Hidden details in The End of Evangelion.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hidden details in The End of Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:52 am

The Shinjiquarium seems to have been first discovered soon after the forums were launched here, and later independently here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:31 pm

I've had Manga's release for a several years now but I didn't notice Asuka's bleeding until I got the Bluray release. However I would chock that up to how dark the scene is naturally, even with the bluray release it was hard to notice it initially. However the merchandise subliminal messaging is hilarious.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:06 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I didn't notice Asuka's bleeding until I got the Bluray release.

Noticing that only made me remember how brutally sad that scene is.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:17 pm

So, did we find out that the buildings are a special effect and not a real skyline?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, did we find out that the buildings are a special effect and not a real skyline?

Pretty damn sure they're fake. I did a lot of searching through photos in Google. r/Japan was pretty sure they were fake.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:31 pm

That's an absolutely stunning fake, then. That shot needs to be reverse-engineered and studied by low-budget filmmakers for decades to come.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:44 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That's an absolutely stunning fake, then. That shot needs to be reverse-engineered and studied by low-budget filmmakers for decades to come.

Indeed. I always thought they were just the buildings of the Shinjuku ward of Tokyo.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:27 am

Hey, why'd you censor the third eye of Giant Naked ReOH GOODNESS

I should've noticed that earlier. I noticed the ones on her hands, but not her eye.

Great video!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:58 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Hey, why'd you censor the third eye of Giant Naked ReOH GOODNESS

Yeah, I know, it's dumb, almost everyone who watches the video has already seen it, but per YouTube's rules, I thought it better to err on the side of caution. If someone flagged the video, and YouTube removed it, I couldn't just edit the video and reinstate it. I would have to completely replace it as a new video. I also don't want to risk a community strike. Besides, this is probably one of the very few videos I will make where it's even necessary to censor, because I'm talking about very specific details. In the future, if there's a DVD/BD, premium direct download, etc, I will absolutely make uncensored versions of my videos available.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:52 am

I knew about the blood pouring from the eye socket for a long time, but never about tiny blood spurts coming from her arm -- exactly the kind of tiny detail Manga Entertainment's release is of insufficient quality to display, I imagine.

I also had no idea that the (to quote you from the video) "You know" on Shinji's hand was animated. But in my case, I never even knew it was there until it was pointed out to me, possibly by the included commentary, because the quality of my viewing experience was just that bad. I really thought Shinji was simply staring at his hand. :lol:

As for the guy who animated it? I wouldn't be surprised if to him it was just another day on the job, and that's even leaving aside cultural differences.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:19 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I really thought Shinji was simply staring at his hand.
Between the awful washed-out quality of the Manga Ent release, and Shinji's usual habit of staring at his hand, that was a reasonable interpretation to make. My reaction was "Quit starting at your hand again!" and not paying attention.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”