The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Yeah, this looks really good. I'm gonna have to give this sucker a thorough once-over this weekend.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Well, I finished reading the English version of Side B, and it has a bunch of mistakes. Augh! These errors are not in the French version, so it seems that once again it's just the English edition that messed up. In fact, the English version is also missing a few little things here and there. I wrote a detailed review of the book, so if you want to know more about it, including what's missing from the English edition, I hope you enjoy the review! I made this new post for it on my book review thread. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:47 am

Those errors are really, really annoying. They're the result of pure laziness on the part of Udon, and to make matters worse I really doubt we'll get a second printing that corrects the errors. I feel like the damn book's useless now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:06 pm

I don't think I'd go that far. It's a beautiful book, a great visual recap of the series, and still a great resource tbh. I simply put post-it notes containing Literary Eagle's noted translation errors in my Side A/Side B, and I'll update them if any more come to light. I didn't expect this book to even be released stateside, since Chronicle's such a niche release, even among hardcore Eva fans. We didn't even have much information from the Chronicle releases before these came out.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:28 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Those errors are really, really annoying. They're the result of pure laziness on the part of Udon, and to make matters worse I really doubt we'll get a second printing that corrects the errors. I feel like the damn book's useless now.

I felt the exact same way about Side A when I first looked through it, but I flipped through it a bit the other day(for the first time since May) and it's still kinda fun. It's a real shame for sure, and there's no excuse at all for there still being problems with Side B, but I still really dig the illustrations and the screenshots. Whenever I'm looking for some information on Eva that isn't already in my brain(god forbid) I always just hit up the EvaWiki.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 am

Re: the missing text at the bottom left of page 15 of the English version of Evangelion Chronicle: Side A, has anyone already nailed down the exact wording yet?

I strongly believe the interrupted sentence would read:
Though she is generally quiet and rarely expresses emotions, Rei does smile freely in Gendoh's presence.

I base this on:
Hopefully that solves at least one of the many mysteries of Evangelion!
“The ray of light called hope eternally shines upon humanity. But humanity also drown themselves, clinging on to the malaise known as hope.”

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 am

Finally got a hold of both books. I have the complete first printing of the full encyclopedia, so there doesn't seem to be anything new here, but it is nice to have at least some of Chronicle translated. The translation was of a surprising level of quality, as well. Some weird choices here and there, and the occasional mistakes, but on the whole smooth and professional.

Having browsed both volumes, I don't particularly understand why Side A and Side B exist in the first place. I suppose it's disappointing that a highly abridged form of Chronicle is the most available form of it. Goes to figure that most of the stuff that interests me the most was not deemed worthy of inclusion. Say no to so many intriguing tidbits you'll only find in Chronicle; say yes to space-hogging episode recaps you can find anywhere.

Another matter of disappointment is that, of course, with full translations of some parts, Chronicle's flaws become bare for all to see. For the most part, the text is on point, but on the other hand there are some incredibly weird, out of place, and at times outright false claims.* There are definitely enough to make Chronicle as worthy of scrutiny as any other 3rd tier source. I'm wondering if pointing out these instances would be worth its own thread.

* For example, A-18, "...Eva-02 burned a lot more energy than the other units and therefore couldn't remain active for as long". Um, hello, EoE? Speaking of which, lol at the text (B-17) trying to justify Eva-02's different appearance in EoE on the basis of the unit being "destroyed" (...a knife in the head justifies such a hyperbolic verb?; even if you go with "broken" or something, hakai seems a bit much) in episode 24 and, as a result, somehow getting completely revamped in a couple of days. Points for creativity, I suppose, but I can hear the writer fanwanking all the way from here. And before you start nitpicking -- this is just an example.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:45 am

I brought this some time ago, both the A side and the B side I thought it they were both really good, I loved that it showed layouts of the Evangelion's weapon sizes and information.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

Is there anything interesting in the English Eva Chronicles?

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:18 am

I heard that these two editions were somewhat boiled-down from another Japanese book, or something like that. Did anyone find anything interesting therein?

It's been a few years since I've been here, glad to see people are still involved.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Is there anything interesting in the English Eva Chronicles?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:17 am

You could start with the thread on it. The books are substantial extracts from the magazine-style publication. Those of us with no other access to them find them interesting to have, but Reichu keeps pointing out bits that are missing, or in some cases baffling (in the source as well).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Is there anything interesting in the English Eva Chronicles?

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 pm

So it seems like the fact of Gendo wearing suspenders under his coat is the only thing thus far. I didn't know about the shoulder pylon batteries though.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”