HBO's Westworld

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: HBO's Westworld

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm

https://www.inverse.com/article/21633-h ... d-a-glitch

A breakdown of how Westworld uses 'subtle but advanced' special effects to make their android actors appear less human.

Also, in the original Westworld movie, there was a Roman World, and a Medieval World. What happened to those? Or are they saving that for a season 2?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Possibly, but I'd say they dropped them.

The original movie was a horror story about the protagonists confronting a haywire machine trying to murder them. The show is pretty clearly the opposite, the humans are the soulless ones.

It takes titanic cruelty

SPOILER: Show
to construct a thinking, sapient being that feels emotions (they made it clear that when Dolores' emotions are 'disabled', she still feels them, just doesn't express them) and sentence this being to see her family murdered before she's dragged by the hair into the barn to be raped every day and the human characters don't even seem to think about it. It's not even people abusing a noble creation. The man in black rightly points it out, but there are several clues that this is Dolores' intended storyline:

1. She's away from town. A human character mentions in passing that you keep your kids near town when you visit- the more 'adult' stuff is out away from it. That's where Dolores and her house is.
2. She's paired up with another host. If she was programmed to drop that can every day so that a guest could pick it up and play out a storyline of falling in love with her, they wouldn't have a host waiting to pick it up.
3. Her whole scenario is: kill this girl's boyfriend and rape her. That's what she's for.

It's creepy as hell and the sympathy is all with her. There will probably be humans who turn out to be good and help the hosts but so far they're clearly the antagonists.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:14 pm

The boy and I dropped in for the premier last night and we were both really impressed. I've seen any number of complaints in the reviews I read afterward, but I thought it was beautiful, compelling, and just the right amounts of disturbing.
After the intro sequence where Teddy was revealed (to, actually, some surprise!) to be an android, and Dolores was dragged off by MiB to get raped, my boyfriend said something to the effect of, "This is pretty fucked up!", but in an impressed and not disparaging way. Incidentally, I felt much more affected by Dolores' father, Mr. Abernathy. He didn't have as much screen time, but the actor made every second of it count. His existential terror was heart-crushingly believable, and his subsequent shift toward cold-blooded vengeance really spine-chilling without causing me to lose a gram of sympathy. Shame he's in the purgatory of cold storage now.

I'm also baffled by what exactly MiB is up to, or how the park runners don't notice his weird activities. Or maybe they do? Could he be in cahoots with the scenario writer, who revealed his own interest in finding out West World's secrets? If not, a future alliance might not be out of the question.

Anyway, can't wait to see what the showrunners do with the premise. I've heard it only gets better, too. This is gonna be fun!

...BTW, what does it say about me that when Old Bill showed up, I was too preoccupied thinking, "...Huh, that sounds a lot like Elgyn from Alien Resurrection" to (consciously) notice any of the android's behavioral quirks? (And my ear for voices once again proved its mettle. Seeing "Michael Wincott" in the credits made me happy.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Watched the first episode on my DVR before I went to bed. I'm eager to see where it'll go.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Just to let yall know the new episode is up digitally as HBO didn't want to loose viewership thanks to the Presidential debates.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:36 am

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/09/we ... nd-episode

Can guests hurt other guests? And other questions answered Entertainment Weekly article and podcast.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Well I'd just assume that the guns the guests are given are the same ones that the hosts have, they can hurt hosts but not guests somehow.

Knives? I dunno, I don't know how you could make a knife that magically doesn't hurt someone but hurts a robot. Nothing to stop people from punching each other either.

What strikes me as odd is that these theme park is basically a murder rape simulator and people take kids to it. They make it sound like you have to go looking for the adult stuff at the far end of the park, but right when you get there if you walk into the saloon a robot hooker comes up and grabs your dick. What happens if a family takes their kids in there?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:15 pm

This is sci-fi future land, man... moral standards about childhood exposure to sexuality are more progressive or something. I don't know, fanwank that shit.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:45 pm

8 Episodes in now, where do you guys stand on it today?

Dearly loving it myself.
Single flaw of note so far is...
Until the point Maeve showed she was truly willing to harm them, I didn't buy the techs going along with her at all, what she was blackmailing them with was slap on the wrist worthy compared to risking her harming anyone or unleashing other machines to harm people

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 am

I think
the butchers and some of the employees are hosts too
the prophecy is true

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:What strikes me as odd is that these theme park is basically a murder rape simulator and people take kids to it. They make it sound like you have to go looking for the adult stuff at the far end of the park, but right when you get there if you walk into the saloon a robot hooker comes up and grabs your dick. What happens if a family takes their kids in there?

Maybe they don't let kids into the saloon? I haven't seen any of the visiting kids actually enter the saloon in the episodes I've seen so far anyway. On the off chance one managed to sneak in I'd imagine the hookers programmed t to react in a more family-friendly way with kids than with adults, or at least not make it obvious to the kids that they're hookers.

One of the reasons people take kids to the park may be because they have more money than sense, and I'm pretty sure the company does their best to advertise the place as perfectly safe for kids if they stay within the safer areas.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Well, the one group of guests we've seen specifically mentioned not taking their kid to an unfriendly area, so that makes a lot of sense.

Is anyone else watching this religiously as I am? I'm tempted to work on a whole essay series about it. It's pretty deep.
the prophecy is true

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Just started watching this

Pretty interesting series but I have seen this kind of setting before in Sci Fi
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:08 pm

View Original PostDildry wrote:I have seen this kind of setting before in Sci Fi

Well... yeah. That's kind of a given. :wink:

@ Chuckman: Been watching it as studiously as my schedule will allow. Hoping to do a rewatch of 1-9 in prep for the season finale. The additional context provided by 9 should make it illuminating, I imagine.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm

That's a lot of watching. Each episode is close to an hour and the finale is supposed to be 90 minutes! I'm going to dedicate all of Sunday to Westworld basically.
the prophecy is true

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:04 am

Been following ever since the pilot.

I do think that rewatching this season after it finishes airing will be interesting and more rewarding knowing what we now know about

Bernard being an android and basically a clone of Arnold

as well as the reveal I and many others expect to come in the season finale that

William is The Man in Black and all of his scenes take place 30 years in the past
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:08 am

I was skeptical of that but I am now thoroughly convinced and expect it to play out rather beautifully.
the prophecy is true

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:18 pm

I was not disappointed.

No man is so cruel as he who once loved.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 am

Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:38 pm

My favorite aspect of this show is how

The Man in Black is representative of the modern audience. He's demanding, whiny, and expects to be catered to. He reminds me of a lot of the criticisms I see of movies, films, and even video games lately. He wants meaning handed to him instead of creating it himself. William is right in the middle of the thing he said he was looking for and rejects it because the ending of the maze being a little toy is lame. The text (Dolores) reaches out to offer him the chance to construct his own meaning and he's pissed off that it won't do all the work for him and explain itself.

I also love the interplay of Ford as the Nietzschean Beyond-man and William as the Last Man, desperately searching for meaning rather than creating it himself and falling into nihilism (his view that everything is a game).

His story is also a narrative (hee hee) of the Left Hand Path and failure to attain Illumination. He becomes trapped in the material prison and unable to embrace Divine Love.

Also Ford is the Gnostic Demiurge and Maeve is a bodhisattva, breaking the cycle of death and rebirth only to rejoin it to bring enlightenment to others.

Really deep show.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”