How Hideaki Anno ruined my life.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: How Hideaki Anno ruined my life.

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:46 pm

^It's a Nadia reference too. They find flowers growing in the ruins of Atlantis long after it was destroyed by the Light of Babel.

@ChaddyManPrime: She does. That Eva was advertised as Unit 08 in the preview at the end of 2.0 but was supplanted by Eva 13 and Mari's normal Eva 08 in the final movie.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:58 am

As an outsider to this debate, it's interesting that the responses have concentrated on explaining Q, without mentioning that a lot of analyses here saw already 2.0 as setting Shinji up for a big fall down the line (presumably after an episode 20-21 style interlude that would, based on the next episode PV, form at least the first part of 3.0) -- and those were the positive ones.

View Original PostOffthechainJoehovah wrote:This is my first and probably last post on this forum since I'm most likely about to ostracize myself :tongue:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words -- this is the picture you were painting:
The sentiment that Q ruined the GAR-Shinji end of 2.0 is the norm across much of the internet; here you are amongst the contrarians.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:28 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As an outsider to this debate, it's interesting that the responses have concentrated on explaining Q, without mentioning that a lot of analyses here saw already 2.0 as setting Shinji up for a big fall down the line (presumably after an episode 20-21 style interlude that would, based on the next episode PV, form at least the first part of 3.0) -- and those were the positive ones.

I personally never cared for explanations for Q. 14 years is plenty enough time to allow whatever needs to happen in order for the world to get that screwed up, especially when you already have a few mysterious Marks, a lance or two, and a giant goddess in the basement being decapitated.

Besides, for as much plot as there is to explore in any Evangelion series, it's always taken a back seat to the characters. That's one of the things I've always enjoyed about any version of the series. In EoE I didn't care so much about where the Angels came from inasmuch as I cared about what was going on wth Shinji.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:46 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The sentiment that Q ruined the GAR-Shinji end of 2.0 is the norm across much of the internet; here you are amongst the contrarians.

Well, it did (it was actually ended at the end of Ha, but the GAR fans don't wanna pay attention to that). But that was rather the point, since this is Eva: fighting spirit isn't gonna save the day, and it never has in this show. People who are disappointed in Q are mad at Eva for being Eva, not at anything particular to Q. To which I say, "Oh well!" At the end of the day it's just a cartoon, so there's no real reason to get worked up about it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:55 pm

GAR?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:GAR?

Know your meme.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:01 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The sentiment that Q ruined the GAR-Shinji end of 2.0 is the norm across much of the internet; here you are amongst the contrarians.

2.0 practically beat you over the head telling you that GAR-Shinji was a bad thing. He's still like that in 3.0 and that attitude is how he keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole. I think it makes people really uncomfortable to see a protagonist power fantasy have actual, dire consequences for a change.

Bagheera wrote:People who are disappointed in Q are mad at Eva for being Eva, not at anything particular to Q.

I have seen several people complain "[thing Q did] ruined the franchise!" when said element was also present in the original series. I don't know if their memories are clouded by nostalgia or what.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm pretty sure Evangelion causing depression has been a joke(with real truth to it) around here for some time. Personally, I can attest. I've shown the show to several people and I've noticed their moods drop. The guy who even introduced it to me was exhibiting some symptoms of depression. I personally suffer from a (lightening) depression and I have been distancing myself from the series because of it.

It is unfortunate, because Eva is such a great series... but one of the reasons it's so great is because of the depressive messages it delivers. It's what make Eva stand out, and I really think Q drove that point home as well. A lot of people aren't cool with Q but I think the psychological trauma, mixed with the short-sightedness given to the viewer, is what made it so good. It's what made EoE so good.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:2.0 practically beat you over the head telling you that GAR-Shinji was a bad thing. He's still like that in 3.0 and that attitude is how he keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole. I think it makes people really uncomfortable to see a protagonist power fantasy have actual, dire consequences for a change.

I actually really like GAR-Shinji as a character (while recognizing it as a personality flaw and not a completely positive development), which makes it even easier to appreciate that 3.0 should put the nail in the coffin for the Shinji haters who always say things like, "He's so emo. If I was in his place I wouldn't act like that. I'd be such a badass."

Yeah, GAR-Shinji is badass. It makes nothing better.

Gendo's New Groove
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's New Groove » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:18 am

The ending is pretty ambiguous, and can come off as a bad ending, at least very somber. Plus, Asuka and Misato's deaths might have been unnerving and distracting from the rest of the film. But I liked it. Don't see it as a bad ending very much at all. The children made it through Third Impact and have the change to be happy. Good enough for me, anyway.

3.0 was also a thing, I don't hate it and I even like how radically different it is from NGE. I can't say I saw NGE or Rebuilds right when they came out, but this is what I was hoping for going into Rebuild when I was binging the series. Again, good for me, not so much for people who aren't into "deconstructions"* like NGE.

*Best thing I can describe Evangelion as, though I don't think I fully understand the term "deconstruction" (when referring to anime) to confidently call Eva one.
All is not right, God is not in his heaven.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:20 am

Q did everything I wanted from Eva.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 am

Good for you
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:02 pm

I meant to elaborate further.

The fact that it put Shinji in a place where he wasn't expected to pilot and where he had no encouragement until he met Kaworu is one of 3.0's best strengths. Shinji usually put himself in that place mentally, on his own, but here it was external in addition to internal. It makes his catatonia at the end all the more believable. As an action fan, I appreciated the 4-way Eva + 12 Angel + Wunder fight at the end too.

I enjoyed the place they put Asuka: concerned over the mission versus simply herself, skills and external perception. Granted that was resolved in 2.22 and she's also mentally 28 in Q. She works as a team and even encourages it with Mari.

Misato is the absolute commander of WILLE and it's nice to see her in that role.

I could go on, but I felt my simple needed some elaboration. ^_^
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

calbufa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby calbufa » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 am

Maybe im a lillte bit late to the party, and i will try not to hate about ur post but...

First of all, if u think that the end of the series (NOT EoE) is depressing u have a problem. If u cant see its positive message either u have to rewatch it again or u dont have enough mental capacity to understand it. If its the second case, i gotta tell u, this anime is not for u.

Second, for what im reading, u like better the films than the tv series, if thats the case, go watch another anime, cause there are TONS of animes in wich the protagonist is a baddass and saves the world, and saves the girl and all that stuff (wich in my opinion is not bad, but Evangelion is not about that).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 pm

View Original Postcalbufa wrote:u dont have enough mental capacity to understand it

Please refrain from insulting the intelligence of other users. "Do unto others", and all that. And no more "text-ese"; this isn't that kind of place.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”