Spear logic

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Spear logic

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:40 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Wonder what the logic is, then, of putting Eva-01 in orbit (Neo-Nerv's logo is on the container) and letting her fall in the hands of Wille. Even if everything they do is in accordance with the scenario, just seems like making things more complicated for the sake of making them more complicated... Well, I guess the same thing could be said for a lot about 3.0.

Seele may have forced Gendo's hand when it came to exiling Unit-01. It was a strategic sacrifice.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:56 am

Well, Eva-01 still emitting high-density coreficating L-barrier, so maybe it was a question of creating a workable place around NERV HQ.
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:11 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And where is his wife? Getting Unit-01 surely remains crucial for Gendou.

Do we know that, though? The scenario this time around seems to be very different. I'm not sure Gendo's motives are the same now as they were before.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Putting Unit 01 in space keeps it safe from Wille's anti-Eva crusade and keeps Shinji out of Seele's hands. As long as he's in the core, they can't risk getting him back without putting Unit 01 back within Gendo's sphere of influence. Unit 01's kind of a liability for their plans now.

Bagheera wrote: Do we know that, though? The scenario this time around seems to be very different. I'm not sure Gendo's motives are the same now as they were before.

The scenario for Shinji and Rei was written before Yui "died" and her disappearance into Unit 01 seems to have been planned all along with this Gendo aware that it would happen. I really get the impression that he and Yui are working toward the same goal, whatever that is. He says they'll see each other again soon, so a reunion of some kind is evidently part of the end game.

What I don't get is where Unit 13 factors into his plan. He was adamant that they awaken Unit 01 as quickly as possible after Seele spilled the beans on Mark.06 and their goal was in sight when it did, but then in 3.0 he completely shifts focus to Unit 13 with no mention of Unit 01. What purpose does it serve when Unit 01 has Yui and Rei? Is it just a power source for the flying pyramid? If Unit 13 is actually the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, maybe it was part of the plan all along and circumstances pushed it back. :uhh:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Eva-13 may have been simply a way of Gendo regaining Seele's trust and giving them a guarantee of their scenario combing to fruition after the mess 01 made. But Gendo was once again able to outwit them with both the spear change and counting on Wunder showing up
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm pretty sure the extent of Unit-13's usefulness for Gendo has been had. He needed it to screw over Seele, which has now been done, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it again in any significant capacity. Maybe a brief glimpse to show it being destroyed, since I don't think any Evas will be surviving Final and it hasn't been entirely dealt with as of yet (petrification a la the MPEs?).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 am

But in the end of Q Gendo said, that awakening of Eva-13 was a part of his plan, so there probably would be some use for it in Final.
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:45 am

Plus Kaworu's soul is probably in there, and he and Shinji need to "meet" again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Plus Kaworu's soul is probably in there,

The way we were shown Kaworu shooting off into infinite distance suggests otherwise to me, though I agree it's far from definitive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:04 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The way we were shown Kaworu shooting off into infinite distance suggests otherwise to me, though I agree it's far from definitive.

According to the "Kaworu in 13" idea: Kaworu was "shooting off" because the cut is from Shinji's POV. Shinji is in his plug, being shot at rapid speed away from Eva-13. (Can't say "infinite distance", BTW, just "distance".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:37 am

Sure I can say "infinite distance" if I want. I have in mind the possibility that the end of his move is not in our space-time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sure I can say "infinite distance" if I want. I have in mind the possibility that the end of his move is not in our space-time.

Based on what? The cut directly follows the ejection of Shinji's plug. Hence, Kaworu receding because Shinji is moving away from him is a far more natural reading than... Kaworu suddenly moving into another space-time at that exact moment for [reasons]? :um:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:55 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sure I can say "infinite distance" if I want. I have in mind the possibility that the end of his move is not in our space-time.

That makes at least as much sense as Quantum!Rei, so sure, why not?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Based on what? The cut directly follows the ejection of Shinji's plug. Hence, Kaworu receding because Shinji is moving away from him is a far more natural reading than... Kaworu suddenly moving into another space-time at that exact moment for [reasons]? :um:

The way it's shown looks to me far more like a metaphysical move than simply a physical one, whether of Shinji or Kaworu (which would be a figurative move either way, as there is no way they could see each other at that point, and K's head is a bloody mess anyway). Kaworu could be heading for the Chamber of Guf, for instance, which I'm pretty damn sure doesn't have any space-time coordinates.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:23 pm

The order of things, once again:

-Shinji ejects from Eva-13
-Kaworu shown receding into distance

It doesn't make any particular sense to cut the film this way unless the enigmatic Kaworu shot follows directly from (i.e., is a logical result of) Shinji's ejection. How exactly does Kaworu entering the Guf (which is DIRECTLY ABOVE THEM, by the way...) accomplish this? I don't think it does. The direction of movement is clearly established, with Shinji as the one in motion away from Eva-13 and the remains of Kaworu. Using metaphysical imagery to show that Kaworu is being left behind makes sense for reasons yourself point out -- how else are they supposed to show it?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The direction of movement is clearly established, with Shinji as the one in motion

That is indeed logical, and even makes an otherwise puzzling shot less puzzling; but I wouldn't say it's clearly established in the shot itself, at least to the extent that I have failed to see that possibility in three years! But I see no reason to argue against your interpretation.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”