Favorite JRPG's?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am

FF VII and Crisis Core. Dem feels

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 am

Chrono Cross By far and away may favorite RPG to play. That game is the reason I still have my PS2 out and not stored away somewhere. Every once in a while I start playing it again and I can't tell you how many times I have beat the game. I have probably seen every ending several times.

Chrono Trigger The best RPG from the early days. In college my friends and I would play this one quite often. I have the DS version but I have been tempted to go get a NES and the game and play the original version of it for nostalgia purposes.

Dragon Quest 8 My favorite of the RPG series. I have all the DS versions of the series, all completely finished. By the way DQ9 is not bullshit, while not as good as some of the others it is still enjoyable. Turning my favorite RPG series into a MMORPG (like DQ10 did), that's bullshit.

Honorable Mention

Legend of the Dragoon Fun to play, great storyline, interesting all the way through, but the fight system is screwed up and involves too much button mashing. If it wasn't for that this series would be in my favorites list.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:FF VII

I enjoyed the story, disliked the battle system. Still better than 8 on both counts (only redeemed at all by the card game), and 9 felt like a joke where I was the puchline for wanting to go back to the old-school days of FF games. 10 onwards I've had no interest in at all.

I'm getting a phone upgrade in april so I suppose I'll finally get a smartphone and maybe check out that FF Dimentions game though, since it was outsourced to the same studio who did the ff4 ds remake and The After Years.

hunter21 wrote:Chrono Cross

Seriously? I don't understand how anybody enjoys this game other than appreciating the graphics and music. It retroactively ruins Trigger, has a bloated cast of mostly useless losers, and completely fails to match up to Trigger's excellent combat system and instead offers something tedious and impersonal. About the only thing it does well gameplay-wise was the idea of removing xp-gridning for levelups.

DQ9 is not bullshit

DQ9 is trying to be an MMO as well, which is why it blows.
you dont' even have charecters in that one, but rather purpose-made generic mooks. Major step backwards.
Last edited by NemZ on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm

I have more or less stopped playing these these days... but:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Seiken Densetsu 3
Terranigma ... wait, if I include this, does Legend of Zelda 3 count as well?
Final Fantasy VI

But keep in mind, these are really the majority of what I have played... So missing your favourite probably means I haven't even tried it. Sadly, I don't have time for these games any more, it's short adrenaline burst type games for me these days.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Maybe we should go one more and say WHY these game are our favorites? Otherwise this is just a list thread, and fuck those.

Eh, true...

I'll elaborate further on mine soon but for now, I'll just say I'll forever rate Tales of Phantasia higher than Chrono Trigger (as much as I love it), hehe.

:devil:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Blue Monday did you see my post directed toward you by any chance?

SPOILER: Show
I had a minor role in Phantasian Production's patch so I'm curious to see if people are playing it, and what their thoughts are on it.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 am

Nah, I haven't played the PSX version, only ever on a SNES emulator.

That's interesting that you were involved in the patch though Killer - I love the shit out of that game man, haha.
Warren Peace, #643919

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 am

One thing I always loved about Tales of Phantasia is that it's like the most bizarre revenge story ever. Cless rips across time, creating an even worse version of Dhaos than the one that wronged him (Or can we even say Dhaos is responsible for what Mars does at the beginning of the game?), and is making things arguably worse and worse as he goes on, culminating in
his dooming on an entire planet, at least in the original version. Later versions have Martel turning Dhaos' remains into a mana seed

People talk about early 90's games like EarthBound being subtly dark, but Tales of Phantasia is kind of crazy with how whacked out and morally contradictory it is. The game opens up with the "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of mankind," quote, but is Cless included in there, as somebody "evil"? After looking at a couple of different versions of the story, I'm not even sure myself.

Very strange and unusual game.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 am

It kind of feels like a "Shit, well... It's was either them or us" there at the end, and the opening quote just sets the tone so well...

I'll try and get around to doing a lengthy write-up on it sometime this week as well - People need to play this game. Srsly.
Warren Peace, #643919

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:16 am

Send me a link when you get that written up. I'd be interested in reading it.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:42 am

I would as well, Phantasia was my second Tales game.

CaasiBoy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CaasiBoy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana
Vagrant Story
Earthbound
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VI
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga I-II
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Xenogears
Baten Kaitos
(mainly for nostalgia but it is really is good, just easy)

Really the only RPG's I have that I don't care for are Legend of the Dragoon and Tales of Symphonia, and even they are really good, it's just the battle system that I don't like.

NIkkolas
Adam

Your Favorite JRPGs

•      
  •      

Postby NIkkolas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:31 pm

It's always gonna be Xenogears.

Why? Well for one thing the sheer breadth of the world and its background are amazing. Everything that lead up to the current state of affairs in the Xenogears world is lovingly detailed. All the scheming and plotting, the various civilizations, all of them get touched on to some degree. And then there's the supreme twist that ties all this greatness together
God is just a manmade superweapon that created humanity in order to "eat" it and repair itself.

On top of this, we have Fei Fong Wong and Elly Van Houten. Their love story is one of the best in video game history for me. The ending is so magical precisely because it is FINALLY the happy ending they have been searching for. (if you've beaten the game, you know of what I speak)

Supporting all this story and character stuff is a divine score by Yasunori Mitsuda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJMFBBlvJs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bYoYBW4gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOizLxOD4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvpjwTM8p0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQ6PeyzxDk

I must say, after watching Evangelion and hearing all these comparisons to Xenogears, I was very disappointed. NGE was nothing at all like Xenogears. It just makes me that over a decade later, people ar estill referring to Xenogears as "bd Evangelion fanfiction." (actual quote)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:22 am

Mother 1,2(Earthbound),3

Fire Emblem Awakening

The Persona series

Final Fantasy with VI VII VIII and X being the best. I hate IX despite the fact that the Internet hates VIII. It's funny, growing up I've never met anyone who liked IX or disliked VIII, but then the internet comes along and it turns out that we are the crazy ones. IX just felt like a massive step backwards with a horrifying art style that makes everyone look like chucky dolls. It's not charming, its terrifying! Bravely Default looks better in that regard, but haven't been able to get a copy of that yet.

Tales of Graces and Tales of Xillia. I am super pumped for Xillia 2 and Zestria.

Super Mario RPG, this game is just amazingly good.

I'm sure there is a bunch of other ones that I'm forgetting right now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 am

Dragon Quest 4
The story is so beautiful. Lots of emotional moments for the player.
When I finally beat the final boss I felt like I accomplished something great.
Also my favorite game in the Dragon Quest series by far..

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:52 pm

There are soooo many. Here what is popping in my mind.

Golden Sun 1 and 2. Maybe the most underated RPGs ever. These games are pure EPIC and ton of potential.

Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest V (PS2 remake)
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Demons Souls
Dark Souls
Ni No Kuni
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts (every entry except 300 something days i never played)
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Favorite JRPG's?

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:20 am

Well my list in no particular order (except the 1st one wich is my favourite game ever)
Xenogears
Chrono cross( your reaction; :scanners_head:)
Final fantasy 9
Parasite eve (if you can call it a Rpg)
Kotor 2
Baten Kaitos Origins
Final fantasy 10
Vagrant story
Grandia
Fire emblem 7
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densestu 3
Legend of Mana
Xenosaga 3
And
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”