3.33 English dub released, your thoughts [on the dub] after watching?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: 3.33 English dub released, your thoughts after watching?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:07 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:There's a lot that could have happened that would make the shaky fabric of Qs plot collapse. An apology could have been one of these things.

Shinji did apologize. Fixing the world with spears is the best kind of apology. (Also, he's 14. I'm pretty sure I never verbally apologized for anything at that age.)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:19 pm

It should be taken into account that Shinji used to reflexively apologize all the time. Asuka made a big deal about it I'm NGE, and it's also there in 1.0. The thing is that that he seens to have grown out of it by the end of 2.0.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

^ Did he apologize reflexively in NTE? I honestly can't remember.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to remember Shinji being a bit more of a punk in 1.0. His smug smile after defying Misato's orders during one Angel battle, and the unrepentant attitude after running away point to this.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:53 pm

^
*GASP* O_o

Then maybe, all this time, Shinji is actually the VILLAIN of this series, and all that "horrible" treatment he received from Wille was 100% justified, and his whiny-brat ass will be taken down a peg in the next movie, forever ridding us of his whiny, emo, pansy-assed, sorry-excuse of a mecha series Shounen series really needs! Complete with more real scenes with Asumari, the REAL protagonists of this series.

.........In case anyone was wondering, that was INTENSE sarcasm. :sigh:

And I'm sorry, but we've beaten this dead horse of a topic to the point where it's beyond mulch and maggots and delays, to where it's effectively killed my desire to see Final (if it DOES come out) and actually care what happens anymore.

I'll always have the original at it's back though, as well as Shinji's back too. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Shinji is the black hole which all Rebuild discussion orbits and eventually falls into. Maybe that's why he's BM-03. :lol:

What did you think of the voices for the new characters in the Wille crew? I really liked Sakura and Midori, Kohji had exactly the voice I expected him to have, Sumire was pretty good and Hideki didn't really say enough to judge.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:40 pm

I liked the voice acting a lot. There's nobody in the movie whose voice work I have any real complaints about.

Also, what smug smile? I don't remember Shinji ever smiling smugly in 1.0. Especially not after defying Misato's orders. He was very, very sad in that movie. It's easily him at his most depressed and lost, ignoring the end of 3.0. 1.0 is dark as hell, which I didn't really notice until after I saw 3.0 and then went back and watched the first movie again and noticed all the really depressing foreshadowing.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:Also, what smug smile? I don't remember Shinji ever smiling smugly in 1.0. Especially not after defying Misato's orders.

SPOILER: Show

Shinji also has WAY more agency in his own story in 1.11, what with him demanding Nerv Security to bring him back to Misato after running away, rather than Nerv Security just revealing themselves to him eventually.

Shinji's not merely a sad little boy in NTE. NTE Shinji is a sad little boy with an active defiance against authority, suggesting a slightly different hatred towards his father than NGE Shinji had.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: 3.33 English dub released, your thoughts [on the dub] after watching?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am

let's try and keep this thread focused on just the dub itself, not various other issues people have with the film. There are other threads for that.

Title updated.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”