I've Never Seen A Good Asuka Cosplay

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Charizard
Embryo

Re: I've Never Seen A Good Asuka Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:31 pm

'Sup guys. I'm here to ruin best girl for you.
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/19/Evangelion-Cosplay/880/#p848282

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The big mistake people make when cosplaying Asuka is trying to give her red or orange hair. Forget DC/EoE, and forget the merchandise -- that girl has brown/auburn hair throughout most of the show, and most cosplayers seem to lose sight of that by focusing too much on the odd color shifts seen toward the end of the show. The reason Jersey works is because she used her natural hair with that outfit, and it matches what we see in a good chunk of the show (and particularly the bulk of the scenes we see of Asuka in her school uniform). Her hair also has some red in it, so when you see her in a plugsuit the hair still looks like a good fit.

You don't need hair the color of Asuka's to do a good Asuka cosplay, but you should at least pick a wig that looks natural as opposed to one that's a freakish orange abomination. There are lots and lots of wigs out there using ordinary human hair, so finding one that suits one's complexion and is still a good sell for some iteration of Asuka shouldn't be all that difficult. Combine that with a well-fitting outfit and the rest should fall into place naturally.

Could you explain? For my Asuka cosplay, I definitely wanted to use a red/orange shade, but went for an Arda wig since they had a very specific copper/orange/auburn color that looks vaguely natural (I didn't want to use a shade of pure bright orange).

EDIT: Added link
Last edited by Charizard on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:22 am

Bagheera is currently unable to respond to you. Isn't that explanation sufficient, though? I'm pretty sure he would judge the example in your avatar as being over the line, for instance. I guess some people find that a degree of exaggeration helps to ensure instant recognition when among cosplayers of other characters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:30 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Bagheera is currently unable to respond to you. Isn't that explanation sufficient, though? I'm pretty sure he would judge the example in your avatar as being over the line, for instance.

Is it more of a realism issue? There are a lot of ways to interpret her hair color, but I wouldn't say that Asuka's hair in the series is outright brown, since it always has an auburn hue to it. I actually considered getting a more realistically colored copper red wig, but a friend advised against it and told me that it wasn't orange enough. I think Jersey's Asuka cosplay is great, but the red hair is one of Asuka's defining characteristics (and one reason why I enjoy cosplaying her so much), and she'd look perfect if her hair was straighter and just a bit more reddish. In the end, Asuka's an animated character, and a cosplayer can do a more realistic or cartoonish take on her as she pleases (or he, in my case). I guess I went in a more cartoonish direction with the orange hair and with the more anime-ish makeup.

That said, I actually don't like when cosplayers use neon orange wigs for Asuka; that's too far in the opposite direction, and I was a bit picky about choosing my own wig that way. (The girl I borrowed the outfit from - the same one who advised me on the hair color - used a very bright orange wig.)

I actually think that they sell an official Asuka wig by ACOS (based on Shikinami) that's more of a brownish color.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I guess some people find that a degree of exaggeration helps to ensure instant recognition when among cosplayers of other characters.

Agreed. I guess that goes for merchandise too, my 3.33 Asuka figure has hair the color of pumpkin flesh that verges on blonde.

Hell, I might have even applied that philosophy to my accessories; I made my own nerve clips for emergency/timing reasons and made them "extra-large", and when looking at other people's Asuka cosplays, I'm like "wow their clips are tiny".

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:52 am

View Original PostCharizard wrote:Is it more of a realism issue?

That, but also the fact that it gets taken outside the colour range that actually appears in the show at all. Curiously, even with Rei's blue hair it is possible to perceive some renditions as more or less "natural" - perhaps the level of saturation of the colour is a determining factor.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:58 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:That, but also the fact that it gets taken outside the colour range that actually appears in the show at all. Curiously, even with Rei's blue hair it is possible to perceive some renditions as more or less "natural" - perhaps the level of saturation of the colour is a determining factor.

Sadly enough, the same Asuka-cosplaying friend shot with a Rei whose hair looks lavender in some pictures.

Strypgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strypgia » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Saying some renditions of Asuka's hair are 'too orange' feels a bit off when I know people with hair color like that. My beard used to grow out that bright copper color too, though it's darkened now.

In any case here's my contribution:
SPOILER: Show

And this girl just nails it:
Getting blown up is less fun than it sounds like. So I wrote Evangelion WAFF: Advice and Trust And now more: A Crown Of Stars
"Speaking of game material, thanks for indirectly reminding me to check the progress on that moe genderbent Hitler dating sim." --Arkalest
"Dabuhbahgahnehvuh!" --Aleph, 18MAY14 "I am a very charming soup" -- LordSquishy, 23FEB15
"If my grandma is stalking me through a forest I'll stop doing peyote." -- Shinanobi, 31AUG14

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 pm

View Original PostStrypgia wrote:Saying some renditions of Asuka's hair are 'too orange' feels a bit off when I know people with hair color like that. My beard used to grow out that bright copper color too, though it's darkened now.

In any case here's my contribution:

And this girl just nails it:

Aww! They're all great, but the last one is absolutely adorable. It's also a plus that she seems to be using her real hair but still got it to look accurate, since people (me included) usually need wigs to look like Asuka. It's also fantastic that she actually looks 14.

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:06 am

So I ordered this wig to try a more realistic (or at least subdued) hair color for Asuka. Thoughts?

https://www.epiccosplay.com/26-copper-red-long-cosplay-wig.html

Strypgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strypgia » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 am

View Original PostCharizard wrote:So I ordered this wig to try a more realistic (or at least subdued) hair color for Asuka. Thoughts?

https://www.epiccosplay.com/26-copper-red-long-cosplay-wig.html

Looks about right. Color's not quite 100%, but more than close enough.
Getting blown up is less fun than it sounds like. So I wrote Evangelion WAFF: Advice and Trust And now more: A Crown Of Stars
"Speaking of game material, thanks for indirectly reminding me to check the progress on that moe genderbent Hitler dating sim." --Arkalest
"Dabuhbahgahnehvuh!" --Aleph, 18MAY14 "I am a very charming soup" -- LordSquishy, 23FEB15
"If my grandma is stalking me through a forest I'll stop doing peyote." -- Shinanobi, 31AUG14

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:58 am

View Original PostStrypgia wrote:Looks about right. Color's not quite 100%, but more than close enough.

It actually worked really well ^^

https://vimeo.com/192344586

Return to “Fan Works”