Finally *some* positive confirmation about 3.0+1.0 not being in total limbo

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Chainer3000
Embryo

Finally *some* positive confirmation about 3.0+1.0 not being in total limbo

Postby Chainer3000 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ts/.106523

The bit that matters:
Anno also responded to a remark from an audience member saying that he/she would wait as long as it took for the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film. He first thanked the audience, and then said, "I'll work hard on it. As a matter of fact, I'm already working hard on it."

And he's not looking to do a sequel for Shin Godzilla

It's not much, but it's a lot better than what we've had recently.

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Finally *some* positive confirmation about 3.0+1.0 not being in total limbo

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank god, I've pretended to stop caring for a long time now, but I really can't wait.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:54 pm

So when might we get it? Next year? The year after that?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:56 pm

If they've only just begun production on the animation side of things now. Then probably not for at least three more years.

Hopefully the world doesn't end before then.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:15 pm

I doubt any of the Rebuild films actually take three years to animate. Once everything is in place actual animation for a feature film roughly takes a year. Pixar only spends about 15 months actually animating one of their feature films, the other three to four years of production are spent on prepping everything from story to look to begin animation. Pre-production is the lenghty part of making an animated feature. Hopefully during the downtime a lot of pre-production work - the look of new Evas/character/locations introduced in the film - got finalized.

Either way, the fans are in total limbo until they give us information. So just do your thing until then.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:18 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Hopefully the world doesn't end before then.

If it does, all of our immortal souls will haunt Anno's for eternity.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:If it does, all of our immortal souls will haunt Anno's for eternity.

You bet we'll all haunt him, and then force him to tell us what Final was supposed to be about. I won't let something small like the end of the world stop me from knowing.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Well, consider this. We got the first movie in 2007. The second movie came out in 2009. The third movie didn't come out until 2012. Based on that 3-year gap, a lot of us were expecting the fourth movie to come out in 2015 to coincide with the series's 20th anniversary. But it's 2016 now, and work on the movie either hasn't started or is in a very early state. So given how long the other movies took, I'd expect the fourth one in 2018.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 am

Can anyone confirm if this is legit? If it is it was posted a few days ago.

Megumi Ogata posted a tweet that seems to confirm that they are recording voices.

I can't find the original tweet but someone posted a translation of it on Tumblr.

Basically someone on her Twitter feed asked her a question About Final and this is her response to it.

Megumi Ogata wrote:No, so… I think it’s kind of difficult to ask when it’s so soon…?

In that movie everyone’s been asking about, the engineers have really been squeezing the volume out of me… (^^; < Shinji’s shouting

But even still, discomfort is discomfort. What’s ok is everyone being satisfied with his heart, I think. Thank you for cheering me on. (^-^)

Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:13 am

(What follows assumes I have not misunderstood anything...)

Here is the tweet Ogata-san was replying to:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyo_apli/sta ... 2414824448

Basically it says Ogata's technique is so good, that Shinji's screaming voice never becomes painful or headache inducing, even if you listen to it continually.

Here is the Ogata tweet in question:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Megumi_Ogata ... 8996847616

She says that it would probably be otherwise if you had heard (Shinji's screaming voice) in person (間近で), because the version everyone hears onscreen has had the volume greatly reduced by the engineer! However, even if it was painful, it's okay because the viewers have connected with or understood Shinji, and she thanks them for their support.

Yuko Miyamura's response:

https://mobile.twitter.com/386miyamura/ ... 8326233089

She says even in person it is not painful or anything like that, and Ogata-san should keep screaming as much as she wants in the future!
Last edited by 1731298478 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:24 am

I thought she meant by 'Squeeze the volume out if her' that they were making her scream for more scenes in the final movie.

Still this does seem to confirm they are at least recording voices. . . Anno records voices before animation begins right? Ghibli does it the other way around, they animate the whole movie and then record the voices.

And it looks like poor Suffering Shinji won't be catatonic for the whole movie. If he's going to be screaming it's likely he'll at least have a few lines.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:03 am

I'm not seeing any indication that the tweets have anything to do with the last movie.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:04 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I thought she meant by 'Squeeze the volume out if her' that they were making her scream for more scenes in the final movie.

音量を絞る, if I am not mistaken, means to turn volume down; you can see an example sentence here, if you'd like: http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/音量+絞る. エンジニアに音量が絞られている would mean the volume has been turned down by an engineer.
(For an example in the passive, see http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/音量+絞られ.)

Still this does seem to confirm they are at least recording voices. . . Anno records voices before animation begins right? Ghibli does it the other way around, they animate the whole movie and then record the voices.

Unfortunately I don't see anything in the tweet that indicates they are currently recording. Anime in general records voicework after animation is complete or some part of the animation is complete (hence the term アフレコ, "after-recording"). IIRC Anno experimented with doing voice recording beforehand to some extent with Kare Kano (to allow for greater improvisation by the VAs, who would otherwise be constrained by the preexisting animation). As far as I am aware Eva has all been アフレコ, however, although someone else may have more information on this.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am

Ogata talks about her past voice work all the time on her twitter and she definitely isn't the type to leak things. This is non-news.

Actual news will come through proper channels.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:48 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not seeing any indication that the tweets have anything to do with the last movie.

Precisely. Ogata has been Shinji screaming since 1995. There's no reason to think that this is a reference to any new Shinji screaming in Shin Eva.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lennik » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:24 pm

I hope he does a lot of screaming anyway. Shinji becomes a lot more interesting when he lets it all out.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:There's no reason to think that this is a reference to any new Shinji screaming in Shin Eva.

In that movie everyone’s been asking about

What movie other than Final would they be asking her about?

the engineers have really been squeezing the volume out of me

This could just be a translation error. But if it isn't why would she use this particular tense? If she was talking about a previous film wouldn't she have said something like.

'they really squeezed the volume out of me'

or alternatively

'they really were squeezing the volume out of me'

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Numbers provided a translation that was properly in context. If you'll notice, "In that movie everyone’s been asking about" is actually "that everyone heard onscreen [that is, via film/video]", and this "squeezing the volume out of" flub you're fixated on was corrected, with a citation and everything. You're not going to magically make news manifest by beating an obsolete and out-of-context translation dead.

Regarding this "have been" business, Japanese does not have anything directly equivalent to the English past perfect tense. Such stark divergences in grammar are commonplace and speak to the hazards of overanalyzing a translation choice when one has no ability to consult the thing actually being translated.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby 1731298478 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:25 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:What movie other than Final would they be asking her about?

The phrase here is 皆様が聴かれている映像では ... 映像 has a a very broad sense compared to the English word "film," and is often rendered as "image." The kanji 聴く as opposed to 聞くor 訊く normally indicates a specific reference to listening rather than asking (with a different nuance than 聞く). I would understand this as referring to what the fans hear coming from the screen, as contrasted with what they would hear at the sessions in person (間近で).

Also, I think the point here is valid: if a post had something do to with the next Eva movie, of course it would create a large stir on social media, be picked up by Minna no Eva Fan, etc.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:33 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:What movie other than Final would they be asking her about?

Any of the several other Eva movies?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”