Missing text - Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Neil-T
Embryo

Missing text - Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 am

On the topic of the missing text in the English version of Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A (bottom left of page 15), has anyone already nailed down the exact wording?

I strongly believe the interrupted sentence would read:
Though she is generally quiet and rarely expresses emotions, Rei does smile freely in Gendoh's presence.

I base this on:
Anyone else agree?
“The ray of light called hope eternally shines upon humanity. But humanity also drown themselves, clinging on to the malaise known as hope.”

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Missing text - Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:49 pm

Oh, nice job! I'd say you've probably nailed it, or at the very least gotten really, really close. If I ever read the English version again (I tend to favor the French version since it doesn't have all those mistakes), in my head I'll probably read that sentence the way you've rendered it here. Good detective work!

:asuka_thumbsup:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the reply, Literary Eagle, and for the warm welcome to a newbie. ^_^

(Are you bilingual, by the way? That's a handy advantage to have!)

So, yeah, hopefully it at least offers readers something plausible to fill in the blanks.
“The ray of light called hope eternally shines upon humanity. But humanity also drown themselves, clinging on to the malaise known as hope.”

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Knowing other languages is indeed a handy skill to have! I can read English, French, and some Japanese (still need a dictionary for a lot of kanji), and it's been very useful for all these book reviews I've been doing, and for other stuff as well.

Thanks again for sharing your nice bit of detective work for the English edition of Side A! I actually sent UDON Entertainment an email about the missing text and the other errors last year, but I didn't receive a reply, so I'm glad that someone was at least able to figure out what the English version of that sentence most likely says. Yay!

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:14 am

Wow, I'm jealous, Literary Eagle. I mean, Chronicle's been out in French for ages!

I know some Japanese but nowhere near enough to get by without subtitles. I can read hiragana and katakana but very few kanji, I'm afraid. Those are some impressive skills you have!

Re: no reply from UDON, that's a shame. I'd hoped they would put the corrections and missing text on their website, or at least acknowledge the problem. I can't claim to know how their books are put together, but you'd think the text files must still exist somewhere.

I've been curious, by the way: how come the text is missing in the English version but the French is okay? Is it just that the English text takes up more lines and comes too far down the page?

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Neil-T wrote:I've been curious, by the way: how come the text is missing in the English version but the French is okay? Is it just that the English text takes up more lines and comes too far down the page?

The English text takes up eight lines, while the French text fits into seven lines. However, the problem was still easy to avoid. The English version uses a bigger font for the "Assigned Pilot - Rei Ayanami" heading, and also puts blank lines before and after this heading. The French version uses a smaller font for the heading and also doesn't have those unnecessary blank lines taking up valuable space, so if the English version had done the same thing then there still would have been enough room to fit all eight lines of text without any of it getting eaten by the picture. By the way, the English version even cuts off a little bit from the top and bottom of the picture... just a tiny amount, but it's noticeable when I put the English and French versions close to each other.

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:46 am

That's a fascinating insight. I had no idea just how different the two layouts were.

Yeah, you're right: that's a couple of needless things that have combined to cause that mistake.

I think, as an anime fan, you kind of get used to seeing translation blunders and stuff, but text buried under a picture is right there on the page. It's not like you'd need to have in-depth knowledge of Eva to spot it as a proof-reader. I don't understand how that mistake slipped through the net.

Seriously, though, 'Murdoch' Institute in Side B?! Nightmare!

Neil-T
Embryo

Missing Text guessing game

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:50 am

Anyone fancy a go at the Missing Text guessing game?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Thank you for putting this mystery to rest!

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:19 am

No worries, Tumbling Down. Glad if it helps. ^_^

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”