English Eva manga Vol. 9 out in October

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

English Eva manga Vol. 9 out in October

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:12 pm

This is a little sudden, perhaps, but it was announced at the Evangelion panel at last weekend's Anime Weekend Atlanta that Vol. 9 of the Evangelion manga by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will be released in English by Viz in October.

Eva Vol. 9 will be released in the same size and design format as the recent Vols. 1-8, unflopped with the original Japanese sound FX, and will include commentary by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto as well as an original essay on Kaworu Nagisa and the controversial differences between the character as written for the anime and as written for the manga.

--C.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:36 pm

That's cool,will it be online available the same time?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:42 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:That's cool,will it be online available the same time?

Not officially. ;-). The EVA manga are print editions only.

Now that you mention it, sometimes in Japan they do CD-ROM versions of manga adding voices, sound FX, etc. Considering that there is a lot of original story content in the manga that differs from the anime, I wonder if Gainax has ever considered getting the original anime voice actors together to do some kind of adaptation of the manga on disc.

--C.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:21 pm

Wow. That's awesome news. Its good to hear I won't have to wait till next summer to read it in English, as has been the case the last couple years.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/NKlCZD8DmDYRPkRr63/browse/item/64158/4/0/0

RighStuf lists the release as being in November. Is their release date accurate?

Hey Carl, what are the chances of getting a review copy? :wink:

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:42 pm

Oh, happy day!
I can only take so much retarded.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:09 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Wow. That's awesome news. Its good to hear I won't have to wait till next summer to read it in English, as has been the case the last couple years.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/NKlCZD8DmDYRPkRr63/browse/item/64158/4/0/0

RighStuf lists the release as being in November. Is their release date accurate?

Hey Carl, what are the chances of getting a review copy? :wink:

I'm sorry I didn't get back earlier to your question. The November date may reflect that Vol. 9 will be available some places a week or two earlier than others (for example, comic book shops--often called "the direct market," ordering through the specialty distributor Diamond--often get Viz manga at least a week before the mainstream bookstores). "October" may mean therefore "the very end of October."

Since the first eight volumes of EVA have all been in release (or re-release) this year, there may have been the idea that there was no sense in waiting on Vol. 9--especially when, as many members of the Forum know, there is no telling when a Vol. 10 will come out in Japan. So after Vol. 9, English-language fans will pretty much be adrift in same lifeboat as the Japanese--a sense of solidarity, if not comfort ;-).

I'll see about a review copy--of course, I'm usually the last to get them myself (even at the publisher, advance copies are hard to come by early--almost everything is going to the stores and the warehouses...which is where, of course, you mainly want it).

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:50 pm

Carl Horn wrote:I'll see about a review copy--of course, I'm usually the last to get them myself (even at the publisher, advance copies are hard to come by early--almost everything is going to the stores and the warehouses...which is where, of course, you mainly want it).

No rush or anything. I like to try and get things prior to their release. I really enjoyed being able to review Love & Pop and The Unofficial Guide to Eva prior to their releases. My main concern is to further avoid burning a hole into my wallet. I've already done it enough with the manga re-editions thus far, and now I'm collecting Platinum.

I've noticed that people will listen better to what you have to say about a product if a company takes the time to acknowledge your importance and send you a copy.

I'm important.... right? :?

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:10 pm

Of course you are, Aaron <3
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:55 pm

God I love flunkies. 8)

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:57 am

Well this news is quite relieving.

I, too, was afraid I'd have to wait another 3 years to get a translation.
(It happened to me with vol. 8, before. A friend had it for a whole year and a half before it was brought here. T_T )
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:38 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:I'll see about a review copy--of course, I'm usually the last to get them myself (even at the publisher, advance copies are hard to come by early--almost everything is going to the stores and the warehouses...which is where, of course, you mainly want it).

No rush or anything. I like to try and get things prior to their release. I really enjoyed being able to review Love & Pop and The Unofficial Guide to Eva prior to their releases. My main concern is to further avoid burning a hole into my wallet. I've already done it enough with the manga re-editions thus far, and now I'm collecting Platinum.

I've noticed that people will listen better to what you have to say about a product if a company takes the time to acknowledge your importance and send you a copy.

I'm important.... right? :?

I keep trying to make this exact same argument to my local Mercedes-Benz dealership.

Don't worry; as soon as I get a copy (which may be no sooner than it comes into my local shop), I'll send it to you. You and Matt Greenfield. How's that?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:02 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Don't worry; as soon as I get a copy (which may be no sooner than it comes into my local shop), I'll send it to you. You and Matt Greenfield. How's that?

Don't forget Jesus and the President.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:58 pm

So does this mean us non-Japanese-reading, non-scanlation-downloading people can finally see Kaworu eat a kitten (or whatever made you Kaworu fangirls go crazy over)?
Close your eyes and listen hard

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:31 pm

Don't forget the Kaworu fanboys! SADAMOTO IS A KITTEN KILLER! Heh... I actually have the 9th volume already, but I can't read it a darn word of it. :(
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:07 pm

I don't know why the Kaoru fangirls are so upset. Killing small furry things is sexy. 8) Isn't it? :shock: Isn't it? :oops:

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Tailgunner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tailgunner » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:11 pm

CD-ROM versions of manga adding voices, sound FX, etc

I like that simple and easy

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:43 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:I don't know why the Kaoru fangirls are so upset. Killing small furry things is sexy. 8) Isn't it? :shock: Isn't it? :oops:

Agreed. ;)

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to see how that scene is handled when they finally release it over here.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:24 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I don't know why the Kaoru fangirls are so upset. Killing small furry things is sexy. 8) Isn't it? :shock: Isn't it? :oops:

No! No it's not! Leave the poor neko alone! Mew?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:47 pm

Has the english version been released yet or not? I have been to a couple stores (Borders, Barnes & Nobles) and both of them told me they only have up to 8. Just need to know before I decide to trek to a real anime and manga store. Thanks.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Senpuken
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Senpuken » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:43 pm

So November is nearing its end, and Volume 9 hasn't been released in English anywhere around here. Has it been elsewhere?

Also, has there been a release date for a new version of Volume 8? I'd rather all my books look appropriate together and not have that one stand out with it's larger size.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”