Moments When You Hated/Were Frustrated With Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

lily liver
Embryo

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:13 pm

well maybe you're right.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Gendo- when he wouldn't stop during Shinji's pleading as Eva 3 was being destroyed.
Asuka- when discussing her stepmom could've been a moment of levity between her and Shinji and she turned it into another bitch fest.
Misato- for not intervening a tad more during the descent arc even as she became increasingly aware of the Asuka and Shinji's mental states.
Naoko- everything she does irritates me, save for building the MAGI.
Toji- Upon my initially viewing of the early episodes, I thought he was an asshole and a bully (obviously that position has changed, but that was my initial impression).
Kaji- for being too awesome to live.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:49 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Kaji- for being too awesome to live.

Really though. :resurrect:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Kaji was pretty awesome, but that's not why he died. I've always figured his requisite gaping character flaw was Fox Mulder syndrome, and that that's what killed him. I do agree that "you're late" is a frustrating thing to watch, however.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Only time I felt "disappointed" with a character that I can remember was in ep 19 when Kensuke calls Shinji and bitches about not being an eva pilot. I remember thinking "really dude...stfu." Bad friend moment.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:25 pm

At number one is basically Shinji in EoE, because he basically stood there and did nothing at all, even unit 01 had to do something for him when he was in the cage.
Number two is Shinji in 2.22, when he saw unit 03 approching and he didn't do anything, i mean he was so selfish, he ejected Rei himself from unit 00 in the end of 1.11, why didn't he tought of that during that fight?!
Number three is Asuka in NGE overall, she tought that she knew everything, she thought that she was the best of the best (and in some way she was), but when she saw that she wasn't as strong as she tought she was, she was/is naive during the hole saga and altought she has "grown up" a little in 3.33 she still is a little cocky.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Oh Rits-chan, you could have done so much better.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:19 pm

View Original Postmammaluser wrote:Number two is Shinji in 2.22, when he saw unit 03 approching and he didn't do anything, i mean he was so selfish, he ejected Rei himself from unit 00 in the end of 1.11, why didn't he tought of that during that fight?!

The Angel was holding the plug in. Ejecting it wasn't possible; the bridge crew tried it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The Angel was holding the plug in.

He could have at least tried, i mean he's in an eva.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't think you could blame him for that, how could he pry the entry plug loose without killing Asuka?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Im getting a little gendo here but... one just hopes for the best, whatever happened at that moment the dummy syst. was going to be tested anyway.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:13 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't think you could blame him for that, how could he pry the entry plug loose without killing Asuka?

But if only he'd tried, then he could have at least exposed Eva-01 to Angelic contamination actively instead of passively!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 pm

The Lance is still available in NERV's basement (didn't Misato give Shinji the nickel tour in 1.11 just prior to Op Yashima?). Maybe use it to temporarily incapacitate Unit-03 just long enough to rescue Asuka. Then use it again to permanently incapacitate Bardiel. Return it to it's storage case once the angel stops moving.

I agree it's not quite as flashy as catching a falling angel from orbit, but at least it would've been more of a variation from the original battle that played out with Touji.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:40 pm

I would like to add (and I shudder saying this since she's one of my faves) Misato. Specifically, that very last moment during episode 24. Retroactively speaking, this is the very last actively "real" moments in NGE before everything gets all ethereal, surreal, space, and hallucinatory. Thus, both Shinji and the audience need her to say something meaningful, comforting or at least insightful. This last desperate thread of hope is ripped apart when Misato tells Shinji that he [Kaworu] chose to die for a false hope.

I feel like this, in that moment, was the wrong thing for Misato to tell Shinji. Also, if she was so concerned about Kaworu's unearthly nature, then why did she let Shinji sleep at his house (which of course begs the question of why wasn't she keeping a better eye on him?)

I just feel like Misato became increasingly detached during the Descent Arc, but she probably should have had Shinji with her as much as possible after the reveal at the end of episode 23. I mean really, after Ritusko's breakdown, did Shinji and Misato just casually walk out (that car ride home must've been awkward)?
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Misato, not unlike Ritsuko, ended up "repeating the sins of the parent" despite concerned efforts not to. Against severe adversity, she discovered how poorly suited to parenthood she was, and escaped from her emotional obligations into work -- much as her father did. EoE even punctuates this transformation by having Misato's final moments precisely echo Dr. Katsuragi's.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:I would like to add (and I shudder saying this since she's one of my faves) Misato...

Well, she's certainly not one of my faves, but I would like to nominate her for a (dis)honorable mention. Specifically, I refer to her absolute failure to immediately notify Shinji when Touji was drafted to be the Fourth Child.

If you go back several episodes and take into account her petty criticism of Shinji in the aftermath of his non-berserker-mode victory against Shamshel (which also happened to provide NERV with its first and only intact S^2 engine sample, thank you very much), her silence on the matter of Mr. Suzuhara is a superlative example of hypocrisy and/or weakness. Take your pick.

I mean, here she is trying to pull rank on Shinji and make him feel like crap for not following orders. How the hell do you legitimately expect a fourteen year old kid to understand the chain of command after maybe a couple weeks of training? You guys threw Shinji out there against both the third and fourth angels with a negligible amount of preparation, zero backup, and virtually no strategy. And yet, he just went two for two. Shut up and take the damn win! I only wish that, by the end of episode four, Shinji had followed up his decision to rejoin NERV by graciously accepting their original offer of living by himself in his own apartment! Maybe it would've been easier for Shinji to respect Misato as a superior officer if he didn't have a front row seat to every single one of her drunken binges! But I digress!

Okay, let's all calm down for a moment. I guess, according to Misato, it would appear that Shinji is supposed to act with the utmost militaristic professionalism at all times, but, regardless of how many angels he defeats/# of times he saves NERV's ass, he should still be treated on a need to know basis. As it turns out, the identity of another pilot who might very well be putting their life on the line next to him in battle is info that requires a level of security clearance he just simply doesn't deserve.

Back when Misato decided to get all high and mighty with Shinji (because, well, let's face it, he made her look bad), the kid was still just a rookie, hoping he could remember the location of NERV's bathrooms. I would consider that a mitigating factor and let the kid off the hook. By about the middle of the series, however, as soon as Misato learns of Touji's newfound pilot candidate status, this grizzled veteran with all the experience in the world, suddenly falls victim to a severe case of selective mutism. So then, what the hell is her excuse?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:01 am

I find myself chronically peeved at all of the characters in this satanic vehicle for constantly failing to do and say all of the things that I, as an upstanding white bread Christian of impeccable moral character and virtue, would unflinchingly manage to do in perfectly equivalent circumstances. May this cast of sick, sinful pagans burn in the fires of damnation for all eternity.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:45 am

All this aggression will not stand, maaaaan
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 am

Shinji obviously for his actions during the beginning of EOE.

Ritsuko for not giving a single fuck about pilot's wellbeing throughout the course of the series. She was the only adult (besides Gendo obviously) who didn't have some emotional connection to the pilots. She was the only one who didn't make any effort to reach out to them in times of trouble.

Misato for her behavior in Episode 23. Her overture to Shinji after Rei's death was worse than her kissing Shinji in EOE. She was only thinking about herself.

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Kaji was pretty awesome, but that's not why he died. I've always figured his requisite gaping character flaw was Fox Mulder syndrome, and that that's what killed him. I do agree that "you're late" is a frustrating thing to watch, however.

I think you guys are really letting Kaji off the hook here for some reason. Kaji deserves a lot shame because he didn't do ANYTHING to stop his death, well knowing that it would destroy Asuka, who he knew was an emotionally scarred young child afraid of abandonment, and it would destroy Misato, his lover. His devil may care attitude was selfish. At the end of the day, he couldn't bring himself to take responsibility, which directly impacted everyone around him in a detrimental way. In fact you could say Kaji did one of the most egregious things in the show by bringing Gendo the Adam embryo, which was basically Gendo's key to Instrumentality. All that was facilitated by Kaji. He endangered Asuka, Shinji, Misato, and the countless of other people on board Over the Rainbow by having Adam with him while an Angel was looking for it, forcing Shinji and Asuka to fight while he took the opportunity to run away. Also, he endangered Misato's life in Episode 7 by facilitating "the project" that would lead to Jet Alone exploding.
()

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:17 pm

The tangent about Kaji's phone calling habits has been split HERE.

Now let's get back to the actual topic.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”