NGE Magic: The Gathering set

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

NGE Magic: The Gathering set

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:30 pm

I'm making an Evangelion Magic set, and so far it's progressing nicely. I'm approximately 30% done.

Just a warning: Not every card will necessarily make sense flavor-wise, since I'm putting gameplay function considerations first... Door of Guf being the first of which, since I came up with the card concept first then had to find something Eva-related to affix it to... which doesn't quite match up.

This will be a small-sized Magic set, meaning 145unique cards.
Last edited by Yaywalter on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 am

No Magic fans around these parts? :p

Anyway, the set's progressing smoothly. I'm now up to 38 cards... not all of which are "done" per se, but then again none of them are truly ever finished until I've got all the cards in the set completed and I think they're all good to go.

Lance of Longinus, for instance, was completely changed. In fact, none of the first six cards I posted have remained untouched since I originally posted them. They've all been tweaked, even if only to a small degree. And actually, quite a few of the cards I'm posting now have already had some changes made to them since generating these images.
Last edited by Yaywalter on Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:12 pm

The artwork on the Rei and Zeruel cards are awesome.

jesseburg
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jesseburg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

As a long-time lurker, I felt compelled to register on the forum just to say that these are awesome! Keep it up!
"For if this world is only of me, then there will be no difference between me and nothing."

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks, glad you guys like 'em.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the incredible artwork I'm using. :p

Anyway, i've updated the main post to have all of the new cards, as well as the most up-to-date revisions of all the others. ^_^

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat May 03, 2014 1:16 pm

If anyone knows of some sweet Sandalphon artwork, official or fanmade, I'd love to see it... it's one of the few cards that I'm having difficulties finding satisfactory artwork for. Matarael's another.

Thanks in advance. :)

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 am

Alright guys, here it is... the complete Geofront set:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

jesseburg
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jesseburg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Wow, very impressive! They look great. Have you tried playing with them?
"For if this world is only of me, then there will be no difference between me and nothing."

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks! :D

Sadly no, I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. But I'm thinking about building a cube with them and see how drafting with some friends goes... :lol:

Nuuskamuikkunen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nuuskamuikkunen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I see that you've put a lot of work and effort in those cards. That is good and all but I can't help but notice some of the mistakes (or peculiarities if you want to call them that) that are present on some of the cards.

Not every card will necessarily make sense flavor-wise, since I'm putting gameplay function considerations first...
I will be taking this into account while nitpicking about some of the cards.

Here are some things I think that could be improved:

1. Give Ritsuko an ability or effect that distinguishes her from your typical non-legendary creature with a common ability. Giving her only vigilance is a bit bland.
2. Make all the characters a "Legendary Creature" instead of a regular Creature. It just irks me when I see that they aren't Legendary. This will have an effect on the gameplay so it is possible that this will mess with the balance of those cards.
3. Using +X/+Y on the card "Transcendence" isn't necessary. You can just use +X/+X and make some changes to the text.
4. Use words instead of numerals when describing an amount of tokens put on the battlefield.
5. Saying that you or a player must do something is unnecessary. Cards have a may-clause or none.
6. You can't search your library for spells. A spell is a card on the stack. A card becomes a spell when it's cast and is then moved to the top of the stack from the zone it was in, which is usually its owner's hand. A spell remains on the stack as a spell until it resolves, is countered, or otherwise leaves the stack.
7. Change "Can be cast from exile" to "You may cast -card name- from exile".
8. Be consistent with using reminder text on your cards. A card like "Test Tube Faerie" has it while "Sea of LCL" hasn't.
9. The equip ability on the Evangelion units doesn't do anything because you can't equip creatures on other creatures. You can use a keyword ability like living weapon but that could mingle with the balance and/or the flavor of the cards in question.
10. Using both monocolored hybrid mana symbols and regular mana symbols looks strange. Try using either of those but not both at the same time. Using hybrid mana and regular mana is fine.

As for ideas for new cards. I think that penguins are cool and you could use that creature type to introduce a tribal theme in your set.
What also is worth noting is that I think that it would be better if you placed an amount of cards between spoiler tags because then it wouldn't take up so much space as it does now.
So all in all, Please keep on making those cards because they are pretty neat. :rei_blush:
Last edited by Nuuskamuikkunen on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 am

View Original PostNuuskamuikkunen wrote:I see that you've put a lot of work and effort in those cards. That is good and all but I can't help but notice some of the mistakes (or peculiarities if you want to call them that) that are present on some of the cards.

I will be taking this into account while nitpicking about some of the cards.

Here are some things I think that could be improved:

1. Give Ritsuko an ability or effect that distinguishes her from your typical non-legendary creature with a common ability. Giving her only vigilance is a bit bland.
2. Make all the characters a "Legendary Creature" instead of a regular Creature. It just irks me when I see that they aren't Legendary. This will have an effect on the gameplay so it is possible that this will mess with the balance of those cards.
3. Using +X/+Y on the card "Transcendence" isn't necessary. You can just use +X/+X and make some changes to the text.
4. Use words instead of numerals when describing an amount of tokens put on the battlefield.
5. Saying that you or a player must do something is unnecessary. Cards have a may-clause or none.
6. You can't search your library for spells. A spell is a card on the stack. A card becomes a spell when it's cast and is then moved to the top of the stack from the zone it was in, which is usually its owner's hand. A spell remains on the stack as a spell until it resolves, is countered, or otherwise leaves the stack.
7. Change "Can be cast from exile" to "You may cast -card name- from exile".
8. Be consistent with using reminder test on your cards. A card like "Test Tube Faerie" has it while "Sea of LCL" hasn't.
9. The equip ability on the Evangelion units doesn't do anything because you can't equip creatures on other creatures. You can use a keyword ability like living weapon but that could mingle with the balance and/or the flavor of the cards in question.
10. Using both monocolored hybrid mana symbols and regular mana symbols looks strange. Try using either of those but not both at the same time. Using hybrid mana and regular mana is fine.

As for ideas for new cards. I think that penguins are cool and you could use that creature type to introduce a tribal theme in your set.
What also is worth noting is that I think that it would be better if you placed an amount of cards between spoiler tags because then it wouldn't take up so much space as it does now.
So all in all, Please keep on making those cards because they are pretty neat. :rei_blush:

Thanks for the in-depth critique.

I'll probably go back through all the cards and correct all the errors in the templating and verbiage, such as "can be cast from exile", reminder text inconsistencies, etc.

Though I probably won't do a lot of mechanical tweaks, if any.

Ritsuko was intentionally made bland. I mean, as a character she's not bland, but outwardly she appears to be rather bland. Plus a lot of cards in this set don't exactly fit in with Wizards' NWO concept, so I needed a few simple ones to make the set less complex. But hey, at least she's french vanilla... If I were particularly cruel, I could've made her plain vanilla. :lol:

I had originally considered making the human characters legendary, but I didn't want to make all the creatures in the set legendary... and ultimately I decided that legendary was more fitting for the Angels, so the humans were made non-legendary. I know, it's scary having multiple Shinjis running around... in another plane of the multiverse, perhaps I would've filled the non-legendary creature requirements of the set with penguins. But I'm afraid I didn't think of that, and I probably won't be changing it for the forseeable future due to the amount of reworking the cards would need.

As far as the Evangelions go, Magic cards are allowed to break the rules. But of course I wouldn't be crazy enough to just go throwing "Equip" on a creature and call it a day, hence why the Evangelions have the subtype of "Equipment". So they're creatures, yes, but they're also equipment at the same time. And naturally I just imagined that if it were a real thing, that there'd be some handy card-specific notes detailing how an artifact creature that's also simultaneously equipment would be intended to work.

Depending on how any playtesting I may or may not conduct goes, I will likely adjust some of the mana costs of the cards, but that will probably be the most significant mechanical change I make to the cards.

Nuuskamuikkunen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nuuskamuikkunen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:53 am

That's good to hear. Are you also going to make custom basic Lands for your set?

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 am

No, I don't think I'll be doing any basic lands for the set unfortunately.

I haven't had time to do any of the aforementioned corrections to the wording of certain cards, but I have made a PDF to make printing out the set relatively painless. I'm intending to print them out and do some playtesting with some friends, but I'll give you guys the link to the PDF in case you want to try the set out yourself. It contains 4 copies of each common, 3 of each uncommon, 2 of each rare and a single copy of each mythic rare. And if you do give it a try, I'd definitely love to hear how it plays, even about the things that suck... nay, especially about the things that suck.

After I get a feel for what works well and what doesn't, I'll do some rebalancing and correct as many of the templatiing errors I can catch for the final release.

Anyway, without further ado, the PDF:
[url]http://www.ar-machine.net/forums/GEOFRONT.pdf[/url]

It is 32 MB, so it might be easier to just right-click and "save as" rather than try to load it up in your browser.

And if you're interested in drafting the set and want to go all-out, I've created some printable booster pack packaging:
[url]http://www.ar-machine.net/forums/GEOFRONT%20PACKS.pdf[/url]

Printing, cutting and folding the packaging isn't exactly rocket science, but basically it goes something like this:

1. Print it. You get 3 booster pack's worth of packaging per page, so divide the number of packs you need by 3 to determine how many pages to print... rounding up, of course.

2. Cut it. As I said, 3 packs per page... which means cut it along the lines that divide the page into thirds, NOT the line going down the center. That line is for folding, which brings us to...

3. Fold it. Fold it along the center line so that the artwork is facing outward. Put cards inside. If your cards are printed out on plain paper, you might want to bookend them with actual Magic cards (perhaps a land and a token?) to make the pack more rigid. Once you've done that, fold the sides inward, towards the side that doesn't have the artwork on it. Then finish it up by folding down the top down, again towards the side without the artwork, and adding a piece of tape to seal it shut.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:55 am

preparations for a draft are mostly complete.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

kayne2000
Embryo

Re: NGE Magic: The Gathering set

•      
  •      

Postby kayne2000 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi

I apologize for bumping this if it is against the rules and being new....but i registered just to ask if these could be reuploaded as it seems the website they are uploaded on is down

as a big Eva fan and Magic fan this sounds absolutely amazing to me and I would love to try it.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Sadly I'm having difficulties locating the files among my plethora of hard drives.

If I find them, I'll repost.

kayne2000
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kayne2000 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Sadly I'm having difficulties locating the files among my plethora of hard drives.

If I find them, I'll repost.

Thanks for looking

I know the feeling about disorganized harrddrives...as much as I try to organize them

Return to “Fan Works”