A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:28 am

And im fine with that, that post was less so me saying the movie was actually being made and more me pointing out he is legitimately trying to get this movie made instead of just planning it.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:44 pm

From what I've read it was the producers more than anyone who fucked up the Avatar movie, so it'd be interesting to see what Shyamalan would do if he had more creative control although I still wouldn't trust him with the series given all his recent turkeys.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:48 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:From what I've read it was the producers more than anyone who fucked up the Avatar movie, so it'd be interesting to see what Shyamalan would do if he had more creative control although I still wouldn't trust him with the series given all his recent turkeys.

You can't put all of that on the producers, I know some of the questionable material in the movie was shymalans idea such as the changes he made in how fire bending works.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:57 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:You can't put all of that on the producers, I know some of the questionable material in the movie was shymalans idea such as the changes he made in how fire bending works.

Just firebending?:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie5tRA76eRU[/url]
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:58 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:You can't put all of that on the producers, I know some of the questionable material in the movie was shymalans idea such as the changes he made in how fire bending works.

Of course, Shyamalan is still a bad director, but I think it's a bit unfair to put the blame entirely on his shoulders like many reviewers do. The casting (one of the movie's biggest flaws) seems to have been the producer's idea and the original script seemed fairy strong so who knows what it would've been like. Probably still bad, but maybe not as big of a train-wreck as it turned out to be.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Who's To Blame?  SPOILER: Show

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:19 pm

If you took all the other stuff away he's still only made two good and one passable movie.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:24 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If you took all the other stuff away he's still only made two good and one passable movie.

Sixth Sense was good and Unbreakable was passable . . . what's the other one?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Can i just say i actually did like the village up until the stupid twist ending, it was a pretty decent attempt at a psychological horror up till then.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:31 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Sixth Sense was good and Unbreakable was passable . . . what's the other one?

Sixth Sense was good, I personally consider Unbreakable better (I wasn't expecting a twist, I thought the twist was that David is actually a superhero) and Signs was OK.

The core concept of Signs is a good movie, and it had some nice scares, but it marks the point where Shyamalan started inserting his overwrought, bizarre, and somewhat contradictory philosophy of life into his movies.

I still find Lady in the Water amusing because he tries to tell a story about the important of myth and fiction but it's so up about its own ass about having a 'twist' that it makes no sense and Shyamalan gave up trying to prove how smart he is with his dumbass philosophy and instead just yells at the audience that he's the best writer ever with the worst thought out director cameo of all time.

Edit: The main thing I like about Signs is the way it builds tension, even though it throws away all the tension at the end for a message that boils down to "this vaguely denominational minister regained his faith after he realized God has been actively torturing him and his family so that his brother could use a baseball bat to knock holy water onto a demon to rescue his son who is conveniently immune to demonic sleeping gas because he has a debilitating disease that decreases his quality of life; having the brother be a guy who can knock the shit out of things with a baseball bat so he could kill the monster by beating the shit out of it with a baseball bat apparently doesn't cut it"

Seriously, God Himself ordained that this woman had to die in a horrific way in front of her husband so she could spout some gibberish that would inspire the guy's brother to knock water on the alien-demon with a baseball bad instead of, like, throwing it at him. Or hitting him with the goddamn bat. It's stupid but everybody knows this so I'll stop now.

The movie didn't actually need a god damn twist. Like I said there's a good movie buried in there but it's weighed down by armchair theology from somebody that's nowhere near as deep as he thinks he is.
Last edited by Chuckman on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I still find Lady in the Water amusing because he tries to tell a story about the important of myth and fiction but it's so up about its own ass about having a 'twist' that it makes no sense and Shyamalan gave up trying to prove how smart he is with his dumbass philosophy and instead just yells at the audience that he's the best writer ever with the worst thought out director cameo of all time.

and now he's forever remembered as the one who ruined the potential for a great franchise through his pretentiousness.

Remember that Iceberg photo? He's not the biggest part of the iceberg, but he's still part of it.

Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that M Night bought the film rights to Last Airbender outright. So as long as he owns them, he's the only one who can make and produce a Last Airbender film. True, Paramount has to greenlight it, but they can't make the movie themselves. Which is why he's trying to produce a sequel to his own film instead of doing a reboot

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Sixth Sense was good, I personally consider Unbreakable better (I wasn't expecting a twist, I thought the twist was that David is actually a superhero) and Signs was OK.

Unbreakable suffered from Stupid Villain Syndrome. The guy's basic premise was flawed (the fact that he got the raw end of the genetic stick doesn't mean there's a superhuman out there somewhere), and his methodology -- cause random catastrophes around the world in the hopes that he would get lucky -- was dumb even by action movie standards.

Signs was terrible, on account of the fact that it features the dumbest aliens ever (which is saying something). So water's like acid to these guys, right? So, naturally, they seek to conquer a world whose surface area is 75% covered with the stuff, whose atmosphere drops the stuff as rain or snow, and whose organisms are composed of 60-70% of the stuff. The aliens in V look like absolute geniuses compared to these bozos.

I know, I know: allegory, symbolism, faith, blah blah blah. But I also know I'm not the only one who saw the "twist" and went "but that's stupid!" SoD is a thing.

I still find Lady in the Water amusing because he tries to tell a story about the important of myth and fiction but it's so up about its own ass about having a 'twist' that it makes no sense and Shyamalan gave up trying to prove how smart he is with his dumbass philosophy and instead just yells at the audience that he's the best writer ever with the worst thought out director cameo of all time.

He needs to get over this twist nonsense. He's done it effectively exactly once; repetition isn't doing him any favors, so it's time to move on.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Unbreakable suffered from Stupid Villain Syndrome. The guy's basic premise was flawed (the fact that he got the raw end of the genetic stick doesn't mean there's a superhuman out there somewhere), and his methodology -- cause random catastrophes around the world in the hopes that he would get lucky -- was dumb even by action movie standards.

Signs was terrible, on account of the fact that it features the dumbest aliens ever (which is saying something). So water's like acid to these guys, right? So, naturally, they seek to conquer a world whose surface area is 75% covered with the stuff, whose atmosphere drops the stuff as rain or snow, and whose organisms are composed of 60-70% of the stuff. The aliens in V look like absolute geniuses compared to these bozos.

I know, I know: allegory, symbolism, faith, blah blah blah. But I also know I'm not the only one who saw the "twist" and went "but that's stupid!" SoD is a thing.

He needs to get over this twist nonsense. He's done it effectively exactly once; repetition isn't doing him any favors, so it's time to move on.

It's not an allegory, the creatures in Signs are literally demons. The characters assume they're aliens, but there is absolutely no actual evidence anywhere in the film that they are in fact extraterrestrial biological entities. Nobody actually sees a spaceship and there's no indication that they came from space.

If they are in fact demons the plot of the movie actually makes sense- it would take some incredibly stupid aliens to come to a planet covered in a substance that kills them to break into houses and grab people who are also made out of a substance that kills them. I mean if just straight up water hurts them they should have been burning from being exosed to the air, it has water vapor in it, the moisture on the corn should have burned them, yadda yadda yadda. The movie practically screams "THEY'RE BEING KILLED WITH HOLY WATER" at you.

Also before you ask, the water in the house was holy because they daughter... blessed it... somehow. This isn't a hole in interpretation it's the writer not being smart enough to carry off the stealth twist and make it really make sense.

If you consider the intended (bizarre) message of the movie, the aliens actually being literal aliens from outer space makes less sense than Jaded Modern Society failing to recognize hell monsters and labeling them aliens.

Signs is also one of those annoying movies that picks up a meta thread and then drops developing it for something else. The bit in the middle which was basically a montage of what all the different people in town think the aliens are and why they're here was more interesting than the third act of the film and its asinine message.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:57 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It's not an allegory, the creatures in Signs are literally demons. The characters assume they're aliens, but there is absolutely no actual evidence anywhere in the film that they are in fact extraterrestrial biological entities. Nobody actually sees a spaceship and there's no indication that they came from space.

If they are in fact demons the plot of the movie actually makes sense- it would take some incredibly stupid aliens to come to a planet covered in a substance that kills them to break into houses and grab people who are also made out of a substance that kills them. I mean if just straight up water hurts them they should have been burning from being exosed to the air, it has water vapor in it, the moisture on the corn should have burned them, yadda yadda yadda. The movie practically screams "THEY'RE BEING KILLED WITH HOLY WATER" at you.

That's a fair point, but does anything in the movie indicate they're really demons? I mean, with the whole crop circle thing and the stuff on the radio I thought the alien bit was obvious. I admit it becomes a lot more plausible if they're literally demons, though. I'd even go so far as to say that would redeem the movie in my eyes.

Also before you ask, the water in the house was holy because they daughter... blessed it... somehow. This isn't a hole in interpretation it's the writer not being smart enough to carry off the stealth twist and make it really make sense.

Gibson's character was a priest, so can't it just be holy/sanctified/whatever because he and/or his offspring are actually blessed? I give that sort of trope a looooooot of leeway when it comes to "chosen ones", as the whole "she is so pure she cleanses things just by touching them" bit has a lot of mythological precedent.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 pm

What you're dealing with here is a shitty writer trying to be coy and subtle.

The news report (I think it's before the baseball bat crap) mentions (or maybe it's just on the screen? I'm not rewatching this crappy movie to check) that the defeat of the aliens began in the middle east using an ancient technique or some shit, because if holy water kills the aliens CNN wouldn't just say holy water kills the aliens, they'd be coy about it so people driving home from the theater talking about how dumb these aliens are would go ohhhhhh and realize the genius of the writer.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm almost curious enough about that to rewatch the movie with that in mind. Not quite, but almost.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:21 pm

I could probably get more out of it if I watched it (the film actually has a subtle anti-religious message when I really think about it, no matter what Shyamalan intended) but it's not very entertaining.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:50 am

The artist for the new Legend Of Korra ongoing comic book series has been announced.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/09/nycc-2015-legend-of-korra-comic-artist-revealed

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Avatar: Legend of Korra

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Yeah. I know, necroposting. But this needed to be shared.

The Avatar: The Last Airbender Ride in the Mall of America is in serious disrepair. It's been almost 3 weeks, and still noone has replaced the sign.

SPOILER: Show

This is just sad. If there wasn't proof that Nick didn't care for the series before, this is certainly damning evidence.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 pm

I could not find a thread for this show, which as discussed a while back, apparently thins counts as anime... so... this is a thread for all things Avatar related (and I don't mean those blue cat-thingys).

That being said, it was reported this morning that Avatar: The Last Airbender is being reborn as a live action series courtesy of Netflix. The co-creators (Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko) are both on board to oversee the show and its development, so it should be very true to the source material. And the promo image already makes it look pretty awesome.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Film and Video”