am

View Original PostStrypgia wrote:Mari, I know you're brave, but why aren't you and Shinji running like Hell for a shelter? You're not bulletproof!

Maybe I should have added the (fairly important) parts to explain it; namely, that 1) she's never been to this particular city before, 2) trains and phones are out, 3) giant monsters that only seem half alive but spontaneously kebab assault VTOLs are very distracting, and 4) Gendo is an arsehole who never gives proper directions.

Oh, and 5) plot. Not to worry though, Misato's on the case! (somehow, that doesn't make me feel more assured...)

What? She's 28 now.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Erg... alright then, chapter 3's taking a bit longer than expected to get finished. I'll probably chop it in half or something.

What? She's 28 now.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 am

Chapter three is finally done-- and it only took me two months and chopping off the back half of the chapter to do it. Granted, mostly that's because I couldn't stand letting it sit around any longer, but...

What? She's 28 now.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:09 pm

I think I'm just going to give up on this story. I see no reason in continuing it any longer. I'm not happy with it anymore.

Edit: Or... at least, put it on hiatus.

What? She's 28 now.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear you're only putting it on hiatus, at least until you feel like picking up the story again. I'll be ready to read it whenever you decide you can continue it again ^_^
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Fanfiction”