Best Anime lists (The Good, the Bad and the Uguu~)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:IGN's 25 Greatest Anime Characters

#1 will surprise some of you

Broken clock saying holds true indeed, that's pretty good list.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Wow, I'm amazed a generally crap site like IGN would go with that stance, kudos. I figured they just would've said "Ah F-it" and gone with Goku.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm pissed that Sailor Moon wasn't on the list and that DBZ characters were, bad enough I have to deal with an obnoxious DBZ fanboy that's obsessed with futas and kingdom hearts and his overpowered fanfic character. :facepalm: I'm glad Shinji and Asuka made it on the list. ^_^

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Broken clock saying holds true indeed, that's pretty good list.

LOL all the dumbfucks in the comments whining, bithcing, and arguing Goku is a better and and more fully rounded character than Shinji. Fucking plebs. There's a difference between "popular" characters and "great characters". Goku bests Shinji easily in the popularity category, but Shinji has WAY more depth as an overall character, whose importance to the medium cannot be overstated.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:LOL all the dumbfucks in the comments whining, bithcing, and arguing Goku is a better and and more fully rounded character than Shinji. Fucking plebs. There's a difference between "popular" characters and "great characters". Goku bests Shinji easily in the popularity category, but Shinji has WAY more depth as an overall character, whose importance to the medium cannot be overstated.

Goku's an asshole, constantly leaves his family and friends to punch a brick wall for 100 months or some bs. :lol:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:40 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:LOL all the dumbfucks in the comments whining, bithcing, and arguing Goku is a better and and more fully rounded character than Shinji. Fucking plebs. There's a difference between "popular" characters and "great characters". Goku bests Shinji easily in the popularity category, but Shinji has WAY more depth as an overall character, whose importance to the medium cannot be overstated.

Typical Goku vs. Shinji debate: "Goku is much more powerful than Shinji = Better character."

:hahaha:

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Typical Goku vs. Shinji debate: "Goku is much more powerful than Shinji = Better character."

Makes sense since most baka gaijin otaku love their powerlevels more than anything else, including waifus (how horrifying).

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 am

Isn't Goku actually meant to be nothing more than a bunch of muscles ? Why are people even arguing about whether not he's a good character ?
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Typical Goku vs. Shinji debate: "Goku is much more powerful than Shinji = Better character."

Well, duh... 'cuz Goku is a Ailen while Shinji is Human
:D

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Well, duh... 'cuz Goku is a Ailen while Shinji is Human
:D

And he had a tail .. a TAIL ! How can you beat that. :hohum:
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:And he had a tail .. a TAIL ! How can you beat that. :hohum:

What does Shinji have, I wonder?
SPOILER: Show

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:What does Shinji have, I wonder?
SPOILER: Show

Well ... a tail too... sort of. :rimshot:
__

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Topic, Bitches
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Not a best of list but I found this interesting line up to show.

Representative anime of last 50 years:
http://www.anime-japan.jp/sponsor/openTheater.html

(Check view source)
<60s>
「Astro Boy」
「Star of the Giants」
「GeGeGe no Kitaro」
「Cyborg 009」

<70s>
「Gundam」
「Lupin III Part 1」
「Galaxy Express 999」
「Future Boy Conan」

<80s>
「Urusei Yatsura」
「Dragon Ball」
「Macross」
「Captain Tsubasa」

<90s>
「Sailor Moon」
「Neon Genesis Evangelion」
「Digimon Adventure」
「GaoGaiGar」

<00s>
「Fullmetal Alchemist 2003」
「The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya」
「Pretty Cure」
「Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex」

<10s>
「Puella Magi Madoka Magica」
「Attack on Titan」
「Girls und Panzer」
「Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love 1000%」

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Saw that list yesterday myself. I can understand every pick very well up to GaoGaiGar. Because really, why GaoGaiGar? It's relatively obscure mecha series in Japan and we have Eva already for mecha. Why not Yu Yu Hakusho or One Piece to cover for shonen, Utena for shoujo (oh right SM) or Cowboy Bebop for the big global hit/appeal/whatever? There were many bigger titles than GaoGaiGar in 90s with more cultural capital going for it.

00s listing is again very reasonable. 10s feels...tentative, to say the least. I love GaruPan but I'm not sure if I'd put it up as particularly good representative of current animu. I guess it's there to stand-in for Haruhiesque otaku material but still.

The real joke is Uta no Prince-sama though I guess it's understandable as sort of modern Prince of Tennis. I wish they would've opted for some actual shoujo manga title instead, nevertheless...

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Because really, why GaoGaiGar?

I guess it depends on how much you're buying into the "Eva as a deconstruction, GGG as a reconstruction" argument. Personally, I don't put much stock in it. After all, a lot of Eva's genre-breaking weirdness was accidental, whereas GGG was an evolutionary endpoint of a very long franchise.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Saw that list yesterday myself. I can understand every pick very well up to GaoGaiGar. Because really, why GaoGaiGar? It's relatively obscure mecha series in Japan and we have Eva already for mecha. Why not Yu Yu Hakusho or One Piece to cover for shonen, Utena for shoujo (oh right SM) or Cowboy Bebop for the big global hit/appeal/whatever? There were many bigger titles than GaoGaiGar in 90s with more cultural capital going for it.

00s listing is again very reasonable. 10s feels...tentative, to say the least. I love GaruPan but I'm not sure if I'd put it up as particularly good representative of current animu. I guess it's there to stand-in for Haruhiesque otaku material but still.

The real joke is Uta no Prince-sama though I guess it's understandable as sort of modern Prince of Tennis. I wish they would've opted for some actual shoujo manga title instead, nevertheless...

One Piece anime is too trashy. I didn't even know what Uta no Prince-sama was before I googled it.

GuP is a phenomenon in terms of execution and success. It pushed the military otakuness beyond the niche and revitalised a somewhat stale moe genre. We will see if other shows can match it in the future but I think it has deserved its spot for the time being.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:IGN's 25 Greatest Anime Characters

#1 will surprise some of you

Even the most stupid people can be smart sometimes.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Best Anime lists (The Good, the Bad and the Uguu~)

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:45 pm

I guess I'll add my two cents since this thread is revived.

10 - Pokemon NO
9 - Code Geass Sure
8 - Fairy Tale HAHAHA NO
7 - Naruto Part 1 is not a bad show, but not top 10 worthy
6 - Bebop Sure
5 - Bleach If you only count up to the end of the Soul Society Arc, then sure
4 - One Piece Again, manga is okay, anime not top 10 worthy
3 - DBZ Fine, only for nostalgia's sake
2 - Death Note Sure
1 - FMA Sure

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:25 pm

View Original PostXxx_Generic Name_Xxx wrote:Even the most stupid people can be smart sometimes.

This must be an updated list, cause last time I saw this list, Shinji was ranked #25.

Either way, I'm not complaining. It's also finally refreshing to see character like Johan Liebert and Lain Irukawa on the list as well (Though if Lil' Slugger from Paranoia Agent made, then I'd have more to gush about).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Return to “Anime and Manga”