Would you prefer rebuild to be a series?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Apox
Embryo

Would you prefer rebuild to be a series?

•      
  •      

Postby Apox » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Obviously it's too late, but I can't help but feel that RoE would have been a great 26 episode series (maybe even more). 13 episodes pre-3.0 and 13 episodes post-3.0 (perhaps some explaining the time in between N3I and the return of Shinji).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Would you prefer rebuild to be a series?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:39 pm

As well as reaching an additional audience (I imagine), two of the benefits of the film route are time and budget to do a better job. These were both things that bedevilled NGE towards the end, and while the outcome was a triumph, I don't suppose Anno would willingly go through the same wringer again (seeing as he can do that to himself emotionally, as with Q, doing without additional strain must still be a benefit).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:14 pm

A series would almost certainly be much more consistent rather than delivering these sharp turns in tone. You can't just completely change your mind between takes when there's a larger production stream to consider.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:26 pm

But it is a series.

A film series. :-3

Anyway, we already had an Evangelion TV show. If Rebuild of Evangelion had ended up going the TV route rather the movie one, it's exponentially more likely that it would have just ended up being a "prettier with some differences here and there" remake of the original, rather than the wacky ride it turned into. The project was, after all, initially going to be mostly a condensed retread with just enough new content (including yet another ending) to get people into theater seats. The scale of the audience reception to Ha's mock-up preview got the ball rolling for the new movies to become more uniquely their own thing. This sort of turn-about wouldn't have been possible within the constraints of a TV production schedule, with audiences only able to react to one episode at a time (by which point the next episode would be mostly finished).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:20 pm

I kind of wish Rebuild had been a reboot series because in it I just never feel like I got to know the characters the way I did in the original series. Like I have no idea who Mari really is, I don't know Asuka's back story and what her reasons are for wanting to be alone and if they are like her counterparts. I don't know Shinji's background and it frustrates me somewhat because the original series though its episodes are short you do get so much more back story. Then again Anno might have just left this out because this is a continuation of the original series and the next movies title is just about resenting to the start all over again hence why its called 1.0 and 3.0...Q huge naked goddess Rei all over again and final impact
:rei_meh:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:59 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Then again Anno might have just left this out because this is a continuation of the original series

It's not :irked:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:42 am

I prefer Anno's new Eva series as a film series. Like Reichu said, we've already had our Eva TV series. Also, making another TV series would mean more unfair comparisons to the original series despite the filmmakers trying something different.

I would NOT want to sit through about 18 only slightly different episodes before getting to the new stuff at the end. It's better to rework the narrative to focus more on the two main characters (Misato and Shinji) and allow the narrative to work in such a way where newcomers aren't feeling like they're missing vital narrative details, and older fans don't feel like they have to sit through much of the same stuff over again before getting to the new stuff.

New Eva is better as film. Old Eva is better as mostly television. (Heck, even EoE split itself into two parts and called them "Episodes.")

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:32 am

One thing is for sure, if it was a 26 episode series, it'd be finished and turning 10 by now.

Something to think about. We all assume by the time the last rebuild movie releases, the total time between all 4 movies will clock in around 8 hours or so.
NGE, and EoE clocks in if I remember correctly 10-12 hours. They shouldn't be that far off from running time, although a 26 eps rebuild would likely have 2 more hours or 6 more episodes of content then the completed film series.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:33 am

After seeing Toei adapt the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F movies as story arcs in DB Super, I can safely say no. While the TV versions of the story did iron out some plotholes that were introduced in the movies, had a little more character development and made one particular fight much more spectacular, the overall quality of the product is much lower and it's pretty obnoxious to spend time watching a story spread out over 15 22 minute episodes when you know it can be told to satisfaction in about 90 minutes.

Like FreakyFilmFan4ever said, unless they changed the beginning or added in new content with Mari/Asuka/Kaji, then at least the first 6-10 episodes would be a heavy retread of the same stuff already covered in NGE, and everything up to 18 or 19 would still be very similar. And it wouldn't look as good as the movies do. Or they'd take the FMA Brotherhood approach and speed through the old content, which creates an entirely different set of problems.

I would like a Rebuild series about that unexplored time skip but that's a different kettle of fish.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:33 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I kind of wish Rebuild had been a reboot series because in it I just never feel like I got to know the characters the way I did in the original series. Like I have no idea who Mari really is, I don't know Asuka's back story and what her reasons are for wanting to be alone and if they are like her counterparts. I don't know Shinji's background and it frustrates me somewhat because the original series though its episodes are short you do get so much more back story. Then again Anno might have just left this out because this is a continuation of the original series and the next movies title is just about resenting to the start all over again hence why its called 1.0 and 3.0...Q huge naked goddess Rei all over again and final impact
:rei_meh:

The thing is, someone related to the project of rebuild has already said that it isn't a sequel or remake or reboot. So it can't be none of those things, unless they are a lying creator in which case it is.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:36 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:The thing is, someone related to the project of rebuild has already said that it isn't a sequel or remake or reboot.

Source?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Pretty sure the official word is that it's a "rebuild". ;p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:46 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Source?

Anno's statements printed in the leaflets for Eva Jo sound very much like he's "rebuilding" Eva, and not "following the story after" Eva.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:55 pm

In any case, there are many ways in which it simply doesn't work as a continuation; and what's more, the links sometimes quoted have all been thoroughly debunked.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:57 pm

^
See that's simply not true Good Sir

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Anno's statements printed in the leaflets for Eva Jo sound very much like he's "rebuilding" Eva, and not "following the story after" Eva.

Is what he says really that vague, I know "LOLZ That's Evangelion for you" can be said but was he actually that open ended?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:42 pm

To my mind the only completely unexplained thing is Kaworu's various cryptic remarks hinting at knowing Shinji; but possible meanings have been suggested that do not require Rebuild to be a sequel of the series or even a loop within itself.

Seriously, what is gained by making it a sequel? If that were to do anything what it would do is invalidate the whole purpose of the series, which can hardly be what Anno wants, surely!

But we already have a (huge) thread for this discussion.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Can we please not turn this into another one of THOSE threads? Back to topic. Thanks.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:50 pm

^
I not talking about that Good Sir, I'm talking about the Manga and the short film, besides the real sequel could only be 3.0.

It's not about gaining anything, and wouldn't invalidate the series, the series is about Rebuilding, and the broken needs to Rebuilt, it's the right thing to do.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:45 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Seriously, what is gained by making it a sequel? If that were to do anything what it would do is invalidate the whole purpose of the series, which can hardly be what Anno wants, surely!

Not trying open a can of worms here but say if Anno is making rebuild a sequel it would make sense because then he could reboot it another ten years down the line with a different take on the franchise the cycle being a repeat just allows him to swim in money for the rest of his life. He's know Evangelion is massively profitable and since Godzilla reassurance has real hit the right cords he basically now has the playground to do what ever he wants...I don't see him putting these characters to bed not when there's cash involved and it wouldn't surprise me if Rebuild gets a bunch of AU manga spin offs along with a full set of Manga's just like the original Evangelion has plotting the whole story in more detail and showing the in-between 2.22 and 3.33 .
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”