Why Is There so much Polarization Regarding the Series?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Why Is There so much Polarization Regarding the Series?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:56 am

View Original PostXxx_Generic Name_Xxx wrote:Because to apreciate the series you must be in the characters shoes,but if you have a happy-go-lucky life,you will hate the show because you din'the experienced the characters pain.

It is actually possible to develop empathy for things one hasn't directly experienced; and watching or reading about them is a good starting point for that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:10 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It is actually possible to develop empathy for things one hasn't directly experienced; and watching or reading about them is a good starting point for that.

Yeah but to have a truly apreciați to Eva must've been in the characters shoes at least once
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:10 pm

View Original PostXxx_Generic Name_Xxx wrote:Yeah but to have a truly apreciați to Eva must've been in the characters shoes at least once

That's true, but I can still see some people being turned off because, atmittingly, there a few scenes that do go over-the-top in various ways. Some will find it more, but that's beside the point.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:02 am

View Original PostXxx_Generic Name_Xxx wrote:Yeah but to have a truly apreciați to Eva must've been in the characters shoes at least once

Yes and no. I've recommended Eva to a lot of people that I like and the reactions were pretty varried. I've seen people who were pretty close to Shinji in terms of their mental instability and tendency towards escapism. They often hated Shinji because they expected the guy to go full "bad-ass" and were mad that he would get worse at certain points. I've met people who were like him but it almost seemed like they hated the character. On the other hand I know people who weren't as troubled as him but were sensitive, imaginative and empathetic people, they could feel sorry for Shinji or I remember one friend saying he reminded him of a friend who was clinicaly depressed (even some of the phrases and quirks were the same) and thus the character moved him even more because of that.

People can also dislike the show because of different aspects than the characters. Some dislike the type of narrative which forces you to dig around a bit and therefore say it's just random or senseless. I always like stories that had a bit of a "puzzle" factor to them, but I know some people hate that. Some people will enjoy it once you explain it but I've met others to who'm I explained some aspects of the story and they would not accept it and say that I'm trying to hard and the creators didn't mean anything besides confusing people.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Probably broadly true. We have had a lot of members over the years who have admitted to depression, and the only successful recommendation I've made of the series was to a young man who had just been diagnosed as such -- Anno's own art self-therapy is effective for others too.

For my part, I would have seen it as successful high-concept SF, even had I not seen far too much of a younger me in Asuka.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”