Angels Simbology: Introduction (Part 1/?)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tito
Embryo

Angels Simbology: Introduction (Part 1/?)

•      
  •      

Postby Tito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 pm

[I don't care if someone else talked about this previously].

Evangelion's (specially the TV series and/or manga) plot it's more than anything concerning angels. Who are them?, or rather, what are them?

If you watch Eva in the first time, you'll believe it's about giant-mutant-aliens-monsters trying to destroy Earth. We can understand this interpretation as a "linear" or "direct" concept. The seriousness (of the story) could finish there, but there is something "more", such a higher or more hidden symbolism through it, invisble to the naked eye. (We must remember that Anno declared it).

So, which is the more important Eva's symbolism? The psychological one. (Fans and developers recognize it).

You know, NGE looks like a fable, where the signifiers (eva-units, LCL, Seele, Nerv, etc.) are less relevant than its own significance (otherwise, Gundam stuff, for example, should be better than Eva franchise given its esthetic full of guns, mechas, action, violence and son on). What's the point of watching a coward Japanese boy piloting an autobot? If you looked for Eva, it was for its "character-viewer" connection.

Well, I'd better get down to business. In response of the answer located in the top of this text, angels are a kind of "iniquities". An iniquity is the conception of something that keeps over time and makes ill to somebody or a group of entities; therefore, men has the right and task to stop it.

You'll see some Angels "reinterpretations" below:

1.- Adam: First light ("I was chosen to be pure")

According to a PS2 manual-game, an "Ancestral Race" managed the two "Seeds of Life": Adam, the light moon, and Lilith, the dark moon. (I suppose everyone in this forum already know what I'm talking about). Adam was originally put on the Earth surface, but something made that Lilith descend to it. So, the dark moon collapsed and gave rein to the "First Impact". The moon body left Earth and became the one which everybody knows. Then, Lilith started to create the nature and all its elements.

Now, forget everything from the last paragraph (sorry), but remember when it says: "Adam was originally put on the Earth surface". This looks like an analogy where the real destiny of living creatures and the rest of Universe was to be "pure" or "light". It doesn't look as an iniquity, nonetheless, the fact of want obligatorily or extremely to get something, makes a dependency to it (if you don't get that, you're not happy).

2.- Lilith: Wrong source ("I was created from sin")

Adam was purity, Lilith is nastiness. She just verifies the argument that "humanity is the spawn of disaster" (please, don't take it so literal). Adam's sons are resentful with her creation.

Maybe, Lilith makes chaos not just beacuse she has to, but beacuse, she wasn't aimed to be in the place where she actually is.

3.- Sachiel: Early childbirth ("I must be born")

(Here begins our story...). While watching Shinji refusing to pilot the Eva Unit-01, it seems a fetus who doesn't want to get out from the comfort of his mother's belly. He's afraid of life. Next, is forced to be born when he sees someone else suffering (Rei is equal to a woman writhing pain for its baby's birth). He accepts the life test if that means stop the sorrow of his mom (Rei, again).

4.- Shamshel: Rebellion ("I want to be somebody for you" or "Please, hear me!")

(This is better understood in the manga). Shinji disobeys and behaves Misato from a bratty way. He produces hate to be listened while he says: "Hey, you, love me!". Shinji wants to draw attention. It seems like an argument between mother and son. In the end, one learns from the other (specially Misato).
Both wanted to rectify their relationship (and to know if they could share affection, something they really needed).

5.- Ramiel: Protection ("I can count on you")

(This is similar from the previous one). Rei and Shinji believe they're alone, specifically when they are in critical moments. They worked together, they saved together.

[I'll possibly continue this stuff later]. Bye...

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Angels Simbology: Introduction (Part 1/?)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:05 pm

View Original PostTito wrote:[I don't care if someone else talked about this previously].

Given the amount that's been written about it over ten or more years in this forum, perhaps you should!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Given the amount that's been written about it over ten or more years in this forum, perhaps you should!

Sorry, but I don't; I don't have to.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:30 pm

View Original PostTito wrote:So, which is the more important Eva's symbolism? The psychological one. (Fans and developers recognize it).

My +1 on this.

You angel analysis is interesting. The correlation of Eva's existential viewpoint with its aesthetic of the monstrous and unnatural birth.

you know how, when a baby is first born, it just cries at the sheer horror of being alive

Is that really from...Scott Pilgrim? Tell me it's more interesting than that!

Looks promising.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm

View Original PostTito wrote:Sorry, but I don't; I don't have to.

If you can't be bothered to see what the community here has written, why should we be bothered to read YOUR stuff?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If you can't be bothered to see what the community here has written, why should we be bothered to read YOUR stuff?

But I'm sure you did.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”