Are notifications working correctly now?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Are notifications working correctly now?

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:59 pm

At the end of my coding spree last night, I wasn't sure if I'd fixed the long-standing notification bug, but all tiday on my phone I haven't encountered it.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it's that bug where clicking a notification brings you to the right page and all but every link on that page cause the page to apparently refresh (but only once).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Are notifications working correctly now?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:31 pm

It's gone as far as I can tell. Thanks for all your hard work!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:29 pm

:headbang:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:38 am

The only bug in this domain that remains, at least for me, is that on my laptop when I try to click a notification to go to the 2016 Election General topic (and so far, ONLY that topic), it takes me to the index page with the same query string as in the URL it was supposed to take me to. The fuck?

Is this happening for anyone else? It didn't even happen to me on my phone, so it might even be unique to the combination of my machine and that topic.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:54 am

It may be necessary to specify what browser - I find it worthwhile keeping at least IE, FireFox, Chrome and Opera (and Safari on a Mac) to hand for checking out problems of this sort.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:57 am

I'm a Firefox man.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:43 am

I don't use notifications, but I just had an OK-looking link (to the SJW thread) in the "unread posts" page take me to the index consistently, when other links worked correctly. It does the same in this post at the time of writing.

But the true link for the post concerned is quite different. Which reminds me that the two self-links at the top of a post (title and little icon next to poster name) are quite different, not only in one having a "p" in, but some cases (not this one) having a different number after /post/ than the one at the end.

(PS, a bit later - maybe it's an issue with the SJW thread specifically, as the same thing has happened again with another new post to it, but again not to other threads)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:48 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I don't use notifications, but I just had an OK-looking link (to the SJW thread) in the "unread posts" page take me to the index consistently, when other links worked correctly. It does the same in this post at the time of writing.

Clicking on it just now, the link worked fine for me, taking me to this post. Because it's a view-unread link, where you end up depends on what you've seen. Even clicking on it again, the behavior is as it should be, taking me to the last page of the thread. So now I have to puzzle through why view-unread is causing this problem uniquely only for certain combinations of user and topic...

But the true link for the post concerned is quite different. Which reminds me that the two self-links at the top of a post (title and little icon next to poster name) are quite different, not only in one having a "p" in, but some cases (not this one) having a different number after /post/ than the one at the end.

Different number too?! This bears further investigation.
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 am

Mystery solved: It was a 301 redirect mishap. During a brief period when I was working on the site one recent night, trying to fix the notification bug, the site code was put into a very specific and temporary state (I'm talking seconds-long because I undid it as soon as I tested it out) where I was giving us all faulty redirects that accidentally stripped out everything between the domain name and the query string. Our browsers then cached the redirect of whatever we clicked on at the time, causing the problem to persist. Clear your 301 redirect cache for the site and the problem goes away.

Also, in the process of solving this mystery, I was instantly converted to a Chrome man (until Firefox steps up its game), because browsing with Chrome is so fucking ridiculously faster.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks! (And I use Opera - which is Chrome-based; it's now especially handy 'cos it has build-in VPN facilities, which I can use at a click to get round Tumblr's year-long failure to fix their seriously broken IPv6 implementation, because the Opera VPN is IPv4 only.)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:37 am

Lemme take another crack at responding to this other thing while I'm at it:

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But the true link for the post concerned is quite different.

Background: On this site, we chose ("we" -- I had nothing to do with it; this was WAY before my time) to rewrite post and thread links along a certain style that differs significantly from PHPBB's default.

In vanilla PHPBB, all links to a thread or post look like this: /viewtopic.php?f=39&p=32&t=43 (all numbers completely made up). As you might guess, the f, t, and p parameters refer to the forum, topic, and post numbers respectively.

In our URL rewrite scheme, we do the same kinds of links this way:
  • /post/32/fake-topic-title-here/ for a link to a post, and
  • /thread/43/fake-topic-title-here/ for a link to a thread.
Internally, the site code understands the above two the same way as if they had been "viewtopic.php?p=32" and "viewtopic.php?t=43" respectively. It can make do with fewer parameters because if you know the post, by definition you know the topic (because every post is in only one topic) and if you know the topic you know the forum.

When you click to view unread posts for a topic, the URL for that is of the form
  • /thread/43/fake-topic-title-here/?view=unread#unread
and the system figures out where it should go from there by checking a certain table in the database that keeps track of when you last viewed that topic. Whatever post is the first one since the last time you were recorded as viewing that topic, it zooms you to it. That's why the true link for the post concerned was so different: One was a "show me the first post in topic 18527 that I haven't seen yet" command and the other was a "show me post #847496" command.

Which reminds me that the two self-links at the top of a post (title and little icon next to poster name) are quite different, not only in one having a "p" in, but some cases (not this one) having a different number after /post/ than the one at the end.

The #p vs # thing is a simple fix I just have to get around to, but I'd like you to show me the next case you find of the two links having different numbers.
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”