Chrono Trigger vs Chrono Cross

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Chrono Trigger vs Chrono Cross

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 pm

I want your opinion about these game an wich one is better for you.
For me Chrono Cross >>>>>>Chrono Trigger (don't beat up my ass).
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Chrono Trigger vs Chrono Cross

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Nope, Trigger is the better game in almost every respect. The charecters are more focused and memorable, the combo techs aren't just an afterthought, the story makes way more sense and is far less pretentious, the soundtrack is better (though obviously with inferior instrumentation), the game system isn't ridiculously convoluted and capped with tiresome summon capture quests, the enemy placement is deliberate rather both random and meaningless, and it's just plain more fun overall.

Honestly the biggest problem with Cross is that it in any way tried to be a sequel to Trigger, killing any prospect for a worthy successor that actually built on the former rather than all but retconning it into meaningless. If it was it's own IP I'd be more forgiving.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:56 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Nope, Trigger is the better game in almost every respect. The charecters are more focused and memorable, the combo techs aren't just an afterthought, the story makes way more sense and is far less pretentious, the soundtrack is better (though obviously with inferior instrumentation), the game system isn't ridiculously convoluted and capped with tiresome summon capture quests, the enemy placement is deliberate rather both random and meaningless, and it's just plain more fun overall.

Honestly the biggest problem with Cross is that it in any way tried to be a sequel to Trigger, killing any prospect for a worthy successor that actually built on the former rather than all but retconning it into meaningless. If it was it's own IP I'd be more forgiving.

Chrono Trigger has great characters,no random battles,the gameplay is fun and The story is great?HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!
The characters have literally no character development,the gameplay is average,there a some random encounters in the game,the story of Cross makes sense,the story of Trigger is BAD and the Cross' gameplay isn't cool it ed and the instrumentals in Cross's music are good.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 pm

If you're just going to berate people for sharing their opinions AFTER YOU ASKED THEM TO, you can do it somewhere else.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If you're just going to berate people for sharing their opinions AFTER YOU ASKED THEM TO, you can do it somewhere else.

Well I shared my opinion (in a very agressive and stupid way)but I'm just a degenerate fanboy that shouldn't exist.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Clearly you're a crazy person and can't be reasoned with. ^_^ But for everyone else:

CT - 7 characters with unique skills both physical and magical, each crucial to the plot and offering good reasons to be used in different situations.
CC - 45 characters who are nearly all interchangeable, most having no plot relevance (some clearly jokes), who you can't even recruit all of in a single game.

CT - A straightforwards combat system that builds on character uniqueness in combinations, multi-part bosses and skills that make positioning matter.
CC - A convoluted mess of stamina costs, element grids, and 'fields', all of which lends very little actual fun to combats. Combos exist, but are mostly pointless.

CT - Enemies are placed to attack at checkpoints from different positions and arrangements, some of which are avoidable, many of them like mini puzzles.
CC - Encounters don't give XP, so you might as well just avoid or run, but you still have to do the grinding for materials anyway so you're stuck with it.

CT - A time travel plot that is easily understandable because it builds slowly over time with excellent pacing and strong episodic adventures along the way.
CC - A time and dimension jumping plot that is delivered mostly in a few gigantic info dumps with lots of tedium and filler between relevant plot beats.

CT - Charming, highly expressive character designs by the legendary Akira Toriyama and fittingly cartoony spritework throughout for enemies and locations.
CC - Jarring 90's era mix of low-poly 3d and prerendered backgrounds, and character art that was accepted as just marker comps rather than finished pieces.

CT - Extremely memorable soundtrack with great melodies, frequent use of character motif and changes in instrumentation to mark time periods.
CC - Dreamy instrumentals that tend to blur into 'elevator music' and are generally overproduced. Most of the best tracks are rehashes of CT originals.

But above all what is unforgivable is that CC systematically undermines the accomplishments of the original cast then murders them off screen.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Clearly you're a crazy person and can't be reasoned with. ^_^ But for everyone else:

If I have a different opinion than you It doesn't mean I'm a "crazy person".

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:38 pm

The smiley was there for a reason.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The smiley was there for a reason.

Please,our Lord and saviour,explain to me,the stupid philistine.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:52 am

Seriously? It was just a joke. learn to internet.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:42 pm

I prefer Chrono Cross. I can understand why people wouldn't, of course, and I won't claim it's the better game or anything. Just on a purely personal level, there's something about it that left a deeper impression upon my psyche. Years after thoroughly playing both -- new game + and multiple endings and all -- I would rather experience Cross again. Needless to say, art affects us all in different ways...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am

There are plenty of people on both sides, but for the life of me I just don't get the Cross side of the argument.

Then again I disliked the materia system in ff7 for similar reasons of added complexity with little payoff and undermining the individuality of the characters. I'm all for that in games where you have a main character to define as you will, not so much when it's a whole cast of people with their own stories to tell.

I don't hate the stamina bar and multiple types of basic attacks concept, but I think Xenogears did a better job with it. I also just plain don't understand the conceptual tie between attacks and spells... why should one be required for using the other? All making you attack a few times before blasting the enemy does is unnecessarily lengthen the already tedious combats.

l rather like the stars concept rather than xp, encouraging players to choose their fights wisely and focus on the big goals, but the rest of the game just doesn't support that paradigm well. Much better would have been making nonessential combats much more dangerous to encourage avoidance and eliminating the material grinding aspect that forces you to fight them anyway.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:23 pm

I think my preference has to do with Cross's overall atmosphere. There is the dreamy, playful, nostalgic side of it, violently clashing with all sorts of darkness, naval-gazing, and sublime inscrutability. I'm not really sure how else to put it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I think my preference has to do with Cross's overall atmosphere. There is the dreamy, playful, nostalgic side of it, violently clashing with all sorts of darkness, naval-gazing, and sublime inscrutability. I'm not really sure how else to put it.

Melancholic is a close one to put the atmosphere.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”