Looking for games like evangelion.

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

rarzilla
Embryo

Looking for games like evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby rarzilla » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 am

Greetings, I'm rarzilla!
And I'm looking for games like evangelion. I searched for similar threads but wasn't satisfied with the results. The closest ones I' ve found are Life is Strange and VA-11 HALL-A.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Looking for games like evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:39 am

Killer7?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Not really sure what you mean by "games like Evangelion". What sorts of similarities are you looking for?

Xenogears for the PS1 comes to mind. This is a classic SquareSoft JRPG that is, sort of like Eva, a loving homage to the mecha genre with ample amounts of Judeo-Christian symbology thrown in. The execution is incredibly different, but there are enough general similarities that it's worth a look. Note that the gameplay is, at this point, woefully outdated, and the game itself was tragically rushed to completion, though the scope of the game's story is so incredibly epic that most everything is forgivable if you get far enough into the proceedings.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 pm

If it's a mindfuck deconstruction you're looking for, I highly recommend Spec Ops: The Line.
[Redacted]

rarzilla
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rarzilla » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm not familiar with Japanese games so I'd refrain from recommending them if possible. Rather, look at the games above themselves: both start with nightmares and ghost girls apparitions. In Life is Strange case it's posters of a missing girl. The similarities extend to a vast cast of characters, sketches of Asuka's traits as much as everyone else and freudian psychobabble, biggest difference being there isn't a power fantasy of any sort in va11halla.

Oh, I've found hyperlight drifter! The intro looks like hitting all the points of the first episode and fight. This one is particularly heavy on imagery.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:33 pm

hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Bioshock 2 is my least favorite game in the trilogy, but Evangelion reminded me of it for reasons you'll understand once you play it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:29 pm

What about Metal Gear Solid 2? It goes straight into super-meta mindfuck territory toward the end. There are some other weird similarities here and there, too, like the Patriots and Raiden's lonely fight against mass produced versions of the titular mecha.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I recently just compared some story elements in Final Fantasy IX to Eva. A lot of them are grasping at straws though. post/836659/Final-Fantasy-series/#836659

FFX might play more of a similar role for JRPGs as Eva does for mecha anime. A casual deconstruction of the genre, with dark themes surrounding religion. Each world is on the brink of annihilation. A parent of the progonist has their soul embodied into a giant monster. The souls of those trapped in statues power the summons and other things, like how the souls of mothers power the Evas. The protagonist has to come to terms with his daddy issues. Each story subverts certain classical roles, namely the "princess" in FFX.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

rarzilla
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rarzilla » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 am

A killer app would be a visual novel that doesn't suck.
I watched Katanagatari and Bakemonogatari, they are KareKano with text density and pop art backgrounds. Well Bake is. The cinematography around them winks to what visual novels could do to deliver text in 2 or 3 lines of subtitles at most. They can be separated in parts since KareKano and Bake apply inserts from documents, newspapers, manga, novels. Put a mechanic in there like vallhalla's to reach an armony in storytelling and gameplay without relying on diologue choices.
You have to wonder why the rebuilds never used any karekano trick and left everything to Shaft.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Looking for games like evangelion. BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 am

Thread over; my entry is the clear winner :nod: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sjmQ6GEW3Y

Sadly, I've only seen skins for UT3, although they look pretty good in action.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

rarzilla
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rarzilla » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:41 am

The hunger, it's real. I even watched the Okabe-chan short from the animator expo.
Back on topic an Attack on Titan videogame is coming to ps4. The anime is a bit of an Evangelion rip off.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”