[Game] Evangelion Video Game Translations

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

[Game] Evangelion Video Game Translations

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi there, I'll be finishing up my current translation project in about a month, so I might stray back into Evangelion territory. That said, I just want to gather some information/thoughts on which Eva game people would prefer a translation for. I wouldn't mention console games just yet as they usually require custom written programs to translate, and 99% of people I've contacted have ignored my messages... so, yeah. Anyhow, I've got a few in mind.

1. Girlfriend of Steel 2 (Looks funny, could be worth a good laugh)
2. Shinji Ikari Raising Project (Very unsure, ugly art)
3. Ayanami Raising Project? (PC)

I know, a short list, but you might be wondering why I put Ayanami Raising Project on there. For one, my translation of the NDS version was very lousy, but I have improved greatly since then so I have been wondering about doing the PC version for a refined experience (with honorifics) of its original release. Two, there are a few things different between both versions, a few side events are missing since they were added in its ports and the fact that the PC version has a few exclusive endings. If you're familiar with ARP, you're probably aware of the ganguro and dominatrix endings that are exclusive to the PC and presumably the Dreamcast version as well, which were removed in the later PS2 and NDS ports. I'm very interested in what they detail, and they are also a few other exclusive endings (horseback riding for one) and even some with different artwork. Thirdly, not all the dialogue (less of it, especially in Angel encounter missions) in the game is the same and neither are the training options, as the original release was somewhat lacking in the much needed depth that the ports added. Heck, the Russians even made a mod for the game so there's also the possibility of translating that, too. That said, I know translating the same game twice may not be a good idea but I think it would be worth it. Anyhow, just gives your thoughts or suggestions on which game you'd prefer to have a translation for. I'm thinking GOFS2 but I'm very unsure, what about everyone else?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:13 am

As far as I'm aware, the only game to be fully translated and patched is Girlfriend of Steel. It's a pain in the ass to emulate, though. I literally couldn't uninstall it and had to remove all the files that made up the game manually. There are probably still traces on my computer.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:52 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:As far as I'm aware, the only game to be fully translated and patched is Girlfriend of Steel. It's a pain in the ass to emulate, though. I literally couldn't uninstall it and had to remove all the files that made up the game manually. There are probably still traces on my computer.

Well, I translated Ayanami Raising Project with Asuka for the NDS back last October so there's actually two now. Its also very odd that GOS was translated a decade ago in 2003 (if I remember correctly) and the fact that even though Evangelion has such a large fan base, none of the other games were translated, or at least not into English. I guess maybe people aren't interested in them. Thoughts?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 pm

A series' popularity may not translate over it being worth the cost to localize the games. Out of all the Eva games, which ones besides GoS are well known outside of Japan? And including GoS, which are known for offering a good story, quality gameplay, and any replay value?

Looking into which more popular anime that were likely to have video game releases able to make the jump into NA localization, Dragon Ball and Naruto each have 38, One Piece 10, and Sailor Moon 0.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:A series' popularity may not translate over it being worth the cost to localize the games. Out of all the Eva games, which ones besides GoS are well known outside of Japan? And including GoS, which are known for offering a good story, quality gameplay, and any replay value?

Looking into which more popular anime that were likely to have video game releases able to make the jump into NA localization, Dragon Ball and Naruto each have 38, One Piece 10, and Sailor Moon 0.

Yeah, I know, and also that the chances of any of the games at getting localized in the past and even now is zero. Still, in terms of fandom, you'd think fans or at least someone would have done them by now. Anyhow, does anyone want to give their opinion or choice for the three games?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:12 am

I know the SIRP artwork ain't for everyone. But I'm curious to know what the various jobs that Shinji can end up with are (1 I can read is "rock band"). Based on the Shinji Ikari Raising Project Visual Book he has 15. Not sure how the 8 possible relationship pairings (marriage to 7 of the female characters or ending up with Kaworu) tie into this.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:25 pm

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Still, in terms of fandom, you'd think fans or at least someone would have done them by now.

It does require the necessary translation and programming capabilities to be present in one place at the same time, and stay there long enough for the project to be completed. I'm guessing most people who would be interested cannot do both, as well.

Anyhow, does anyone want to give their opinion or choice for the three games?

I wrote an FAQ for NGE2 way back, without fully understanding what was going on, so that one probably piques my interest the most.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I wrote an FAQ for NGE2 way back, without fully understanding what was going on, so that one probably piques my interest the most.

I wanted to suggest that, but he said no console games. Wait a minute..

checks the wiki

Holy crap, there's a PSP version! :hahaha: Pearse, if you translate this, I can guarantee you that I will play it. This is the one NGE game I'm really interested in.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:I wanted to suggest that, but he said no console games. Wait a minute..

checks the wiki

Holy crap, there's a PSP version! :hahaha: Pearse, if you translate this, I can guarantee you that I will play it. This is the one NGE game I'm really interested in.

And the PSP version has a boatload more content than the original PS2 release, so there's that too. However, it depends if I can get someone to extract and decompress the games files (main problem with console games, but handhelds are quite easy), since most people don't even respond when you send them emails or PM's. I understand why though. But, couldn't hurt to try again, maybe someone will respond this time.

View Original PostReichu wrote:It does require the necessary translation and programming capabilities to be present in one place at the same time, and stay there long enough for the project to be completed. I'm guessing most people who would be interested cannot do both, as well.

Yeah, that too. Although the Russians have tools for the PC games, and they were more than happy to share when I asked for the ARP ones.

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Any chance you can translate the psp version of that figthing game that was a spoof of smash bros? Or at least translate kensuke story mode. I find his story mode to be the most complex and dubious.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Any chance you can translate the psp version of that figthing game that was a spoof of smash bros? Or at least translate kensuke story mode. I find his story mode to be the most complex and dubious.

I'm not very familiar with the handheld Eva games, so which one was that? Anyhow, I'm currently on GOS2, and then I'll do ARP PC, but I'm unsure after that. I may or may not do another Eva game after the latter, so I'll have to wait and see.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:46 am

The game is called battle orchestra. There a PS2 version too.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Murikov
Embryo

Re: [Game] Evangelion Video Game Translations

•      
  •      

Postby Murikov » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Is anyone aware if it's technically possible to translate the PC version of Secret of Evangelion? In general I find very little information on that port.

@Pearse: Thanks a lot for your work on the translations of GOSSE and GOS2. I enjoyed both games thoroughly, especially the first one. It's a shame that both games don't seem to arouse much interest of most western Eva fans though.

Kaworu
Embryo

Re: [Game] Evangelion Video Game Translations

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:51 pm

just letting you guys know that http://blacklabel-translations.com/proj ... -steel-2nd
this is currently being played through, and will be released within a couple weeks at most (depends on how much more i have to patch it lol)
edit: scratch that, it's released now. Enjoy.

im also working on porting the translation over to the ps2 version. (totally not officially having a project out of it so might never actually get done.)

ps: yes i know i used the rebuild of evangelion logotype for this, it's more or less just a matter of preference (and the fact that i was too lazy to redraw a proepr english one.
)
Image Image
so yeah...

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”