Memories Of Shinji: Months Of Good Vs A Decade of Bad

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Memories Of Shinji: Months Of Good Vs A Decade of Bad

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:58 am

View Original PostRay wrote:What's the difference between 'Negative thinking' and accepting reality as it is?

You can choose how to accept reality, to an extent, and if you want you can change your outlook to a more positive one, thus changing your reality into a more positive one . This was the entire point of the original series ending. Life is how you choose to live it, and if you believe you can find happiness, you can. Once you give up searching and believing, then you also give up on your chances at being happy. Even just switching to "glass half-full" type thinking does wonders.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Memories Of Shinji: Months Of Good Vs A Decade of Bad

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:12 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Things aren't always as bad as we make things out to be in our heads, and in Final, I expect even the setting to start looking a little more familiar/human. Blue water is coming.

Emphasis mine because think this is a key point in 3.33. Shinji has a very narrow worldview and is heavily predisposed toward negativity. Even in 1.0 and 2.0 he rejected the world and hid inside his SDAT because he thought the world was a horrible place and he doesn't make an effort to expand his horizons. In 3.33 he's deliberately brought to the worst part of the world and kept in ignorance by people with ulterior motives who want him in a particular mindset for their own ends. He only sees the front lines of the war against Seele and in takes that as representative of the entire world. But this is also a world that creates nice people like Sakura, and civilians like the Wille crew who are not hardened by battle like you'd expect apocalypse survivors to be. What Shinji needs is what he's experiencing right now: to be forcibly pulled out of his shell where he marinates in his own misery and to confront the world as it is, both good and bad.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”