Will Pokémon Ever Plateau?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Will Pokémon Ever Plateau?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Alright, so this may be an interesting or super controversial topic (depending on your view), but does cover the Pokémon franchise as a whole (anime, games, movies, TCG, etc.)

With the release of pokemon Sun and Moon due out November 18th, and the demo already available to players, I had a thought.

The question is simple, do you think Pokémon will ever plateau (go ahead and make Indigo Plateau jokes all you want ^_^), or simply stop making new games, anime, manga or just Pokemon in general?

At over 20 years old with 27 main series games (26 in the US and everywhere else) spread across all of nintendo's portal consoles, Pokemon Go on mobile phones, all the side series games and consol games (too many to count), the trading card game and expansion packs, an anime with 19 movies (as of 2016) 950+ episodes spread across 20 seasons, countless manga adaptations, and at least 774 confirmed Pokémon (includes Gen VII, obtained though game file hacks and other sources, according to bulbapedia), and new Main series games out every 3-4 years (which I assume is normal, I'm no expert, but supplemental games also have to be developed as well, cutting that down to two years or so).

Yes I realize that one part of Nintendo is in charge of everythin gpokemon and that it's spread out, but they do have to work together to encorporate all the changes and additions into all the media. But, how long can they keep up that output across the board? Do you see a point where it becomes difficult for them to continue?

Now I love Pokémon and would be disappointed if that happened, but the question should still be asked if for nothing else then to foster a discussion. To be perfectly honest, they can't keep making up Pokémon forever, as at some point here will simply be too many to see or catch them all.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Will Pokémon Ever Plateau?

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Pokemon did plataeu in the early 2000s with the release of Generation III. The first wave of Pokemania died out and the series' popularity dropped off for a while. It rebounded with Gen IV and beyond and I think the series is as popular now as it's ever been since the first generation.

It's a concept and formula that appeals to kids and adults alike and they refresh it every couple years so there's always something new to discover. They'll probably keep making new games and media as long as people keep buying them. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon is still around in another 20 years.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”