Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 am

Spam bots have broken in, I repeat, spam bots have broken in.

I have found them where this thread is located, and the Rebuild section so far.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:03 am

???

I didn't noticed anything.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 am

That's because the staff are so efficient.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm

The wiki and front page sites have been upgraded to use apache 2.4, which isn't a trivial upgrade from 2.2, post something here if it's not behaving right.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:38 am

My box says that I've received a notification, but when when i search for it not a single thread i was apart of is colored red
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:51 am

That's a new one. Offhand I'd guess something like, the topic which sparked the notification got moved or deleted. Perhaps one of the recent spambots posted in a forum to which you're subscribed.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 am

That happens to me when one thread is combined into another. That happened last night with the Death/Rebirth; EoE thread, which was folded into the Introspection/Weaving a Story thread and subsequently renamed.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:05 am

Hmm. No DNS equals no site... I thought at first it was something else, because I could browse and post here even though no one else could; but it seems my own DNS still had the site address cached. This morning it's gone from the cache, but I can get in by putting the address in my "hosts" file instead.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:08 am

One of the hosts went down and they've been contacted. In the mean time, I've made the slave DNS the current master, but still half of the DNS resolution requests will be going to the server that's down so only half of the people can get to the site.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 pm

^ This has been frustrating, but knowing what the issue is and that you guys are aware of it makes me feel better. This is the first time I've been able to get on the site in probably 20 hours.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:18 pm

It is indeed unusual for a commercially run DNS server to be out for such a long period, so this has been rank bad luck. For comparison, the DNS hosting I use for my own sites has had zero downtime in the fourteen years I've been using them.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:34 pm

I had some wackiness for the past day, I couldn't get on because I wouldn't connect to the site.

Guess that's resolved now. ^_^
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Things are working fine again for me. Hopefully for everyone else as well.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:48 pm

This is the first time that I've been able to get on since Friday, seems good now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Two days ago I couldn't get on at all, the site just wouldn't load AT ALL.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:08 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Two days ago I couldn't get on at all, the site just wouldn't load AT ALL.

DNS trouble. Scroll up for details.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:26 am

I seem to have a notification I can't dismiss. I get an error message saying something went wrong when I try to mark all my notifications as "read".
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:47 am

I have found that I can't dismiss a notification from Safari on my iPhone, but returning to another browser on a desktop there was no problem. What browser are you using?

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Firefox on a Mac.

I'll try another browser on another computer.

Edit: Okay, that was weird. The notification was for a message that I had already read, but I had to mark the message as "read" explicitly before the notification disappeared...
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Be advised: I'm spending the next hour or several working on site code... on the live site. If the site breaks suddenly but only briefly, that was me trying out something that didn't work. If the thing you're trying to do is STILL broken several minutes later, that means it's something I think is working but actually isn't for at least some of you. Those ones, I'd like to be informed about.

EDIT: Done for tonight.
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”