The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:16 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Lord Kagrenac did something stupid with the Heart of Lorkhan during the Battle of Red Mountain, and they all vanished from the face of Nirn.

Damn... that's a politician for you, always doing stupid stuff with ancient relics and ruining things for the common folk. :lol:
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:44 am

Actually it's entirely possible to read that whole situation as a mirror of instrumentality. A technologically advantaged species using the heights of their craft to experiment with a powerful relic relating directly to their own origin, all in a bid to achieve godhood through creating an artificial god in their own image which resulted in their mysterious simultaneous disappearance from the world. And much like instrumentality, opinions differ greatly on just what actually happened!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 am

I am and I are all we; Numidium.

^_^
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Maybe not the Dwemer themselves, but they did leave all their junk behind. Indoor heating, deadly mechanical soldiers, Dwemer metal, everything's there except for the creators. Maybe they're all on vacation?

Long story short:
SPOILER: Show
Their souls are the skin of a giant robot that got removed from time and is now floating in a nonexistent void
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun May 01, 2016 2:57 am

Started a new game of Skyrim after... what... 3 years?

No fast travel allowed, feels like I'm playing the real game this way. I head for destination x, but I come across a cave/ruin/fort and check it out instead. Adventure!
Bought a horse right away, currently riding Frost, my second horse. The first disappeared after a battle with Krosis. Just disappeared. Cheek.
Every random dragon encounter has played out like so: I get blasted with a sneaky fire/frost breath, I gallop to the nearest storm cloak/ imperial outpost, dragon gets distracted and slowly drained by the archers, I steal the final blow.
I'm pickpocketing a lot in this playthrough. It's funny how the residents of an inn or shop will follow you around, watching you.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun May 01, 2016 5:33 am

...You didn't check out random caves and whatnot the first time?

Man, people must play these games very differently than I do.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon May 02, 2016 4:52 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:No fast travel allowed...

This is the only way to play, or at least try to cut it down to the barest minimum.

Also, Skywind blog update from March: https://tesrenewal.com/blog/blog-post-march
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 am

^Many of my most memorable moments in the game occurred due to random encounters on road trips.

I can't wait for Skywind's release, although it looks like it's still a long ways to go. Each time I see an update it looks more and more impressive.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 09, 2016 7:13 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Long story short:
Their souls are the skin of a giant robot that got removed from time and is now floating in a nonexistent void

Clarification

They are only the robot's skin in a metaphorical sense. They give structure to the concept of IS NOT which, when powered by the heart of Lorkhan or the soul of a Shezzarine, gains the power to erase or rewrite and ultimately smash reality exposing the giant gears inside Nirn.

I love this shit.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 pm

So apparently, Skyrim is getting a remaster. Gotta say...why? The game isn't even that old yet, and it can be made to look up to modern standards with mods. Why not remaster one of the older games, like Oblivion or even Morrowind? They're great games but graphically they suck by today's standards, to a much greater extent than Skyrim. :huh:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:10 pm

Because money. They know people will shill out their cash just to have it on the new gen consoles, and moreso for Skyrim given its popularity. That, and it's the current title, so why not have it also available and bringing in profits on the current consoles? I'd love a remaster of Oblivion as well, and perhaps in good time, but the demand simply isn't as high. In the meantime, I actually am excited for this, given that my PS4 is my only console at the moment. I need something to balance out Fallout with.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 pm

Meh, just wait for the modders behind SkyWind to finish.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm

I can't wait for the remaster. A 64 bit executable at long last. Hopefully they just use the same engine as F04 and modders can work on some Skyrim stuff with the power armor system. Dwarven Armor maybe.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:17 pm

SSE is coming in around 24 hours. Some people will be lucky to get a preload, but choice mod authors get to convert their mods a week earlier.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 pm

One day recently when I logged onto Steam it told me that if I purchased the non-SE game and all DLC I'd get a free upgrade to Special Edition, so I sprang for it and had to pay for only the difference between what I had and what I didn't.

Cool thing is, I still haven't played Skyrim yet so this'll be my chance to get in on the ground floor of a resurgence of popular interest in it and play it literally as if for the first time (because it will be) but with all the upgraded goodness and with all the years-later popular mods already available. :jiggy:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

The one thing that kept it popular despite games like Dark Souls and The Witcher is that the game is highly moddable.

But first, play the game in vanilla before hitting a level (around 20-30) and figuring out what aspects of the game you want to improve through mods.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:52 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:The one thing that kept it popular despite games like Dark Souls and The Witcher is that the game is highly moddable.

Maybe not the one thing, but one among many things. I've never played Skyrim with mods, and I still much prefer it over Dark Souls and The Witcher. Dark Souls requires an entire different mood to play, one desiring challenge and difficulty, whereas Skyrim can be more casual. Same with The Witcher in many ways. I think Skyrim beats The Witcher in terms of versatility with character building as well (not just design, but stats and development). Really I think Skyrim is just a better overall experience for casual gamers than those other two games, and will therefore always trump in popularity.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:22 am

I do urge everyone to get the unofficial bugfix patches and SkyUI. That's just pure upside and doesn't affect gameplay other than making it more stable and far more convenient.
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:28 am

My preload has begun. :peace:

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I do urge everyone to get the unofficial bugfix patches, SkyUI and better sorting.

SkyUI and Better Sorting don't even exist yet for Special Edition.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:52 am

Seriously? I assume that will be corrected very shortly.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”