Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Bits in Anime that Made You Go BAAAAWWWWWW

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:53 am

Yep. I'm back which means it's time for another pointless thread that's probably been done before.

Anyway, let's get straight to the point: Bits in anime that made you sob your eyes out. Share them and maybe have a little cry.

I can think of a few:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: A fair few bits, but especially:
-Misato in floods of tears after Kaji's death. Everything from the music to Kaji's last message to her to Kotono Mitsuishi's frighteningly convincing crying just really made me tear up. Seeing Misato break down the way she did was nothing short of heart-wrenching. It really shows Mitsuishi's acting prowess too; in Sailor Moon she did some absolutely hilarious (if grating) childish bawling, so hearing the same voice sounding legitimately distraught was honestly unnerving.
-Rei's death and the aftermath of it all. Seeing Rei realize she had no hope of surviving and choosing to die agonizingly to protect Shinji was both touching and depressing. Seeing her respawned, but with her memories scrambled and barely even able to recognize Shinji, whom she had finally developed feelings for, was bloody heartbreaking.
-The whole of Episode 24. Shinji is more or less broken, having lost his trust for Misato and having had his affection for Rei shattered by the reveal of what she really is. So then for him to have someone show up who he seems to be able to trust, that loves him unconditionally, only to have it all snatched away again, was pretty hard to watch. The end in particular, with that melancholy "You're too cold, Misato..." really rubbed it in.
-Asuka lying almost bled out in an abandoned bathtub. Now I'm no fan of the red menace, but seeing the once proud and arrogant Asuka reduced to a broken shell is pretty tragic.
-The final two episodes, but especially the very end. I could write an essay on how goddamn good the ending sequence was, but I'll save the space and just say that it's actually one of the most moving scenes in any medium, not just anime, I've ever seen. I didn't really appreciate it until my rewatch of Evangelion, but when I did...goddamnit.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica's ending. The whole last episode was beautiful IMO. Sayaka finally being able to move on from her grief and die peacefully, Homura's eternal mission finally coming to an end...I'm inclined to agree with JesuOtaku that PMMM is a superb example of a well-written tragedy, far more than a mere "lol dark edgy megucal gurl show". A shame that Rebellion had to ruin the whole bloody thing.

Gunbuster's ending. Full stop.

>tfw you will never be okaeri'd from orbit

Feels bad, man.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bits in Anime that Made You Go BAAAAWWWWWW

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Since the last thread -- thread/9508/The-Times-Anime-has-made-you-cry/ -- the one that springs obviously to mind is the scene in YuYuYu when the results of Itsuki's audition as a junior idol come through.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I haven't cried at an anime as hard as I have with Eva. But a few did come close:

- Wolfgang Grimmer's death in Monster
- The second-to-last scene in the final episode of Kino's Journey (One word: Volcano).
- The flashbacks to the Ishvallan Civil War (Both series, but Brotherhood especially)
Last edited by Director Black on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Clannad After Story - need you ask why?
Honey & Clover when Yuuta goes to sleep holding Hagu's hand after his bike ride; and the end, of course.
Bokura ga Ita when Yano is leaving (end of the anime, but not of the manga - there are more tears to be found later).
Texhnolyze - is there an ending with less hope?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:44 am

The third time I watched Episode 40 – A Killer Without Mercy of Rurouni Kenshin.

The "genuine" moment in S2 of Oregairu.

That time Heero failed to kill Relena. Again. I just want the teasing to stop, dammit!
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Gunbuster's ending. Full stop.

I rarely cry, but this one gets me every time I watch Gunbuster. Another one that gets to me is Wolfwood's death in the Trigun manga. I can't remember if I cried or not, but Clarice's death in Claymore was really sad, especially for a side character.

And manly tears were shed for Kamina and Musashi Tomoe.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:54 am

^I personally found Jean's death a bit more affecting amongst the casualties of Claymore.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Hohenheims death in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

Return to “Anime and Manga”