What if Mari were in NGE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ZetaSonic
Embryo

What if Mari were in NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby ZetaSonic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 am

How differently would the TV show turn out?

(Kind of a stupid question considering 3.0 + 1.0 hasn't been made yet, but it was something I've wondered about amid dishwashing...)
За звездным небосводом Бог судит , как мы судили

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: What if Mari were in NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:21 am

I can't really imagine Mari on NGE at all. That's probably a testament to how fresh and new she feels in NTE. But if she were in NGE she would probably have a backstory as insane as Haruko Haruhara's in FLCL. I can't imagine a Kazuya Tsurumaki character having more prominence while also being integrated in a sci-fi setting without it getting on several levels of comic crazy.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:23 am

I've sworn up and down for years that what NGE needed was a yandere. Make Mari a yandere.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:27 am

Why exactly would NGE need a Yandere?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 am

Because I love yanderes. Particularly realistic portrayals, which I'm sure NGE would have been able to pull off. Unhealthy co-dependency, separation anxiety, jealousy, obsession, and a desire to bathe in the blood of one's enemies. What's not to love?

Mari's already got a bit of the bloodthirsty crazy. She just needs the soul-crushing backstory and attachment issues. Of course, this would take away from a lot of what makes Mari fresh in NTE, but if you gotta do it, might as well go all out.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:06 am

plus the possibility of a non incestuous threesome.

I'm terrible.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:31 pm

The obvious thing is for her to take on Sarai's role in the original.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Mari would probably work as a comic relief, and a shitty one at that. Not to mention that it would just make things even more convoluted, seeing as how they'll have to add even more background to a series that was losing money with each passing episode.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:59 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:Mari would probably work as a comic relief, and a shitty one at that. Not to mention that it would just make things even more convoluted, seeing as how they'll have to add even more background to a series that was losing money with each passing episode.

Citation needed on that last bit.
- Sachi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:22 pm

If Mari were in NGE, she would be one of the nameless female 2-A students because, really, where else is she going to fit?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZetaSonic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ZetaSonic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 am

I guess the concept came from the one-sided fight between Asuka and the Harpies. What if a second Eva were online?
За звездным небосводом Бог судит , как мы судили

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:44 am

View Original PostZetaSonic wrote:I guess the concept came from the one-sided fight between Asuka and the Harpies. What if a second Eva were online?

I think Asuka would have still taken the spear to the eye because I get the impression she destine to loose her left eye what ever but Mari might have been able to stop them ripping her unit apart by distracting them and fighting them until Shinji got there.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:48 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Citation needed on that last bit.

Sorry. I meant for a show whose budget was falling, Mari would just feel crammed in there.

View Original PostReichu wrote:If Mari were in NGE, she would be one of the nameless female 2-A students because, really, where else is she going to fit?

If that were the case, then that would make a pretty cool Easter Egg for the Rebuilds.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:plus the possibility of a non incestuous threesome.

I'm terrible.

Where's the fun in that?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The obvious thing is for her to take on Sarai's role in the original.

Anyone think this sounds like it could be an episode of the New Scooby Doo Movies? Just imagine, Sarai is causing mischief in NERV HQ and scooby and the gang have to track Sarai down and stop her. The episode could end with them unmasking Sarai to reveal it was actually Mari.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

Gargantuar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gargantuar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Meh, Mari's character is overall pretty empty so I don't think we would need it in NGE.
memes

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Because I love yanderes. Particularly realistic portrayals, which I'm sure NGE would have been able to pull off. Unhealthy co-dependency, separation anxiety, jealousy, obsession, and a desire to bathe in the blood of one's enemies. What's not to love?

Mari's already got a bit of the bloodthirsty crazy. She just needs the soul-crushing backstory and attachment issues. Of course, this would take away from a lot of what makes Mari fresh in NTE, but if you gotta do it, might as well go all out.

I have to disagree with you, in two ways. Number one, I wholly disagree with the idea of adding a yandere to anything Evangelion as a matter of opinion, because it's one of the least realistic of the personality type tropes I've seen in anime. Secondly, I don't think yandere's would suffer dependency or attachment issues. What you see with yanderes, at least in anime, is that they are generally psychopaths or sociopaths. It's not that they need somebody to be with, it's that they don't respect the rights of others and are interested in owning their senpai like they're property or a possession--not unlike an abusive boyfriend/husband or in some cases, girlfriend/wife. They don't care about them as a person at all, they just want to own them; they need their senpai to be their's, and nobody else's. Not only that, but they're willing to do anything, like manipulate others and become violent if necessary, which only further proves my point about psychopathy or sociopathy. The difference between the two is that psychopaths are born with it and exhibit slight differences in their behavior, whereas sociopaths are "made" for a lack of better word. With a sociopath you might be able to give them some kind of backstory, but they'd be so repulsive of a person if they were shone in a realistic, deconstructed light that you would no longer find the yandere type of character somebody you could relate with or feel sorry for in any kind of way. If you were to know someone like this in real life, you would only feel disgust, disdain, or possibly fear towards them.

Really, you could argue that Ritsuko in NGETV is a bit of a yandere, she does plenty for Gendo's affection, all the way up to killing all the Rei clones. She's not "craaaaaaaaaazzzyyy", but there's what I feel makes them so unrealistic. I know it's not a close match, but really since yandere's are so unrealistic, there isn't much of a better match you could make there. She certainly doesn't treat Gendo like an object to be owned. Either way, the NGETV Ritsuko is almost just about as awful of a person as you'd expect one to be to boot (luckily for her, she's significantly more like-able and less cuntish and evil in Rebuild, I actually like her as a person in it, whereas I hate her in NGETV).

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:44 am

Asuka isn't a tsundere, but she's the closest NGE incarnation. A NGE yandere wouldn't have to fit the term 100%.

Not to plug my own characters, but I used to have an RP character that was intended to be an NGE!yandere, with a natural, realistic descent into madness, based somewhat on one of my past relationships (toxic parts about both of us in one person). Unfortunately, the character arc was never finished.

I wouldn't apply the same arc to Mari, but I feel something to the effect of what I said could be done. Even if you disagree with whether it's actually yandere.
- Sachi

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:15 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Asuka isn't a tsundere, but she's the closest NGE incarnation. A NGE yandere wouldn't have to fit the term 100%.

Not to plug my own characters, but I used to have an RP character that was intended to be an NGE!yandere, with a natural, realistic descent into madness, based somewhat on one of my past relationships (toxic parts about both of us in one person). Unfortunately, the character arc was never finished.

I wouldn't apply the same arc to Mari, but I feel something to the effect of what I said could be done. Even if you disagree with whether it's actually yandere.

Well, by the nature of the deconstruction of these tropes Anno was famous for doing, he broke the mold of those archetypes with his characters. In a sense, you could describe Asuka as a tsundere and in a very shallow, surface level, oversimplistic way, she is. However, if you actually examine her traits as an individual, she's really just a normal person sharing a few traits that otherwise encompass the entire personality of the trope.

I suppose with enough creativity, you could make a worthy yandere addition to NGE, I'm just a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the series. I like mah NGEs mane, lol. So naturally, I'm opposed to whimsical changes that appeal to someone's specific trope-liking sensibilities. My opposition isn't quite justified, especially considering this thread and these ideas have no bearing on any actual changes to NGE. I may have been a bit negative with my original post, so sorry if it irked you any, I didn't really have any malintent.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:00 pm

So, I saw this forum as I wa going through areas of the site I've never really perused before.

Well, if you'd like to see how Mari would look inside the series itself, look no further than my fanfic, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Legacy. The fic goes through the origins of the adult characters, in the first arc (including Mari), the second arc retells the show with the apporiate changes for the story, and if this sounds interesting to you, may I direct you my thread here on evageeks, or my Fanfiction.net Profile.

Either way, there's a lot that goes on with Mari in the mix and how she breaks up the Asuka/Shinji/Rei trio and her lasting effects on their interpersonal relationships.

Now I know my take won't be everyone's take on how Mari would be if she had been in the original series, but it's my best guess, and will it be entertaining to write and hopefully for ya'll to read.

In short it would be very different.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”