Forum Software Update: 3.1.9 to 3.1.10 [COMPLETE]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Forum Software Update: 3.1.9 to 3.1.10 [COMPLETE]

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:14 am

A day or two ago PHPBB released the next minor update for the software, right after I'd already done a long-pending update, so when site activity seemed to be low during the wee hours I figured, hey, why not.

We get registered users at pretty much all hours so some of you probably noticed. Come to think of it, what do you even see when you try to access the board while it's updating? I saw it once or twice myself back during my practice runs over a year ago, but I forgot the details.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum Software Update: 3.1.9 to 3.1.10 [COMPLETE]

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

I missed today's (probably by being at work already); the other time, the banner showed, but rather than any content, a message saying to delete the install files.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Is there not a setting to disable public forum access during the process? SMF has just such a thing (though for its update procedure it's not really necessary).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:15 pm

Public access is automatically disabled so long as the install directory exists in the file structure. However I think "proper" procedure is that you manually disable the board first (so as to display a custom message) before performing the update.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”