Ireland Trip 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:34 pm

I had a feeling the Irish accent thing was a bit of an exaggeration. . .

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Day 3

And on to day three of our adventure tour through Ireland. (Didn’t think I was gonna give this up, were you? XD)

After again a nice “hearty” breakfast” at the hotel, our first stop took us to the beautiful estate, Kylemore Abbey, built in 1871 initially as a home for Mitchell Henry, an English financier, and for his wife Margaret Vaughan.

SPOILER: Show

Please excuse the excess photos of this shot, as this day was one of the few days we had were actual sunlight was seeping through the constant overcast we were getting, and I wanted to get some good shots. :)

And here's a painting of Margaret Vaughan herself. Mitchell was really devoted to her, wasn't he?

While initially belonging to Mitchell Henry and Margaret Vaughan as a home, after Margaret’s death in 1875, only 4 years after the Abbey was built, the Abbey itself went through multiple strings of owners before the Irish Benedictine Nuns as a safe haven for the nuns who fled Belgium during WWI. It served as a school for the Nuns all the way up til June 2010, where it now resides as a nature park and a historical site, with the Church still active. :)

Typical all-girls school outfit for the Abbey. Looks kind of familiar?

As for Mitchell and Margaret, they both where buried here on the grounds together. My, how romantic. XD

As for the rest of the day, it was mostly spent driving around the coast through the moors, where we got to see some nice beaches, oyster farms, and some more impressive cliffs. Now, I assure you, there will be some great natural landmarks that you will see in the upcoming days, but for now, I want to leave it as a surprise. :)

So, after our long drive through the country (with a couple of stops for lunch, I had a Panini, so no photo for anything special :P ), we arrived at our hotel near Sligo, which for that night, we had a special treat.

That night, we all went out to a special tavern, where we not only got to hear the jubilant music from a two-man band, such as “The Wild Rover”, but I also got to have my first ever pint of Guinness from Ireland.

Now, I may have been a teetotaler when I first started this trip, but pubs and Guinness are a stable of Ireland, so I figured, “What the hell?” and downed one.
I got to say, it was a little milder than I thought it was, but it had a bitter effervescent and a very memorable taste to it, so I felt proud of myself embracing my heritage. Oh, that’s right, I am partially Irish, I forgot to mention that. ^_^;

After having two pints and a shot of Guinness, we all “stumbled “ back to the hotel, where for dinner, I had:

Roast Beef with Potatoes,

And Chocolate Sponge Cake.

And that’s pretty much it for day 3 in Ireland. There were some days that lingered on than others, as any trip would have. :)

And I hope I’m not boring you guys with my delays in some of them. Shifts need to be taken at work, and there are a lot of pics to filter through. :) Still, I look forward to posting more, so I hope you’ll enjoy them too. :)

Onwards!
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:06 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Typical all-girls school outfit for the Abbey. Looks kind of familiar?

I guess it sort of looks like an ultra-conservative version of a Japanese winter high school uniform, but beyond that I can't think of anything specific.

That abbey is beautiful, that guy sure must have thought highly of his wife.
[Redacted]

Butterscotch
Adam

Re: Ireland Trip 2015

•      
  •      

Postby Butterscotch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 am

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Ireland. :)
http://cairdiuil.deviantart.com/
https://www.facebook.com/cairduels

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:21 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I guess it sort of looks like an ultra-conservative version of a Japanese winter high school uniform, but beyond that I can't think of anything specific.

You'll see various forms of school uniforms across the British isles and Ireland, it's not ultra conservative for the area really, I don't know what the weather's like in Ireland but it's probably more of the same stuff that we get over in the UK.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”