Content Submissions, Suggestions and Comments

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Content Submissions, Suggestions and Comments

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:09 pm

I've noticed that there is a distinct lack of references/citations in the First Ancestral Race's article. This, combined with much of the included information not matching the translated FAR entry in NGE2's Classified Information materials, makes me doubt the veracity of much of the article right now.

So... Does anyone know where the extra info in the article comes from?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Based on the revision hsitory, my guess is the NGE2 game, though some of the stuff seems to come from back when V wrote the article.

Here's a thread that may be relevant: thread/8703/NGE2-First-Ancestral-Race-and-Seeds-of-Life/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Can you give some examples of material not matching up? I read through it and found a few ideas that seemed to be assumptions, but nothing immediately jumped out at me that conflicted with the CI.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:So... Does anyone know where the extra info in the article comes from?

If it isn't from either the CI or from Kaworu's bad ending (PSP version), then it's probably bullshit.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:12 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Based on the revision hsitory, my guess is the NGE2 game, though some of the stuff seems to come from back when V wrote the article.

Here's a thread that may be relevant: thread/8703/NGE2-First-Ancestral-Race-and-Seeds-of-Life/

Huh. Someone should make a summary of what that ending is saying about the FAR lore, and then figure out how to make references for the article.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Can you give some examples of material not matching up? I read through it and found a few ideas that seemed to be assumptions, but nothing immediately jumped out at me that conflicted with the CI.

Well, the parts about there being only seven Seeds in existence and the FAR using the whole thing to reincarnate their souls aren't mentioned in CI at all. And the "imminent destruction" and "various demographics" parts, too.

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 am

The bit about seven seeds comes from Kaworu's ending in the NGE2 game, so that's valid since it isn't contradicted anywhere.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:Well, the parts about there being only seven Seeds in existence and the FAR using the whole thing to reincarnate their souls aren't mentioned in CI at all. And the "imminent destruction" and "various demographics" parts, too.

That's all from the Kaworu ending.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Bagheera wrote:The bit about seven seeds comes from Kaworu's ending in the NGE2 game, so that's valid since it isn't contradicted anywhere.

Valid due to lack of contradiction, yes. But I remember that the Classified Information entries (which come from the same game) are stated to fall somewhere between tier 2 and tier 3 of your "what is canon?" system (which I honestly find quite reasonable and well-devised), due to lack of reliability on whether or not it's indeed straight from Anno. To quote (emphasis mine): "The CI could be considered to fall somewhere between tier 2 or tier 3 canon, due to the fact that there is no way of confirming that the information is "100% Anno" and wasn't embellished at all by the game's producers."

So with that in mind, wouldn't Kaworu's ending count as being of similar canon-ranking by that system? Heck, for all we know Gainax had concocted almost all of the CI entries as well as the exposition in Kaworu's ending during the development of the game, and simply are not willing to admit that they hadn't had any solid concept for the FAR et al. when they made the anime and manga beyond the sparse bits that were present in the Proposal (basically, that the precursor race exists and are the creators of the Seeds and their Moons, and thus indirectly creators of the Angels/Apostolos and humanity).

Reichu wrote:That's all from the Kaworu ending.

Yeah, though the choice of vocabulary seems to take unnecessary liberties and assumptions compared to what's provided in the actual translation of the ending... unless there is another translation that I'm not aware of (I haven't gone through the whole thread, BTW).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:53 pm

I generally agree, but unless it's contradicted somewhere else I really don't see the problem.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:03 am

On a different note, I'd like to draw your attention to a glaring mistake in the transliteration of Vincennes' first name. The katakana in this image are actually pronounced as Marii rather than Maria, therefore her name is not "Maria" -- or Mari/Mary, for that matter, since that one has a short i sound at the end, and the latter is typically rendered as Meari(i) in Japanese -- but rather "Marie".

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 pm

OK, someone corrected the names, but now her image on the Extracanonical Characters page is broken and I have no idea how to rename the original file. Help, please?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm

You need to "Move" a page in order to rename it. Not sure if that's only an admin-only ability. FIxed.

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:03 am

Translating "全重連形" as "DMU type" in the Explanation of Evangelion translation is, I believe, incorrect. "全重連形" only refers, as far as I can tell, to a variation of the DD51 class. From looking at a machine translation of the Japanese Wikipedia page on the class, the differences seem be about controlling multiple locomotives from one cab (a machine translation of the Chinese Wikipedia page seems to back this up), which is presumably where "DMU type" comes from. Whatever is meant by "全重連形", it cannot be "DMU type", as DMUs are self-propelled carriages, and not locomotives like the DD51 class. If it is about controlling multiple locomotives, then the translation I'd go with would be "Multiple-unit control type".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 am

I'll take another look at it. Thanks for pointing this out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 pm

In the Creation subsection of Rei's article, it's claimed that she "was created sometime between 2004 and 2008, as suggested by her appearance in Episode 21." Setting 2004 as the earliest boundary is perfectly logical, as that's the year when Yui died, giving Gendo the motive to create Rei. Setting the latest boundary at 2008, however, seems rather arbitrary, considering that Rei-1's first public appearance is in 2010. For all we know, Rei-1 was technically just a few months old despite having the appearance of a post-toddlerhood child, and the inhuman part of her makeup gave her a super-accelerated rate of learning that explains why she can speak so well for her actual age (assuming that she actually understood the only words she spoke on-screen, incidentally spoken to Naoko, rather than being taught to recite them perfectly by Gendo).

So, where does the 2008 date come from?

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:09 pm

So while watching Rebuild 2.22 again, I realised Misato's Mazda Cosmo is basically in the color scheme of The Circuit Wolf's protagonist Lotus Europa Special, a car that looks similar to the Mazda Cosmo.

Coincidence or shout-out?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Popche
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Popche » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 pm

There aren't any pages for the following material:

Legend of Piko Piko Middle School Students(Pikopiko Chuugakusei Densetsu)(Manga Series)

Tony Takezaki's Neon Evangelion(collection of stories)

While these are nowhere near canon, it'd be cool to have wiki pages for them on the site.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm gonna take an educated guess and say that the few people on here who have bothered to actually read them chose not to write up a wiki article on them to not waste any more time and effort on those compilations of bad shitposting :|

and, having read the first volume of both, I can't exactly blame them for it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I thought Takezaki's Evangelion only WAS a single volume...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Popche
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Popche » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I thought Takezaki's Evangelion only WAS a single volume...

It is a single volume made up of numerous short stories afaik.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”