[TV] Your Favorite TV Shows

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: [TV] Your Favorite TV Shows

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:30 am

If, indeed, you are really only 12, this really makes me wonder what programming will be like if I have kids (which I don't plan on having for at least another 10 years).

Like, I remember watching Xena and Hercules with my parents when I was 7 and getting embarrassed if there were any makeout scenes. I cannot even imagine what it would be like watching the modern-day equivalent of a hit fantasy TV show (Game of Thrones, naturally) with them at that age, or even double or triple that age.

I'm not suggesting that shows like GoT should reduce their amount of violence and sex, but commenting on the fact that shows with such content have gone mainstream in a wildly exponential fashion in the past 20 years.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:44 am

I don't watch much TV anymore. But I will say that the new Voltron Netflix series is far better than it has any right to be. It’s a third ATLA series in everything but name. Makes sense since the majority of the writers, and even some of the cast worked on ATLA and LOK.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Outside of Anime:

Twilight Zone
Six Feet Under
Invader ZiM
South Park
and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:47 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I just want to pop into this thread again to express my dismay at how few Evageeks seem to have watched The Sopranos, because it is truly the closest thing to Evangelion that has ever existed on Western TV. David Chase even has an almost identical temperament and outlook to Anno.

I know it's a little silly to respond to a quote from about three years ago, but I was browsing this thread today and found this quote pretty interesting since my father has a love and obsession for the The Sopranos that's very similar to my love and obsession for NGE. Always planned on watching it, now I guess I have more of a reason to.

Anyway, since it's the point of the thread, here's my favvvvoritesss(with favorrite eps. in parenthesis where applicable.)

Seinfeld("The Mom and Pop Store")
The Simpsons("Last Exit to Springfield")
True Detective("The Secret Fate of All Life")
Mad Men("Signal 30")
Home Movies
ESPN's Cheap Seats
Ken Burns' Civil War/Baseball

And Honorable Mention; Are You Afraid of the Dark? since it was my shit when I was a kid.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

NONAME
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NONAME » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:59 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:If, indeed, you are really only 12, this really makes me wonder what programming will be like if I have kids (which I don't plan on having for at least another 10 years).

Well, you can always restrict some channels to the TV of your kids, but you can't control all he/she would see. I started seeing shows like South Park and Family Guy when I was 10 years old and it's not a big deal (of course, my parents didn't know that I saw it). I didn't understand most of the jokes, though. But nothing incredibly bad happened, I just realised earlier some things that most of my generation were aware. And the new generations are even more 'corrupted' and we just have to get over that fact. Besides, kids of a certain age are not that stupid as many people want to believe.

But my point is, you can't expect a kid being 'pure' anymore. Today with the internet era he will get corrupted sooner or later, or simply by his friends (as I did). I think in some way it is better that they start to realise things early, tbh.
Morning... The start of today... The start of an unpleasant day... I don't like it.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:23 am

View Original PostNONAME wrote:But my point is, you can't expect a kid being 'pure' anymore. Today with the internet era he will get corrupted sooner or later, or simply by his friends (as I did). I think in some way it is better that they start to realise things early, tbh.

Well,if you want to your kids to successful in life you should show he/she how it is in later parts of their life.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Last edited by movieartman on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:53 am

Aside from playing sitcoms on Netflix as background noise or the shitstorm that is the 2016 Election, the only TV I commit to watching anymore is Steven Universe & Fargo whenever they have a new season running.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:58 pm

So many to list, I'll do my best

UK Series
Midsomer Murders
Poirot
Doctor Who

US TV Series
Law and Order (original/criminal intent)
MacGyver (original)
Magnum P.I.
Rockford Files
Columbo
Murder, She Wrote
Bones
Battlestar Galactica (original)
Battlestar Galactica (RDM)
Star Trek (all)
NCIS
Sons of Anarchy
Archer
Supernatural
Stargate (all)
X-Files
Mad Men
South Park
Babylon 5
Futurama
The Big Bang Theory
Mom
The Odd Couple (new)
The Sopranos
Oz (HBO series)
And so many more...

Anime
Neon Genesis Evangelion (really obvious, considering where I'm posting)
Gundam Wing
G Gundam
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Panic! (And Fumoffu)
Outlaw Star
Black Lagoon
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Individual seasons...
True Detective - S1
HBO's Chernobyl
Westworld - S1
Daredevil - S1
Daredevil - S2 (Ep1-4 only)
24 - S2(minus the crap with the guy in the bunker)

Some great shows that are really consistently good but don't have a particular season I can point to as exceptionally better or worse then the rest...
Justified
Bosch
Luther
Longmire
The West Wing
Last edited by movieartman on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:32 pm

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Dark, Legion, Serial Experiments Lain, Fargo, The Big O, Kare Kano, Black Mirror S1-4, Chernobyl, True Detective S1 are the pick of the litter definitely.
And Neon Genesis Evangelion, obviously.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:17 am

Aside from whatever Japanese anime I watch, Cheers, Frazier, M*A*S*H*, and The Twilight Zone are my all time favorites. Also, outside of Avatar: the Last Airbender, I'm learning that I'm liking MTV animated shows better than most Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon shows. Daria is pretty chill, and Æon Flux is a real trip sometimes.

I kinda actually miss 4:3 TV on the smaller CRT screens. There's a cozy friendliness to those shows that was lost when everything went widescreen and more cinematic. I'm not saying that newer shows suck, but I really don't know how to visually relate to them anymore. Even newer 16:9 sitcoms like The Office, while extremely good at times, still feels like it would be better if it were shot in 4:3. It's almost like the 16:9 is just there to fill the extra space on modern television, and not there to allow the shows themselves to visually expand their palette. Also, close-ups don't look as intimate in 16:9 as they did in 4:3.

More expensive shows like Breaking Bad (I was never really able to get into that show, so I guess film dude bros can ignore me now) kinda look like low-budget feature films, which is a really cool aesthetic, actually. Game of Thrones (was never able to get into that show either, sorry) was basically shot as though it were an extremely long, quickly produced fantasy film franchise, which is actually a pretty awesome concept when you think about it. But I do believe that the more intimate nature of Television is being replaced by being "c i n e m a t i c," and a lot of genres aren't firing on all cylinders as a result.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Aside from playing sitcoms on Netflix as background noise or the shitstorm that is the 2016 Election, the only TV I commit to watching anymore is Steven Universe & Fargo whenever they have a new season running.

So, uh... what are you watching during the 2020 shit storm?

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:42 am

MD House.
Rick and Morty.
Ban me forever.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm

The Mandolarian is one my favorite shows on Disney+.

Din Djarin is a pretty cool character, and he’s such a dad.

And baby Yoda A.K.A. Grogu is such the cutest thing ever! I remember seeing lots of memes of the little guy.

SPOILER: Show
There was also some controversies about him, like when he ate some of the frog lady’s unfertilized eggs, and a lot of viewers called out genocide on that.

It’s a great series and I highly recommend it.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Film and Video”