Summer 2016/ End of Summer Post

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Summer 2016/ End of Summer Post

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 pm

When I was younger I always did these things called "End of Summer Posts" on all the forums I visited. I had online friends on various sites and we all kinda talked about what we did that summer - before school began (end of August is a dreadful time when you're a student lol). I kinda stopped doing them closer to the end of High School and Uni - but for some reason I feel like doing one again haha!

It's a little early to post this, but it'll give us a chance to talk over it for the next month So here's what has been going on with me:

The summer heat is crazy. I live on Toronto, Canada - we have huge temperature spikes. The Winters get as low as -30C (plus windchill) and the short Summers get up to like 33C (plus humidity), it's quite stressful on the body. Today I heard cicadas for the first time this summer - and if you don't know, cicadas are indicators of the summer ending (typically in August when the heat is at its peak before the drop in the fall).

My summer is going to be slow this month. I've done all the major things I had planned, and now I just wait all August until my final year of university begins. Due to my internship abroad, I couldn't get a full time summer job - so August is just my "relax and do nothing" month. It feels a little surreal but this is technically my final summer as a student. I've been in school my whole life and then jumped straight into University. I feel saddened realizing that this is my final summer as a student. Won't ever have to worry about studies resuming in the Fall.

I have nothing much going on (thankfully I completed all my major tasks that needed to be addressed). My remaining plans for August are:
-Continue my morning runs to the gym (while it's nice and empty)
-Chilling with friends
-Catching up on TV shows/games that I have in my backlog
-Selling old DVDs/Games (I have wayy to much stuff I don't need, all of it needs to go on eBay, empty some shelf space)
-Continue researching and thinking of post grad plans

Just curious, what's everyone else up to for August before the Fall starts? I love reading these posts and finding out what other people are up to. Granted, it's not as fun as in the past, many of us are adults here, but still an enjoyable read :)

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Summer 2016/ End of Summer Post

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm

In august I will go to dentist,go to beach and I i will re-buy my school's uniform because the last one doesn't fit anymore.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Not doing a whole lot this summer. More or less been working my rear end off and spending my of time just relaxing.

Weather has been mild this year which is a welcome change over the near triple digits we had nearly all summer last year.

I am however this upcoming Saturday going to Microsoft Co-founder Paul Allen's Military museum for their third annual airshow, and the following Saturday at another airshow featuring the Breitling jet team as the headline performers, which is a first for them to come here, so that will be cool.

Other than that, gonna be spending much time relaxing as come October I'm not going to be home much as I'll be traveling a ton for work. It's all being paid for by the company although I'll be pulling very long hours as a result, but I'll get to see parts of the state I've not seen before and possibly other states I've not been to either so that will be fun.

Also have tickets to see Black Sabbath in September and Steve Vai in October, which funnily enough, is the night before I have to leave for the final leg of installs so I'm super glad it all worked out perfectly.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Southern Illinois is an accursed wasteland in summer. Ridiculously hot, humidity nearly 100% all the dang time, and every day it's either oppressively oven-like or there's a crazy thunderstorm rolling by knocking down trees and power lines. It's also the season when road construction seems to be happening absolutely everywhere all at once, with endless opportunities for tickets and delays. On top of that Summer means most of the college kids are out of town, and thus many local business are closed or have reduced hours. If it wasn't for the local music scene (tons of free evening concerts in parks) this place would be utterly unbearable.

The rest of the this summer is going to be pretty busy and momentous for me. I'm shutting down my freelancing design business, quitting my design/retail side job, moving a few hours north and just a few days before my 38th birthday I'll be starting law school. Midlife crisis engaged? ^_^ I expect I won't be the only one going back to school after some real world experience, but the majority of my classmates probably will be 'fully grown children' fresh of the rack. Culture shock is eminent.

I'm getting ready to move now, my living room having become the staging area for sorting out what is worth packing, donating, selling, or just tossing in the dumpster. Frankly I'm shocked and appalled by just how much crap I've accumulated as well as how dusty much of it has gotten. Still, makes it a lot easier to decide what I clearly don't actually need! I also just got a new tablet/laptop for school, still getting a feel for it, installing various necessities and syncing it up with my desktop and phone. I'm probably due to upgrade my phone soon as well, but I'd rather just do one thing at a time.

I'm kind of overwhelemed at the moment with so many changes lined up, but screw it, new adventures await!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 pm

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:Other than that, gonna be spending much time relaxing as come October I'm not going to be home much as I'll be traveling a ton for work. It's all being paid for by the company although I'll be pulling very long hours as a result, but I'll get to see parts of the state I've not seen before and possibly other states I've not been to either so that will be fun.

Yes, it certainly will. I've been traveling since I turned 15 and I've become addicted to it. Seen a lot of the US, and most of Europe. For instance, this summer I was in Germany for a two month internship - I thought it would suck since I worked. However, it was a surprisingly enjoyable trip. Got to see Frankfurt and Berlin as well as Paris and London (Europe is so small by comparison to North America, travel distance is laughable).

I guarantee that with the right planning you'll be able to enjoy this trip!

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm shutting down my freelancing design business, quitting my design/retail side job, moving a few hours north and just a few days before my 38th birthday I'll be starting law school. Midlife crisis engaged? ^_^ I expect I won't be the only one going back to school after some real world experience, but the majority of my classmates probably will be 'fully grown children' fresh of the rack. Culture shock is eminent.

Congratz! One thing I'll say though, it seems to me you are slightly behind on modern demographics of schooling. Nearly a quarter of the student body at my university comprises of adults, people over 30, and my school has the largest amount of students in the country - us having 58,000 students across two campuses in 2015.
With social norms changing and becoming more accepting of career changes around midlife, as well as overall globalization with many immigrants coming to first world countries, there are a lot of adults at school these days. Post Grad institutions give preferences to mature students over High School kids, that is the case with Medical Schools, Law Schools, MBA programs, and even Masters. I am actively seeking a Masters Degree to parallel with my first few years of working, and many institutions say that being 22 is a little young. Typically people my age are still children that don't concern themselves with with career oriented choices at this stage. Post Ggrad students are typically over 25 and closer to their late 20s - or at least that is slowly becoming the norm.

I'm sure you won't feel out of place. I don't think it'll be just you and a bunch of 21 year olds, trust me, there will be more grown ups than you think ^_^

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm getting ready to move now, my living room having become the staging area for sorting out what is worth packing, donating, selling, or just tossing in the dumpster. Frankly I'm shocked and appalled by just how much crap I've accumulated as well as how dusty much of it has gotten.

I'm kind of overwhelemed at the moment with so many changes lined up, but screw it, new adventures await!

Yes, I know that feel. I can't quite understand how I accumulated this much junk and stuff myself. Threw out a ton, put giant lots of "stuff" online to sell, just wanna get rid of things I don't need and empty up some space for breathing lol! And you're right, being busy is a blessing! Having things to do and events to look forward to are signs of you living a healthy life. It's the worst when you are just slaving away every second of your life with no sense of purpose. Being busy leads to self fulfillment, a healthy mindset, and better organization/time management in general = helps you get more things done.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:31 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Yes, it certainly will. I've been traveling since I turned 15 and I've become addicted to it. Seen a lot of the US, and most of Europe. For instance, this summer I was in Germany for a two month internship - I thought it would suck since I worked. However, it was a surprisingly enjoyable trip. Got to see Frankfurt and Berlin as well as Paris and London (Europe is so small by comparison to North America, travel distance is laughable).

I guarantee that with the right planning you'll be able to enjoy this trip!

Very nice! I hope to one day soon travel to Ireland, England, and probably Germany. A lot of planning before that happens but hoping to go to Ireland possibly next spring.

Already looking at things to go do and see that are close by where I shall be staying in each city when I am off for the day. Going to take every advantage I get once this all this traveling gets into full swing.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:55 am

I decided to not take Summer classes this year, and I'm glad for it. Didn't realize how much I needed the break. I mostly just worked, slept, and caught up on video games, but there were a few cool moments: my brother visited for a couple weeks, and I took him to AnimeExpo with me; my dad and grandmother also happened to be in the city for a day and we went to see the museum he'd just worked on (my father is in architecture); and just within these last couple weeks, an old friend reached out to me, even came to visit, and now we're back in touch. Another thing worth mentioning is that I renewed my ID, I got a misprint fixed on it for free, and my picture and signature are both on-point! (the things that matter)

As the stereotype goes, the weather in LA is always nice, unless it's the Summer and nice becomes 90-100 degrees F. It doesn't help that the AC at my work (a kitchen, mind you, with a very large grill) is shoddy and often won't work at all. We're mostly used to it, but there was at least one day where it was literally too hot to remain open for business. One cool thing about the weather is being able to be dressed lightly at midnight (like a t-shirt), although my skinny ass still manages to get cold anyways.

I go back to school for Fall in a couple weeks, and then it'll be back into that grind. I'm eliminating some of my few remaining general classes, as well as taking a piano class and an economics class. Weeee,e,ee,e,e,,,..
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”