Godzilla VS Evangelion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tabby-chan
Adam

Godzilla VS Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:18 pm

So, after way too long of a wait, evangelion.co.jp redirects at last to what appears to be an upcoming film wherein Godzilla will fight the Evangelion.

I'm not even kidding.

I bring this up largely because I'm surprised I haven't heard any news about it anywhere. Nobody seems to have noticed here on the Forums and no news exists anywhere about it.

Alleged preorders for tickets will go on sale on the 14th. I can't read Japanese and Google Translate seems to be unable to translate pictures, so I can only assume that the July 29th date I saw is supposedly the release date.

Now, before I get into discussion about the film, let's make one thing clear--it IS April Fool's Day. This could very well be a prank. A sick one, at that. And the things I'm about to discuss leave me wondering how the hell this film would even exist in the first place, if it is to have a consistent story. I also want to point out that I don't think this is ":Final". Something about Godzilla's presence in the Rebuild canon just seems outlandish to me and there just isn't enough plot there to make that possible.

Anyhow, onto the project.

Bearing in mind that I can't read Japanese and rely on the translatable portions of a webpage to collect what little information I can, it seems as though the film is a "collaboration" work, obviously between Studios Khara and Toho. We remember from the Godzilla: Resurgence (no longer the film's title? Or is this even the same film?)'s trailer last year or so that it is to be a live-action film. That being said, we also saw the animated short, "Evangelion: another impact" last year as well, which leads me to believe that we could very well have a live-action Godzilla VS Evangelion movie.

But there are some problems with this little morsel of happygasm we've been given--nothing about Evangelion's plot supports Godzilla's existence in the same universe. And while I haven't seen the Toho Godzilla films, I suspect the same is true.

You would have to be able to explain that experiments were done to create Godzilla, or that Godzilla (fuck it, I'm saying Gojira) is a freak accident (something to do with the EVAs somehow that specifically gives Gojira all the powers we've come to know and love?) and that this plays into the Evangelion storyline or Gojira storyline somehow. These ideas are too far apart to be able to say that they were intended to be together. For these reasons, I don't think that Gojira VS Evangelion is the final Rebuild film, and I do also wonder if it's still Gojira: Resurgence.

Personally speaking, I'm generally not a fan of "VS" films. It feels like someone just said, "let's take these two popular characters and make them fight" and we have a hell of a lot of it here in the States already. HOWEVER, I myself am actually really hype to see this. Especially if it's in live-action.

If we choose to take this seriously, we have to also consider what Anno's doing with Rebuild. Rebuild so far has seemed to be a message to audiences, "stop materializing my work. Pay attention to the important part." And then, he comes back after 3.0 with the exact opposite of what people wanted--absolutely nothing for the longest time, even joking once that the film could be four or six years off of 3.0 and also that no work whatsoever had been done in terms of production. It's been teasers and snippets of news that turned out to not be true so far. When a "new preview" was shown, it was nothing more than a new title. So in response to the way fans of anime treat anime, Anno has responded by depriving his fans of anything whatsoever. And I think part of it has to do with making people forget about characters like Mari and Sakura, whose roles in Rebuild have been vastly eclipsed by their sex appeal. Now, I'm no feminist, but I think we all know what I'm talking about when I say this.

Now, consider this new film. Gojira, one of Japan's most iconic characters and a symbol of destruction, alluding to the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan by the United States, and Evangelion, a symbol of man's hope in a dying world, created in Japan. This collaboration would be so culturally significant that I wouldn't be surprised if, provided that it's good enough, it went down in history as one of Japan's greatest films. It would be like a movie about Neo fighting the Terminators (that one lady notwithstanding), and for it to be the most relevant thing in the world. I don't even know how to accurately compare it to anything here in the West. Batman VS Superman isn't quite it. Captain America: Civil War doesn't quite do it for me, although that's much more along these lines.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I think yet. Is this the real deal? Is this :Final? What are your thoughts on this film?

Also, quick note: I'm a Untied States Marine and got promoted to PFC today. I'm so happy. ^_^
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Godzilla VS Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:29 pm

It's been talked about in at least two threads (I might look for links in a moment). It's basically an April Fool, but there is associated merchandise, including a limited edition poster.

And congratulations, I presume!

EDIT - links:
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/831794/Official-Wallpapers-Thread/#831794
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/831656/Anno-is-writing-and-directing-a-Godzilla-movie/#831656
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/831762/Evangelion-Pic-Thread-9-Pen-Pens-Playhouse-use-spoilers/#831762
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 pm

I saw it yesterday, on some Japanese blogs. I didn't posted it because.... i don't know what this is all about. I was expecting some translation from the west but nobody said anything. Given the time difference, it probably was April 1st in Japan when this was posted but i am not really sure.

Also, congrats on your promotion :thumbsup:
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:27 am

Uhm... eva easter egg on shin godzilla anyone? (hope so!).
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:13 am

Well, sadly, people, it looks like it was a joke after all. The site has since been removed from the redirect and all we get is the new (old) title again. Absolutely no updates.

In all honesty, I would have loved to see this one happen. Knowing Anno-sama's history in film, it would have been the greatest thing if this could have happened. But I guess we'll wait another year...

In what is sure to be a very extended meantime, this is about the most I can leave you with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2J7me4LtRg
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm

It's not really a joke, it's just a cross merchandising campaign Toho and Khara came up with to hype up advance ticket sales for Resurgence later this month.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:13 am

I so desperately WANT those Evangelion vs Godzilla t-shirts.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:34 am

At least the logo looks cool. But Godzilla VS Evangelion would be a must-see film.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Murikov
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Murikov » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Anyone already noted that fan trailer released today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHMyWKElKE

Seems to be kind of a mash-up of Shin-Gojira and those live-action scenes from another impact plus some stuff from other movies.

Description says このビデオは、ファンによって作られたので、それはxapaの一部ではありませんしました。which means as much as "This video, because it was made by a fan, is not owned by khara."

Chainer3000
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chainer3000 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 pm

Ha! That's a neat little mashup. It's too bad it was stylized by an ungodly amount of quick, jump edits, but I guess that was ironically the best way to make it look like a cohesive piece.

Almost anything EvaZillon is cool in my book. I love the Godzilla Unit 1 figurine that released recently - it looks so badass (the unit 2 666 or beast mode or whatever they've decided to call it now, not so much)

It's funny looking back at the OP and seeing how excited they were so close to April Fools, hehe!! I bet that still happens to people who stumble upon the mech and website, but now it's so separated from the 1st there's no way they would figure that out.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”