Musical Version Of NGE

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Musical Version Of NGE

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Ok so that title has got your attention now before you all kill me and remove various organs from my body and replace them with every day house hold objects, I don't mean like Shinji and Co all singing songs at each other with dialogue and such.

Actually i'm thinking of this with another Musical Version in mind, namely the War Of The Worlds Musical Version by Jeff Wayne. I'm just watching the Live Version now with the CGI Sequences in the background and the 30 foot fighting machine and wonder just what could be done if someone decided to give NGE this sort of treatment, I think it'd be very hard to get right because Eva is a more complex story then WOTWs but can you imagine the stage show they'd have for it.

So what do we think? Remember I'm thinking more in the style of the WOTWs Musical and not your standard Theater Musical.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:51 pm

i got a better one:

Neon Genesis Evangelion on Ice

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:58 pm

Preemptive:

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 pm

A nice simple "No" would have sufficed, although I have to ask have you actually heard the Musical Version Of War Of The Worlds so that you actually know what I'm talking about?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:09 pm

jcmoorehead wrote:A nice simple "No" would have sufficed, although I have to ask have you actually heard the Musical Version Of War Of The Worlds so that you actually know what I'm talking about?

Yes, but hearing somethign that Jeff Wayne did in the 1970s doesn't sell me to the concept in question.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:39 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:
jcmoorehead wrote:A nice simple "No" would have sufficed, although I have to ask have you actually heard the Musical Version Of War Of The Worlds so that you actually know what I'm talking about?

Yes, but hearing somethign that Jeff Wayne did in the 1970s doesn't sell me to the concept in question.

Ahh well, I don't know maybe I just have strange ideas. I think that something done in that style could work but then again i'm a huge fan of the musical version.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:49 pm

someone beat you to it

http://www.fansview.com/2005/may2005/az28c.html
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:19 pm

jcmoorehead wrote:A nice simple "No" would have sufficed.

Alright then, "No".

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:15 am

Evangelionfreak wrote:someone beat you to it

http://www.fansview.com/2005/may2005/az28c.html

I said something that would not be not the characters singing, If it had the characters singing it'd be an even stupider idea then it already is. Maybe the idea just works better in my head where it should probably stay, but I'm thinking more along the lines of having the orchestra on stage along with a band, a huge screen in the back with animation depicting the story.

Looking at it it probably is a silly idea but it'd probably involve only one characters point of view, with only minimal singing and monologues as opposed to standard dialogue and more music then anything. NGE is probably too long and has too much dialogue to do this but if it focused on a specific section it could work.

I mean at one point there was going to be a Batman musical, is that any worse?

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:34 am

this all cute and stuff...but, of course, no ones giving Eva on Ice any traction...

dont you know how much Disney Profited when they added the Incredibles to Disney on Ice...theres money in this ice stuff

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:54 am

master0rolando wrote:this all cute and stuff...but, of course, no ones giving Eva on Ice any traction...

dont you know how much Disney Profited when they added the Incredibles to Disney on Ice...theres money in this ice stuff

I'd pay for it only if they had an actual Eva on ice, full size.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 am

That would have to be one big ass rink.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

LordBlank
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordBlank » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:59 am

Hunter21 wrote:That would have to be one big ass rink.

Freeze the Arctic Ocean, nobody really needs it anyway.
By the way, it is not already frozen thanks to our buddies at Nevermelt(c) Ice Corporation, Warning:If you ingest Nevermelt(c) ice, take a look at your will. You'll need it.
Hikari Smokes Weed!

Hikari=Hickory
Hickory=Smoke
Smoke=Cigarettes
Cigarettes=WEED!

Charizard
Embryo

Re: Musical Version Of NGE

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Reviving this thread from the dead (Evageeks seems to be a haven for ancient threads)

How about a musical that focuses more on story, character and special effects than musical numbers? Any of the songs would be in the form of internal monologues exploring the characters' struggles and psychological states, thus making the musical of the "All In Their Heads" variety. Hell, maybe they can even be sung by non-actor singers who come on stage while the character actors continue going through the events and action (though having the characters sing could work too).

Something like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j5XWnb8aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I9XkHgveyg

So don't worry, Gendo won't be singing catchy, toe-tapping showtunes about Human Instrumentality :P (A good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view)
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:28 pm

View Original PostCharizard wrote: So don't worry, Gendo won't be singing catchy, toe-tapping showtunes about Human Instrumentality :P (A good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view)

I'm sorry. I don't even remember what Gendo was like before Jamiroquai.

Seriously though I think the Japanese stage does anime adaptations all the time but Eva is very...screeny in what makes it special.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:30 pm

View Original PostCharizard wrote:Reviving this thread from the dead (Evageeks seems to be a haven for ancient threads)

How about a musical that focuses more on story, character and special effects than musical numbers? Any of the songs would be in the form of internal monologues exploring the characters' struggles and psychological states, thus making the musical of the "All In Their Heads" variety. Hell, maybe they can even be sung by non-actor singers who come on stage while the character actors continue going through the events and action (though having the characters sing could work too).

Something like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j5XWnb8aE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I9XkHgveyg

So don't worry, Gendo won't be singing catchy, toe-tapping showtunes about Human Instrumentality :P (A good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view)

Since making this thread I actually ended up getting into a lot more progressive rock/concept albums beyond The Wall and the aforementioned WOTWs here. I personally think someone like Arjen Luccassen would be perfect for writing music that fits Eva. Stuff like his Guilt Machine project would be perfect.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:11 pm

For the longest time I've felt that "I. Shinji" would be hilarious and awesome if done opera-style.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:18 pm

How about Lin Manuel Miranda to tell Eva like it was a history lesson like he did with Hamilton? More Eva raps can be needed (Not just for shitty AMVs).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:01 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:How about Lin Manuel Miranda to tell Eva like it was a history lesson like he did with Hamilton? More Eva raps can be needed (Not just for shitty AMVs).

No joke, I was literally thinking about posting something similar to this.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”