Anime Abandon: D&R / EoE Reviews

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Yeah.....you know a reviewer is terrible if the he basically says fuck it after 3/4 of the film is over.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Yeah.....you know a reviewer is terrible if the he basically says fuck it after 3/4 of the film is over.

Also, what was that part at the end supposed to be? About playing baseball. Was that supposed to be a parody of Shinji looking for meaning in his life? If that was the intention...it sucked.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:50 am

I just watched his EoE review :rofl:

Where the fuck did that Spear come from?

"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

As someone who follows Bennett and know people who share his opinion, I think what's going on with his review is that Bennett got himself in position where he had to talk about a movie that symbolizes ideas and a particular POV that he either disagrees with or can't stand to thoroughly question. He let the imagery and said ideals get the best of him, and the result is self-introspection that has him convinced that reviewing movies like this is just not in his nature. That is think is why we're not taking kindly to this review; we don't want to sympathize with the idea that someone could of watched this film and felt like they "learned" something from Anno. We, as fans, can't bring ourselves to admit that there might be people who encounter people like this and just let them think; we HAVE to convince them and us that Evangelion is something special, and if they don't see it, well, screw them, what an idiot.

So in my case, I'll disagree with Bennett's conclusion with the movie, and I do think some of the jokes he came up for this doesn't really entertain all that much. But I'll give him credit; he did something different with the movie, and it's getting a reaction. Just like any review should aspire to be.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:53 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:What bothered me was that there seemed to be a tone of superiority or even irritation towards those who dared to enjoy it. Did anyone else pick up on that?

As unlikely as it may be, I chose to interpret that as a parody of the stereotypical attitude of our fandom towards those who don't like the show, cf.

Imagining depth that isn't there keeps me sane without damaging my liver.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:59 am

I stopped taking him seriously after he said that the comasturbation (coma + masturbation, I'm patenting it) had no real effect on the plot. How much does he need spelled out for him?

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:59 am

Here a review of EOE I like.

Scott Rider, EOE review
If you’re on the newsgroup and read this, could you perhaps answer a question about End of Evangelion?

What actually happens in the movie is that as Nine Inch Nails’ “March of the Pigs” blares, Anno, backed by strobe lights, nude except for a tip of the hat to William Burroughs, and visibly aroused, blows away successive EVA characters with a 12-gauge Mossberg airsoft, the six millimeter pellets shredding acetate avatars. At the end, covered by flecked and filmy remnants, he inserts the gun into his own mouth, only to find the bore choked by wads of merchandising cash.
–Carl “I wear this crown of shit/Upon my liar’s chair” Horn
-o-;
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:01 pm

View Original PostEva-UnitK wrote:So I've been reading this thread and it seems this review is not even worth watching right?

You shoudn't, at all.You should avoid all of his reviews.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Anime Abandon: D&R / EoE Reviews

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm

since you brought it up again he recently get another review of an Eva Derivative. De:Vadasy.

http://benthesage.com/anime-abandon-devadasy/

look I like the review for what it was he's a comedian first reviewer second.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:17 pm

He may be a reviewer second, but he's still a reviewer
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:17 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:He may be a reviewer second, but he's still a reviewer

And a shitty one in fact.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Also, what was that part at the end supposed to be? About playing baseball. Was that supposed to be a parody of Shinji looking for meaning in his life? If that was the intention...it sucked.

He longed the video because ad revenue.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Um... yeah.... don't see what the point of this thread is anymore. Some fat guy with a camera doesn't like Evangelion. Nothing new. The second he started talking about maybe "cutting a scene that doesn't have anything to do with the plot" I zoned out. Finally turned the review off when he started using "shit" & "fuck" every other sentence. Look, I'm no prude, I love a good fucking curse now & then, BUT if you overuse the word as a description & as a joke it loses any sense of meaning.

I had more fun/sorrow reading the responses to the review on their forum. There really are whole areas of the Internet I do not want to venture.

He's a reviewer from the guy with the glasses,of course he will look like that.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:43 pm

I kind of hate it when reviewers go out of there way to review something they hate, because if you never liked it to start with why bother going to effort? The only thing I can agree with in this review is his thoughts on Shinji and Asuka's hospital bed as it just doesn't set up the premise for good hero material or gain sympathy from the audience but after that he just gets lost in his dislike of the movie and misses the point of what its all about.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:02 pm

I actually think that Sage can be a solid reviewer, but I couldn't stand watching his reviews of both movies. He pretty much ignored everything important about it and quitting before the movie was over can't be justified. And saying that Asuka's scene wasn't badass in comparison to Ghost in the Shell, just...no.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:24 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I kind of hate it when reviewers go out of there way to review something they hate, because if you never liked it to start with why bother going to effort?

Because people don't want repetition and when a review comes the audience all ready know how the reviewer would react at the anime.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:26 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote: And saying that Asuka's scene wasn't badass in comparison to Ghost in the Shell, just...no.

In my view comparing Evangelion to ghost in the shell is like comparing an apple to an orange, granted both shows have themes of sexuality, life, rebirth and mental thought but how they play with the source material is so different. Also the Mayor and Asuka are so different, granted there both women who kick ass but they couldn't be more different in mental thought and complexity.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Fan Works”