DOOM

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

DOOM

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am

So who here likes DOOM? I've been playing a bit of the original via the BFG Edition and aside from the fact I'm stuck on the boss fight with the Barons of Hell (no matter how much I strafe the bastards always kill me) I'm loving it.

I do have the Brutal Doom mod but I wanted to do a "clean" playthrough first. Are there any other mods anyone would recommend?

And finally...Who's hyped for Doom 4? Because I am, and I haven't even seen the trailer yet.

DOOOOOOOOM
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:01 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:For your viewing pleasure

Aww hell yeah.

In other news, I finally beat the Hell Barons. Turns out that what I thought was lava was actually just red floor. So I'd been restricting myself to just the little podium trying to dodge all that green hellfire. :hahaha:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I have a CD-ROM somewhere with the original DOS demo version on it. It was the game that made me decide I didn't like FPS... :lol:

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm

The first DOOM was the first game i played at around 6 years old (occasionally) with my dad. Good times and one of my fondest gaming memories.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Back in the mid-90s, a friend in another state sent me the Doom 2 install files on floppy disk via snail mail. (He also shared a modded version of Wolfenstein 3D, that had the normal solders replaced with Beavis and Butt-Head and the last boss replaced with Barney the Dinosaur.) I was incredibly bad at the game, though I had a fair amount of fun entering God Mode and blowing demons into bloody chunks at point-blank with missile launchers and the BFG. Oh, and that chainsaw, lol. (Cheating was the only way to see the developer's severed head in the last stage, besides!)

My dad got addicted to FPSes through Doom 2, and before bigger and badder things came along he'd play it over and over again. Not sure if he ever mastered Nightmare difficulty or not, but he sure as hell tried!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: DOOM

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue May 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Has anyone else tried out Doom 4's singleplayer, because I thought it was one of the most refreshing experiences for me in regards to first person shooters in a good while, played through it first time on Ultra-violence, I'm pumped to play through it again on Nightmare and 100% complete it.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed May 18, 2016 2:25 am

I'm playing through it at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. It is as you say quite a refreshing experience, especially for me having played/completed Dark Souls 3 before it. They've managed to really capture that old school mentality of Doom but also the modern elements they've brought in blend quite seamlessly. Really fun game :)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 18, 2016 1:35 pm

I thought this was going to suck but I think I have to get it and play it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 19, 2016 2:18 am

I wrote it off completely because Doom 3 was so boring I never finished it, and I'm also not a shooter fan in general, but of the shooters that I enjoy I have most enjoyed the shooters that either mimic the old-school fast-paced vibe (such as Shadow Warrior 2013) or set the standard in the first place (the original Shadow Warrior). A Doom that is described as capturing the old-school mentality piques my interest.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I wrote it off completely because Doom 3 was so boring I never finished it, and I'm also not a shooter fan in general, but of the shooters that I enjoy I have most enjoyed the shooters that either mimic the old-school fast-paced vibe (such as Shadow Warrior 2013) or set the standard in the first place (the original Shadow Warrior). A Doom that is described as capturing the old-school mentality piques my interest.

You'll definitely enjoy it then if you enjoy the fast-paced vibe, Doom is all about that.

I had a play around with the snapmap last night, looks like fun. For you guys playing what are you playing it on? Would be cool to trade maps or something if you're doing that?

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:28 am

So does anyone else know how to get Vulkan working properly? I installed the drivers for it and whilst it seemed to work initially, on further attempts, trying to run DOOM with Vulkan stops the game from starting (resulting in having to tinker with a config file to start the game again). For the record, my graphics card is an HD 7970.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”