Rebuild-specific References/Homages/Etc.

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 pm

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Rebuild-specific References/Homages/Etc.

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:43 pm

^What is the show on the left?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Gravity Falls on the Disney Channel.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:39 pm

The more this show references Eva, the more compelled I am to actually watch it. I hear it's good, but how good is it?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:41 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The more this show references Eva, the more compelled I am to actually watch it. I hear it's good, but how good is it?

Gravity Falls has only referenced Eva once, and I'm actually not sure it was a legitimate, intentional reference.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:20 pm

So I've been watching Diebuster recently, and I can't help but wonder if Unit 02' Gamma is an homage to Dix-neuf:
SPOILER: Show

Damaged right eye, clunky jaw armor with "teeth" covering its real mouth, and a purely mechanical left arm.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 am

This might be a coincedence, but i found the climax of chapter29 of The Bridge bears a few similarities to Ha's climax
Giant abomination of a Kaiju devours the hero's waifu which causes the monster to change into something worse
From sheer willpower, the hero gets back up more determined than ever with his body glowing brightly and sprouting wings made of pure light
Climax ends with the monster laying on the floor and the hero grabbing its core to rescue the the one trapped inside

Also, come to think of it, does the design of Monster X look like an Eva to anyone else?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 am

First shot of Kiznaiver EP 6 is basically the first shot of 1.11 with the red ocean washing on the beach. Trigger continues to be Trigger.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:19 am

Could Rafflesia's new outfit have been inspired by the test suit from Ha?

No hotlinking.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Here's the new villain from Boom's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #4:

Glad to see that Mark.06 is still getting work. :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Misato is that you? From Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am

Mario Odyssey and 3.0

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:42 pm

This isn't actually an Eva reference/homage, but it's close enough

https://www.designboom.com/art/ron-muec ... 2-15-2017/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Not sure if this is a direct reference, but in the flashback scenes of Darling in the Franxx, the characters are all wearing hospital gowns and chokers, similar to what Shinji was given to wear at the beginning of 3.0.

The characters in the show have all been isolated from birth and raised to become mecha pilots. They don't know anything about the outside world or their role in it and there are hints that
they aren't meant to live beyond childhood.
In this context, I guess the gowns and chokers are supposed to represent their lack of agency and individuality.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

View Original PostShinji Ikari Expy wrote:Not sure if this is a direct reference, but in the flashback scenes of Darling in the Franxx, the characters are all wearing hospital gowns and chokers, similar to what Shinji was given to wear at the beginning of 3.0.

The characters in the show have all been isolated from birth and raised to become mecha pilots. They don't know anything about the outside world or their role in it and there are hints that
they aren't meant to live beyond childhood.
In this context, I guess the gowns and chokers are supposed to represent their lack of agency and individuality.

To be completely honest, the show is so packed with Eva references that I stopped counting a long time ago ^_^
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:47 pm

I wonder where i have seen a giant humanoid biomechanical monster created by Hideaki Anno levitating over a city...

Giant God Warrior short
Fixed image links - Blockio
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:03 pm

^
None of the pics show, however I was able to see them when I selected “view image on another tab” in the browser context menu. Make sure the link you used is really the image, not the hosted site.

By the way, excelent observation!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:43 pm

yeah, the images are all broken on my end, just reads as "image".

although technically, the god warriors are a reference to Nausicäa rather than Eva, although the paralells are absolutely there.

EDIT: I went ahead and fixed the image links, it was indeed a question of gallery vs individual image, and yeah, that scene is definitely a reference to the god warrior short, so I got that the wrong way around the first time, lol
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 am

It should be noted also that Anno did work on the Nausicäa movie, specifically regarding the god warriors scene
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Kiiwiibird
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiiwiibird » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 pm

I know that voltron is controversial and often Hot Garbage but i swear to god they have a decontamination scene a la 2.22 and god i need someone else to remember what i'm talking about because i'm going mental about it
Asuka or Bust

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”