E3 2016

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: E3 2016

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

The title is kind of odd. I have a feeling they wanted to go with "Call of the Wild", but couldn't due to copyright infringement.

*Edit* Oh man I was actually right about it being a post-apocalyptic Zelda game!

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/legend-zelda ... 16-trailer

Nintendo wrote:Step into a world of discovery, exploration and adventure in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a boundary-breaking new game in the acclaimed series. Travel across fields, through forests and to mountain peaks as you discover what has become of the ruined kingdom of Hyrule in this stunning open-air adventure.

Come to think of it, that Sheik Slate even has the same function as a pip-boy. Fallout: Hyrule indeed!
[Redacted]

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:29 am

Personally, I think the name is great.

But man, gotta love the Death Stranding trailer... Easily my favorite thing to come from E3 this year. Kojima is the Hideaki Anno of the game industry.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:33 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Kojima is the Hideaki Anno of the game industry.

A comparison that's surely been made several times on this site -- perhaps even by myself.

Dude walked into the horror genre for like 5 minutes and changed it forever.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:A comparison that's surely been made several times on this site -- perhaps even by myself.

Dude walked into the horror genre for like 5 minutes and changed it forever.

Certainly. Hell, I've probably already made the comparison on here before. :lol:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 am

E3 has been ok this year for me.

Just finishing today and tomorrow with Square Enix to see if VII Remake gets a mention. Very surprisingly for the Mircosoft press conference there was no announcement of Halo 6 or a supposed Halo 3 anniversary, I will say I am a fan of Halo Wars so I will be checking out the beta. Nothing on the apparent Red Dead 2, the two new Xbox Ones seem like pretty awesome ideas.

That "it's not Bioshock" game looks disturbing as hell. Resident Evil 7 VR is nightmare fuel. I played a bit of Crash when I was younger, so I may check out the remasters. Final Fantasy XV has gotten a lot of coverage with Brotherhood episode 2 and a new Kingsglavie trailer. Both of which are amazing, and XII Remaster is going to get some game-play footage later on today.

Kojima's new game looks particular disturbing, but you know I feel bad for the man after I learned what Konami did to him. That was serious a bit fucked up, screwed themselves out of their best video game director, hope the company goes down. Trying to say I'll check it out once we learn more, Norman Reedus in that trailer was particular interesting. I heard someone say this game will be a parrallel to what Konami did to Kojima and I like that idea.

Fallout 4 add on for building your own Vault look pretty cool, I haven't played in a while and I will need to check out the Dlc and mods support on my Xbox. I would be excited about ESO but the subscription fee drove me away from wanting to play the game. Also wasn't the Dark Brotherhood dlc suppose to be out over a year ago at this point? Skyrim remaster is a bit early, but I understand why they are doing it, I hope since I own the legendary edition on steam and all DLC on Xbox 360 I will get the Remaster for free on Xbox One. I would've liked to see a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster, but I guess Bethesda won't being doing that which sucks. Also no Elder Scrolls VI which makes sense since Fallout 4 is still new.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Kojima is the Hideaki Anno of the game industry.

He is great for a video game director (which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot because the writing and directing talent in this industry is overwhelmingly garbage compared to other media), but personally I don't think he's anywhere near Anno's level. The Phantom Pain really shook my faith in Kojima's abilities and I hope he hasn't completely lost his touch. I will be watching Death Stranding closely and I hope it turns out good, as I have said before Kojima does his best work with a new IP/plot and this game may be what he needs to get his mojo back.

Anyhow, this tuned out to be a great E3. Not nearly as good as last year, I mean we got two holy grails announced last year (FFVIIR and Shenmue 3), but it was better than any others in recent memory. I got quite a few things checked off my list:

Persona 5 US release date: Check
Horizon: Zero Dawn: Check
Ghost Recon: Wildlands: Check
The Legend of Zelda Wii U: Check
South Park: The Fractured but Whole: Check
Dragon Quest Builders physical localization for the west: Check
Final Fantasy XII IZJS HD Remaster: Check
New Kojima IP: Death Stranding
Fallout 3 GOTY/New Vegas UE remaster for PS4/X1 (with mod support): Very likely now since they're doing exactly this with Skyrim
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Here's a new interview with Kojima about Death Stranding. He provides some clues as to what it will be about. It's a pretty ambitious project, he intends to create an entire new genre with this game.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima ... n=homepage
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 am

I'm kind of disappointed that FromSoftware never followed up on the 3 projects and the DS3 DLC they were teasing days ago.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:52 am

Reading those tweets, I'm not getting the impression at all that Death Stranding is a horror game, which disappoints me. I'm happy that Kojima's making games again but I was really hoping when I saw Reedus that I was seeing the teaser for the game that would have been Silent Hills.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”